Search Unity

Browser like features in inspector

Discussion in 'Editor Workflows' started by tristan-unity, Jun 1, 2017.

1. nzhangaudio

nzhangaudio

I want back & forth on the project window mostly.

2. 00christian00

00christian00

So whatever happened to this feature? I just had to buy an asset to do this.

oxysofts, Ruchir and GilbertoBitt like this.
  3. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

I do understand the difficulties in designing a solution that fits many people, but I'm still waiting for a solution provided by Unity.

I guess the main question is which system or window takes care of the history. It could be the inspector, but that would couple scene hierarchy and project. Or, each window could track its own history. Even showing the last three items as breadcrumbs at the top could help.

But I think Unity is in a better position of doing user tests and finding the right solution, so please do! ;)

4. benoitd_unity

benoitd_unity

Unity Technologies

By the way this hasn't slipped from the radar, it just didn't get done because of other priorities. We'll try to provide an update soon.

Michoko, JoNax97 and Xarbrough like this.
  5. LightStriker

LightStriker

SisusCo likes this.
  6. Tortuap

Tortuap

Yeah I can't wait for Unity 2025.0 to have this feature !

7. John_Leorid

John_Leorid

6 Months have passed - every window now has a search bar, except for the inspector xD

no history, no back and forward buttons so far.

There's a lot going on with the tools framework, scene view overlays and GraphView Editor windows.
    Copy & paste has been implemented on inspector fields (I guess, unless it's one of our assets doing this) as well as Property Inspectors (flying inspector windows you can open with the right mouse button).

Still - the history thing would be really awesome, as well as searching inspector fields.

Novack likes this.
  8. freso

freso

Almost there. Only two more years to go!

9. chrisk

chrisk

I get a chill whenever I hear Soon from Unity.
    Unity Soon(tm) can mean anywhere between 10 days to 10 years.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2023
  10. chrisk

chrisk

IMHO, Unity should focus on "Making Game Fun!" instead of trying to catch up Unreal.
    We've seen some pretty graphics Unity can do and I get it. Thanks to the modern GPU.
    But no matter what Unity do, they will never catch up Unreal.
    Unity should be all about "Making games in a simple way. and making it fun!" This is where Unity can excel compared to Unreal. Unreal is just too complicated to learn and it's gets even more so.
    This means making the Editor very intuitive to use and performant.
    But the truth is that Unity Editor still lacks very basic functionalities and it gets dog slow as project size grows.
    The real problem is that Unity doesn't even know what they even don't know.
    Look how many years they spent time on DOTS that no one cares, and the new renderer that doesn't mean much to many.
    Yet, basic functionality such as this and fast Editor will affect everyone immediately to boost productivities but still to no avail.
    Will it change?, perhaps when the current management are replaced.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2023
  11. Thygrrr

Thygrrr

Old thread but the idea (or rather, basic assumption) is good - Browsers are good at browsing stuff.

So...

I'd want this feature for the Project Tab, just sayin'. And multiple project tabs (middle click on folder to open new project tab).

You know. Browser-Like.

Docked inspector can be linked to that particular project tab. (I might try to hack something like that)

Oh wow, and middle click on Asset or Hierarchy entry or Component to open Focused Inspector would be good instead! (that is already doable, if a bit jankily, with Shortcut - yay! :))

By the way, the default shortcut for Properties / Focused Inspoector is terrible, because it is super similar to the Play Mode controls shortcuts.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2023
  12. eudendeew

eudendeew

How come there's navigation buttons since Windows 97 (12 years since MS-DOS)
    but Unity is now 18 YEARS 6 MONTHS and still doubts if it would be useful to add basic navigation to the project browser or the inspector?

Novack and AnomalusUndrdog like this.