Search Unity

Question Broken shaders when loading from AssetBundle

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by rile-s, Jan 27, 2021.

1. rile-s

rile-s

I'm working on a system for loading scenes that have been exported from another project. When a scene is loaded from an AssetBundle, the materials have a weird artifact that goes away as objects with materials not in said AssetBundle are rendered over it. This happens in both the Game View and the Scene View.
    Screenshot 2021-01-25 180808.png Screenshot 2021-01-25 180956.png
    I will try to provide any information needed to fix this.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Code such as scripts and shaders needs to be in your base project.

If you don't reference the shader in your base project, it will be dropped / stripped at build time.

You can get around this by referencing all the shaders you want in the base project.

Just make a material using that shader and put it in a folder under Resources/

3. rile-s

rile-s

The shader used in those screenshots is referenced and used in the base project. So, I do not believe that is the issue. But placing a material with the shader in resources did not solve the issue.

4. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Interesting. The only other thought is, are you building the asset bundle for the correct target architecture? Usually if you don't it doesn't work at all, but I know for some simple cases it would work and shaders would borked.

Re-reading the above, I realize that I've never made asset bundles for another game, always kept it same-game. I actually kinda thought that would be necessary given the way Unity maps GUIDs for everything.

5. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

6. rile-s

rile-s

Hmm, looks interesting. I will try this real soon, I hope this fixes it.

7. rile-s

rile-s

It actually worked! I am not so good at using Google. Thank you so much. :)

Kurt-Dekker likes this.
  8. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Cool! What was it you did, match up the meta files? Just curious and for future reference if anyone finds this thread.

9. rile-s

rile-s

I just copied the whole project over and placed my scripts in. I do believe it was the meta files that fixed it.

Kurt-Dekker likes this.