Search Unity

1. Get all the Unite Berlin 2018 news on the blog.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2018.2 has arrived! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. ARCore is out of developer preview! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Magic Leap’s Lumin SDK Technical Preview for Unity lets you get started creating content for Magic Leap One™. Find more information on our blog!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Broken Heirarchy in 2018.1.6f1

Discussion in 'Extensions & OnGUI' started by Acciptirade, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Acciptirade

Acciptirade

I realize this isn't a support thread, I'm more of just trying to raise awareness/see if this is a well-known issue.
    According to Unity's Issue Tracker, this issue was resolved several years ago, though obviously not if I'm experiencing it now.
    Trying to rename anything in the hierarchy makes the whole tab's text dissappear and is no longer editable. Upon mouse motion through the hierarchy or trying to rename anything, I'm given a nullreference exception in UnityEditor.ToolTipView.Close(). Here's a copy of the error:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. UnityEditor.TooltipView.Close () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/TooltipView/TooltipView.cs:94)
    3. UnityEditor.RenameOverlay.RemoveMessage () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/RenameOverlay.cs:335)
    4. UnityEditor.RenameOverlay.EndRename (Boolean acceptChanges) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/RenameOverlay.cs:111)
    5. UnityEditor.IMGUI.Controls.TreeViewController.EndNameEditing (Boolean acceptChanges) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/TreeView/TreeViewController.cs:821)
    6. UnityEditor.SceneHierarchyWindow.OnLostFocus () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneHierarchyWindow.cs:416)
    7. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    8. Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    9. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    10. System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    11. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:291)
    12. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:284)
    13. UnityEditor.HostView.OnLostFocus () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:131)
    I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling, and upgrading Unity to the newest version to no avail. If anyone has any suggestions if this is a unique case, I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks for your time.

2. Acciptirade

Acciptirade

An update: it seems Unity's tooltip is entirely broken, though I'm not sure what to do about it. A forum post addressing a similar issue suggested resetting Unity's layout, (top right corner). However, my issue is that the tooltip, for whatever reason, isn't being referenced at all, and as such, I'm actually given another error upon trying to reset to Unity default: failed to destroy window #1, which in this case, is the hierarchy view.

3. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I assume you mean 2018.1f6, yea?

Moving to correct forum.

4. Acciptirade

Acciptirade

Yes, thank you. Updated title as well.

zombiegorilla likes this.
  5. Acciptirade

Acciptirade

Another update: per a second forum post I read, I tried renaming the project file, which seemed to work. I will post if this solves my issue or if I experience degraded performance again.

6. Peter77

Peter77

If you know how to reproduce the issue, please submit a bug-report to allow Unity Technologies to fix this issue.
    https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting

If you can't do that for whatever reason, please let us know how to reproduce this issue, so someone else could send a report.

7. Acciptirade

Acciptirade

Unfortunately, I have absolutely no idea why this happened so it'll be a longshot as to trying to reproduce it.
    However, I did manage to solve the problem (supposedly, as it hasn't happened again) by renaming my project folder.