Search Unity

Games Bring Back Life - Alpha demo preview

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by Mjello, Sep 1, 2021.

1. Mjello

Mjello

Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
    VadimKrakhmal likes this.
  2. Mjello

Mjello

Another preview video. I probably should make some commentary but i'll wait until I make a tutorial. There is some different gameplay logic that I have not seen anywhere. Some, because I could not make it any better. Some, just to try something different. A demo is coming so you can try it out. Still got some severe bugs that are really game breaking.

3. Mjello

Mjello

4. Mjello

Mjello

5. Enzo36t

Enzo36t

That looks like a very interesting experiment and I am sure I could watch it for hours will all that is moving around and happening.

Mjello likes this.
  6. Mjello

Mjello

7. saturnuns-ringar

saturnuns-ringar

I wanted to try it out. It looks great. I like the idea of making the desert green, and I like the mellow music (who made it?) and the sound. Regarding the sound (I'm a sound/music nerd) some of the ambient sounds that were in the first video posted here are not faded and end very abrutly. Nevertheless, I'm on Linux and there's only a Windows-version available to download, right?

Mjello likes this.
  8. Mjello

Mjello

Experimental Linux build Download

Only windows. I can make a linux build for you. But it is very unlikely that it will just work. Would you like to try it anyway?

Edit: The experimental linux build is now online

Please let me know if it works or not. I am looking forward to hear your feedback on this, because I would love to see this running on Linux. I have no linux machine, so I can't test it myself.

If it works, I will continue making Linux builds of the game in the future. If not. Well its too early for me to support multiple builds if it requires extra work.

Credits for the music can be found in the credits link ingame.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2023
  9. saturnuns-ringar

saturnuns-ringar

I tried it, but unfortunately it did not work so well. It starts up, shows an intro screen with Thanks etc. but then I just get a black screen with a green-ish circle, which I can move with the mouse. The music plays. I can't do a screenshot. The screenshot is completely black for some reason. :|

How difficult is it in general to support multiple platforms? I hope the tiny project I'm working on now runs on macOS and Windows as well, but I haven't tested it yet.

10. Mjello

Mjello

There is no simple answer to that. In this case, the black screen is probably caused by your system not being able to render a transparent texture.

It may also be that the game froze for some unknown reason. It requires troubleshooting and in general every time you find a feature, that is not working in the end user environment. You have to design around it. Or drop the feature. So if Linux and MAC support is essential, you should test the game on those systems from day 1. Same goes for Xbox, Android and all the other platforms Unity supports.

Once the game starts talking to the operating system, it is no longer a simple question of Unity supporting the platform. The features you use in the game also has to be supported by the platform.