Search Unity

bring back hierarchical documentation

Discussion in 'Documentation' started by feiting, Nov 12, 2014.

1. feiting

feiting

If I'm looking at the documentation, then chances are I have no idea what the name is of the thing I'm looking for.

My original dev machine had various categories of editing apps for indie games. I had about 20 apps, only half of which I knew the name for, but I knew where to find them.

One day I installed windows 8. I now develop for Mac. I'm actually a very good iOS developer, but I prefer windows. I just can't wait until the UI is usable again.

Anyway, I'm making a point. I can't use your docs very easily, I fumble when I used to be able to click by relation, forming neural networks in my brain on how the innards work.

Also, I'm not just randomly posting this, I finished a card game in Unity recently, and plan to purchase Pro as soon as 5 comes out.

Thanks!
    S.

2. Rasmus Selsmark

Rasmus Selsmark

Thanks for your feedback.

When you say "bring back hierarchical documentation", which version of the documentation are you then referring to, where it was the case? You can see older versions of documentation at e.g. http://docs.unity3d.com/420/Documentation/ScriptReference/index.html (replace "420" with the version you would like to see docs for)

I believe we still have the same structure in the new documentation layout. Personally I mostly use the search feature to find what I'm looking for, rather than trying to locate it in the hierarchy.

Rasmus