Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Games Brick Miner - Mobile Game

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by triple_why, May 14, 2020.

1. triple_why

triple_why

Hi!

My second mobile game project Brick Miner has evolved from alpha to beta phase ^^

Brick Miner is a brick breaker and mining game. You collect minerals by breaking bricks. More deeper you go, more hard to dig. You find more valuable minerals and gems as you dig deeper. By selling them you earn money and upgrade your digger machine and cutters. While playing you use consumable power-ups to get rid of dangerous situations.

I tried to make it nice to look at and fun to play.

Gameplay video (link):

UI video (link):

Since it's still a WIP, there are modifications and additions to come, I'll keep this thread posted. Any comments are welcome. Thanks =)

My vlog:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVdYUuiqR_dDpN5Dep8JriA

My general devblog:
    https://www.randomim.com/blog

2. munchou

munchou

Hi!
    It looks quite fun, I really like the idea of the blocks having visible health, it gives a little strategic aspect to it.
    If you ever release it on Android, I'll give it a try! :)

3. triple_why

triple_why

Thanks! If things go as planned, this will be released at the end of June, for Android and iOS, to which I'll post links here ⛏

4. triple_why

triple_why

Hi!

As part of the beta development of my second game, I added a start screen showing several tips and an end screen showing a summary of the stage. ✌ I also made adjustments to difficulty level of the game and in-game economics.

5. triple_why

triple_why

Adding multi-language support was harder than I thought, but funnier as well =) So here is a quick look at how it looks like o_O

6. triple_why

triple_why

Sounds and a menu music are added =) It's amazing to observe how sounds amplify the mood of the game ^^

7. triple_why

triple_why

I've added a multiplatform account system to Brick Miner ⛏ It's based on a php/MySQL database server with a cryptosystem, and has features like login mechanism, e-mail address validation, password reset by e-mail, create/delete players, etc… ^_^

8. triple_why

triple_why

9. munchou

munchou

Hi triple_why,

I just reached level 200, so time for some feedback!
    First of all, that's a great game, really pro-like, it hasn't been buggy so far (except some touch screen issue, but I suspect my greasy fingers and my aging Nexus), it's neat, clear, and runs smoothly.

I have ONE big reproach to make: the bonuses buttons are way too close to the controlling bar, as it's hard to keep the finger on the line. As a result, I lost some hard earned money. So now I play using my fingers all over the screen (I didn't know that was possible at first, only realized that around level 170... hum...), and not by keeping them on the line. Which in the end is easier and allows more precision :p

Apart from that, I cannot think of any other issue. The difficulty is here, and I had to try some levels several times.
    Of course it gets a little boring after a while, but I enjoy getting back at it and play for some time.

triple_why likes this.
  10. triple_why

triple_why

Hi munchou,

Many thanks for the valuable feedback! And for the kind words ^^

About power-up buttons, that's a good point. I had thought that controls' layout would be better this way for one hand-held play. But at the next update I'll consider moving the buttons a bit away from the slider or to above digger.

Ps. Controlling by touching the digging area is prescribed in one of the tips.

Thanks again =)

11. munchou

munchou

In one of the what? :D

I noticed something strange in the shooters upgrading. The current prices are like that:
    Lvl2=3500, Lvl3=8100, Lvl4=18700, Lvl5=43300, Lvl6=100000.
    When I upgraded to level 2, I noticed that the prices of the remaining levels didn't change, but I wasn't sure because I had just started playing the game. Then it happened again when I upgraded to level 3.
    So I thought "Maybe I can actually SKIP a level and directly upgrade to level 5? Which would save me a lot a money considering that the prices don't go down accordingly."
    I did that last night, and it worked! To me, that's not a logical situation.

Shouldn't be either
    - the next upgrades are locked and can only be unlocked if the previous level has been upgraded (which makes the game a bit harder)
    - or the costs are reduced depending on how much has been spent. For example, if I upgrade to level 2, then the prices of each coming upgrade should see that amount deducted.

I honestly prefer the second option, as I've always found strange that it was not possible to go directly from level 1 to 5 when it's about physical upgrade (except in RTS games where civilizations evolve through TIME).
    Just imagine, you want to go from 4GB to 64GB of RAM, and you've got to pay for what's in between (8, 16, 32...) instead of directly adding 4*16GB. (I can already see the angry consumers and the class actions)
    Also, it gives the choice to the player.

Another thing: is it OK to limit the cutters to (only?) 40? Is it a resource issue or simply an aspect of the gameplay?
    Since I upgraded to level 5, they are obviously shot very fast (which is cool). But depending on the shooting angle, it can deplete (especially if I point to the upper right/left corner of the screen).
    So I came to wonder if it was to prevent the game from being too easy (which for sure would be [to some point?]), laggy or if there was another reason.

12. triple_why

triple_why

Hmm these are again good points. About shooter upgrades, your second option sounds quite logical. I had thought shooters like cutters, but while cutters are bought, shooters are upgraded. So yes, I think I'll implement the second option, maybe with a price adjustment.

About cutter limit of 40, no it's not a resource issue, but a difficulty adjuster. But I think I will increase it to 50.

And thank you again, for the valuable feedback =)