Search Unity

Breakpoints in 0.50 Entities.ForEach not working

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by andywatts, Apr 10, 2022.

1. andywatts

andywatts

Anyone else having trouble with breakpoints in 0.50 Entities.ForEach lambdas?

Rider 2021.3.4 breakpoints work in Entities 0.17 ForEach lambdas, but not in 0.50.

EugenyN1 likes this.
  2. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

Can’t say I have this particular issue but rarely breakpoints did not trigger. Usually fixed by reconnecting.
    Try updating Rider plugin. Also, try the Rider EAP version, I‘m really happy with that: https://www.jetbrains.com/de-de/rider/nextversion/

3. tertle

tertle

Yeah haven't really had any issues either. Anytime I do though a regeneration of project files usually solves it

Edit -> Preferences -> External Tools -> Regenerate Project Files

4. andywatts

andywatts

Thanks.
    Confirmed Rider breakpoints inside the ForEach lambda body are not working with 0.50 for me with fresh projects.

Entities 0.17 works when I downgrade.
    Could be related to codegen?

EugenyN1 likes this.
  5. tertle

tertle

I think can break point fine in rider in 0.50 ForEach.

Are you using Rider 2021.3+? (I believe that's the minimum version that supports source generators)

-edit-

on second though, I can't be certain. I write very few Entities.ForEach and anything I debug would most likely be in a larger job which wouldn't be using it.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
  6. andywatts

andywatts

Yeah. JetBrains Rider 2021.3.4

7. andywatts

andywatts

Problem seems limited to Entities.ForEach.

IJobEntity breakpoints work fine...even with a ScheduleParallel. Here's an example.

8. joepl

joepl

Unity Technologies

I'm seeing something similar and will look into it. In Rider you should be actually able to step into the Entities.ForEach (with F11 in Rider) and set breakpoints in the generated code.

andywatts likes this.
  9. arielsan

arielsan

Is there any new information about this? I've just updated our project to use entities 0.51.1-preview (didn't want to but had no choice given dependencies and issues). Everything works fine but we can't debug most of the system ForEach lambdas. I tried regenerating project files but still nothing, will check later regenerating all the Library too.

10. Antypodish

Antypodish

There always were issues with debuging lambda jobs.
    0.51 seems working however. At least for me so far. So unless it is new bug?
    Did you disabled burst?

11. arielsan

arielsan

It worked pretty well to us before updating to 0.51.

I tried disabling burst and enabling it again, it doesn't work either, and tried adding breakpoints to autogenerated code and no luck, I feel like a noob with this. We have plans to move out from unity ecs and use another solution at some point and this might be one of the triggers to accelerate that process.

12. JohnnyTurbo

JohnnyTurbo

I've been able to get this to work by disabling burst on the Entities.ForEach I want to step through just by adding the .WithoutBurst() option. Not ideal, but it works for when I need it.

13. Elapotp

Elapotp

Recent Burst update (1.8.0-pre.2) has an interesting note in the "added" section:
    Haven't tested it yet, but looks promising