Search Unity

1. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We've updated our Terms of Service. Please read our blog post from Unity CTO and Co-Founder Joachim Ante here
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

breakForce and infinity not doing what doc states

Discussion in 'Documentation' started by SillyMe, Nov 12, 2016.

1. SillyMe

SillyMe

The documentation at: https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Joint-breakForce.html

states that "The break force can be set to Mathf.Infinity to render the joint unbreakable. ",

but if I do exactly as the documentation states: hinge.breakForce = Mathf.Infinity;

then I get the following error:
    "Joint2D.breakForce assign attempt for 'Capsule' is not valid. Input breakForce is { Infinity }.
    UnityEngine.Joint2D:set_breakForce(Single)"

Why?!

juanitogan likes this.
  2. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Unity Technologies

I'll get this passed onto the docs team. Not totally sure this is an obvious issue. (At least to me!)

juanitogan likes this.
  3. SillyMe

SillyMe

It's been over 5 weeks now. Any news what the status is?

I have no clue what I should do about the error message.

Peter

4. hsallander

hsallander

Any update on this? I'm having the same problem. How can we set the breakforce to Infinity if not via Mathf.Infinity? Even if I copy the current value (which is correctly set to Infinity in the Inspector) and then set it later back to that later in the code I get the same error, eg I cannot set it to a value it had previously.

karmington2 likes this.
  5. mliukka

mliukka

This is still not solved apparently. Getting the same error about assign attempt not being valid. Does anyone know a working way (in C#) to set joint break force and torque to infinity?

karmington2 likes this.
  6. maclark86

maclark86

same error. any update? setting the break force to really really high will probably be just fine for my purposes tho.

karmington2 likes this.
  7. juanitogan

juanitogan

Any updated on this??? Still not working in 2017.4.