Search Unity

Brand new here, wondering where to start for this..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WebHostPro, Mar 19, 2018.

1. WebHostPro

WebHostPro

Hi,

I have never built a game before but always wanted to. I was told by a friend Unity is the best option for starting out and more.

I'm just so green behind the ears I was wondering if I could get some basic basics on where to start to make a choose your own adventure type game. I realize I need to download the basic Unity but that's about it.

Basically a game where you have three options and depending on the option you choose it takes you to a new place and scenario which has three more options to choose from.

I also would like to add little tasks or mini games in some of the places between choosing the new destination.

Really similar to a commodore 64 text based adventure game or a choose your own adventure book. I realize how dated I just made myself :\

Ideally I would like to make the game web compatible as well as Windows and maybe mobile later.

Thanks,
    Charley

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

WebHostPro likes this.
  3. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Do you envision your choose-your-own-adventure game being full 3D, like a typical adventure game? Or just a bunch of 2D images? Because the things you describe--picking choices, and playing minigames--don't sound like they use 3D environments at all.

You still want to start with the things theANMATOR2b mentions, but it's possible that what you want to do would be extremely simple, a lot simpler than some of the stuff covered in the tutorials.

WebHostPro likes this.
  4. WebHostPro

WebHostPro

Oh 2d for sure. In fact minimal imagery. More like a book with moving images.

Thanks and I will read up on those links for sure. Thanks for the tips. Everything seems complicated at first :)

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  5. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

What on the screen would the user be clicking on? Just choices, or various elements like an adventure game?

Edit: apart from the minigames. Those are best addressed by what theANMATOR2b said.

6. ethanicus

ethanicus

Definitely learn C# too. It took me far too long to realize that the tutorials expect you to know it.