Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Video Branching choose your own adventure story with video

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by jwhitmoo, Aug 7, 2019.

1. jwhitmoo

jwhitmoo

Hi,

I am pretty new to Unity but would like to create a choose your own adventure story (yes like Bandersnatch), with a small number of different story paths but all ultimately ending at the same point. It would be planned out in Twine and then executed in Unity (unless there is a simpler option).

There would only need to be a two-choice question, which would then branch out into maybe 4 or 5 separate paths. Some of these choices only need to appear to influence the video (in order to keep things simple). Also, all the clips in the various branches would be uniform in length.

When the user is prompted to answer the question, they would be given 10 seconds to answer (whilst the video is in a kind of idle state). When answered before the 10 seconds are up, the video would then need to play to the end of its idling state, and then execute the next pathway.

I have found some useful youtube tutorials (like this one) but need something a bit more comprehensive of how a branching Twine style story would work.

Any help on this would be great!

2. hunter8052

hunter8052

I have never used twine but it does sound useful for planning. Is the game your trying to make like a telltale game if so, cool! But the way i would do it is recording every possibility and every branch creates an alternate timeline in the end you should have a massive amount of video files. Depending on if you are simply having the user make choices or actually giving them small experiences as well like in telltales the walking dead when they have an action scene then you will have more or less code. If it's just an option in scenes for different choices then you may only need a couple UI components and some scripts but if it's interactive like the walking dead then you also need to have your characters controllable in some way and it would require a lot more code.