Search Unity

Bug Box collider falls through convex mesh collider

Discussion in 'Physics' started by davej256, Mar 30, 2023.

1. davej256

davej256

Been googling around, couldn't find anything. Here we go.

I recently imported a 3D map. GM Construct from Garry's Mod. There's a mini grassy hilly area that I put mesh colliders on, and made them all convex.

For my project, I'm manually ticking the physics engine and using my own code to interpolate between fixed timesteps. Yes, I know rigidbodies have an interpolation option. I need custom code for something different.

This only happens sometimes, but when I drop my custom-interpolated cube on to a specific part of the collider, more-so the left part, it penetrates halfway into the ground, shoots out, then lands on the convex mesh collider and starts shaking. This doesn't happen if I disable convex, or use a box collider.

Changing the physics collision detection mode does nothing.

Right before the physics tick, I manually reset the position/rotation/velocity/angVelocity from the last tick, so that it's in the right spot after lerping on the render frames in-between. This seems to be causing it. If I disable my custom interpolation, it doesn't glitch out. Yet it works fine on every other type of collider.

This is how it looks with the convex collider. I can't use box-collider long term since there's little inclines on the grass.

The meshes themselves are pretty weird. All of the meshes are rotated 90 degrees X on import, and then the prefab itself transforms the X rotation of each mesh -90 degrees to counter it. Perhaps this is screwing with it?

On the docs, it states that :
    For a Mesh Collider to work properly, the Mesh must be read/write enabled in any of these circumstances:

• The Mesh Collider’s Transform has negative scaling (for example, (–1, 1, 1)) and the Mesh is convex.
    • The Mesh Collider’s transform is skewed or sheared (for example, when a rotated transform has a scaled parent transform).
    I have enabled "read/write" on the import setting. Still glitches out.

Here's the source if anyone wants to test:
    https://www.models-resource.com/pc_computer/garrysmod/model/52997/

Edit: I think I found the issue. The grass are made up of planes so they're paper thin. I don't think the convex colliders like this, but the docs mention that
    "A convex mesh is required by the physics engine to have a non-zero volume. Flat meshes such as quads or planes that are marked as convex will be modified by the physics engine to have a thickness (and therefore a volume) to satisfy this requirement."

So then, why isn't it modifying it to work?

Edit 2: If I flip the grass plane so the invisible backface is showing, the box seems to collide fine and doesn't penetrate or shake on top.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023