Search Unity

Bowling Ball Physics; Ball slows considerably after being thrown

Discussion in 'Physics' started by realdka13, Dec 15, 2018.

1. realdka13

realdka13

Im working on a bowling VR game, got the basic grabbing down, now im working on throwing the ball itself. But it seems that when rolled, the ball will go a short ways then slow down a bunch. Ive tried applying a physics mat to the lane and it doesnt have any effect. What other ways could i fix this?

A video of what its doing (bandicam sucks, the first throw is difficult to see but the second throw you can see what happens)

2. dgoyette

dgoyette

Just an idea, but try setting the rigidbody's maxAngularVelocity to something fairly high. That controls how quickly it's allowed to spin. (You'll need to set that in code, as it's not exposed in the inspector). You probably also tried to lower the angular drag?

SparrowGS likes this.
  3. SparrowGS

SparrowGS

Exactly what I was gonna say, the maxAngularVelocity is set to something like 7 by default, bump that number high. lower angular drag, and did you try adding spin to the ball when you throw it via scripting or are you relying on the spin from the ground contact?

4. realdka13

realdka13

i lowered angular drag yes. I didnt even know about the max angualar velocity, ill look into that.
    No I didnt try adding spin, didnt even think of that. Ive got it mostly working now, still a little weird but sounds like i can fix it, thanks!

5. SparrowGS

SparrowGS

I recommend you to watch this video:

He talks about stuff that i think are relevant to a bowling ball game, the angular velocity stuff is at like 1:15:00 + a little

realdka13 likes this.