Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bought my very first Mac just for unity :o)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by marcotronic, Nov 20, 2008.

1. marcotronic

marcotronic

Hi folks,
    I just want to say hello to this community.

I´ve been looking at the unity3D platform for ages very enviously as it´s Mac only (I know there will be a windows port...) and today I´ve had enough: I´ve just ordered my very first Mac :D Just to be able to use unity. (I hope a 20" iMac with 4GB will be enough to work with unity)

Basically I want to get into the development of casual games for the iPhone.

I´m really looking forward to being part of this nice community here :)

Marco

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

welcome to the unity/mac world, I did the same some months ago and the experience is amazing,

good look with your games!

Raul

3. polytropoi

polytropoi

Welcome and congratulations! I also bought a mac just to run Unity, one of the best decisions I ever made. Looking forward to seeing your stuff!

4. tbelgrave

tbelgrave

Another converter here, I haven't been able to use Unity for awhile now because of a busy workload and such, but buying a mac was my greatest investment next to my PS3 :p unfortunately tho my generation of Imac suffer from the dreaded vertical yellow line, they're now showing up :( the best part is tho I get to order the new line very soon!

Have fun

~t

5. jashan

jashan

Hehe, another convert - yay!

Welcome to the show, and have fun (you will)!!!

One evening Unite 2008, I think we were six people sitting at some bar and asked ourselves "who got a Mac to use Unity", and if I recall correctly, all of us were converts (or maybe 5 out 6, not sure) ... and, obviously, none of us regretted it ;-)

6. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

I just remembered; even David H got a Mac solely for Unity.

jashan likes this.
  7. taumel

taumel

And i got the right Mac due to asking David quite some questions about a reasonable speed/ram configuration. :O)

8. marcotronic

marcotronic

Thanks a lot guys! That all sounds really good! :D
    I´m waiting like a little child for christmas now :D

Marco

9. Tibbar

Tibbar

Same here, Unity won me over to the Mac platform. Not a complete convert yet as I still have too much invested in the PC but slowly moving over...

Welcome.

10. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Welcome to the community! :D

11. marcotronic

marcotronic

Yes, the same is indeed true for me - I´ve invested so much in my PC software (Maya, Photoshop, headus UV Layout, ZBrush, Cubase, several expensive music libraries (orchestra etc...) etc...). And the Mac will be for unity only (at least in the first step - but maybe I will be infected by the "Mac fever" - who knows :wink: )

Thanks again everybody for your welcome postings.

Marco

12. GWPGearWorx

GWPGearWorx

Welcome to our little community here, you are in for a treat. Not to mention you will become a mac addict soon after ;)

Regards.

13. jashan

jashan

At least Cubase has a "one-size fits it all license", so when you have Cubase for the PC, you can immediately use that same Cubase on the Mac. Same applies to all Native Instruments software I know (I've had KOMPLETE for the PC and when I got my Mac, I simply installed it on the Mac and never had a need to open it on the PC ever after).

Unfortunately, some software vendors kind of lock you in on one system, which find kind of ridiculous.

For some software, you might be happy using virtualization (VMWare or Parallels). Unfortunately, with music software (Wavelab, for example - got a license but don't use it anymore because it doesn't run on my Mac), and graphics software, you often run into the limits of virtual machines - but it's always worth a try (VMWare is getting better and better, and I would assume Parallels is as well).

14. marcotronic

marcotronic

Thanks for the hints, Jashan!

Marco

15. R.A.E.

R.A.E.

So Xmas comes earlier this year :wink: .Welcome to the community. I bet you will not regret the switch to Mac.

16. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

marcotronic, my old Core 2 Duo 20" iMac with only 2GB of RAM runs UNity superbly. You'll have no worries. Welcome aboard!

17. galent

galent

Congratulations, and welcome to the community! I did the exact same thing this time last year, heck I even bought the iMac 20" :) Ok, so I lost my head a little and swapped all my home computers to Macs! My wife is still making the adjustment at times, I blame Unity... Love the tool, improved my life in many ways, but sorry guys, someone had to take the fall for the credit card bills. Nice thing was, after the Macs, the Unity license was just a rounding error :D

But I digress.

Welcome!

18. psychicparrot

psychicparrot

Welcome, marcotronic! Haha ^^^^ that post sums up my experiences too - 100%!

Enjoy your stay :)