Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions by the end of July. Read our announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Bought Assets only online useable ?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Paladin1, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Paladin1

Paladin1

Hello,
    I am not a programmer and I will not use unity to make games or whatever. I only want to render some scenes to use the pictures.
    So I bought an asset to test it in the personal version of unity. But in the "download section" there is only "Open in unity".
    Are bought assets not available for download ?
    Can bought assets only be used with a computer linked to the internet?

Thanks for help.

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

when clicking open in unity the asset downloads into a unity sub-directory under my documents on windows. I believe once you download 'open in unity' the asset can be used regardless if the computer is connected to the internet or not.
    Unity 5 directory structure may have changed a little but the concept is still the same.

3. Paladin1

Paladin1

Thanks for your info.
    So I have to install and license a second personal version of unity to open the asset in unity. If I than can save the asset (or a working-version of it) and transport it to the other computer to do the real work there might be problems with the licence (?).
    Ok, I will try and see how far it can come. And if it doesn't work I will remember the philosopher's words: "You can't always get what you want." ;)

4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

The best/easiest way is to do it the way Unity has set it up for us.
    Why not connect the computer to the internet for installing the asset?
    I don't believe the internet connection has to be 'always on' like Microsoft tried to do. However using your Unity user account and 'opening in Unity' is the proper way to install purchased assets on multiple machines. You don't have to 'transport' anything.

I recently got a new machine and installed Unity, logged into my account and was able to download previously purchased assets without any hassle.

5. Paladin1

Paladin1

I installed unity on my internet machine and could open the asset in unity.
    Unfortunately I failed trying to render a scene. I think unity is actually too complex for me and I have to find other ways to get my pictures.What a pity because there is a lot of good stuff in the store :) Maybe in the future I fill find time to persuade me of learning how to use unity; it's a great tool!