Search Unity

Bug Both 2022.2.3f1 and 2022.2.4f1 crash if sceneview or game view are visible upon launch

Discussion in 'Linux' started by MostHated, Jan 28, 2023.

1. MostHated

MostHated

For some reason both 3f1 and 4f1 crash straight away if I open a project that has either the scene view or the game view visible when it launches. This started the other day with 3f.1. I spent several hours trying to diagnose if it was something with my project, but eventually just started a new URP project and it crashed with the same issue.

If I open a project that doesn't have one of those views visible, the editor runs just fine until the scene or game view tabs are opened or clicked on. Opening the same project back up in 2f1, everything is fine again.

Below is the error message that I keep getting:
    https://gist.github.com/MostHated/58aca1e495725cb67b893d091b53cc97

Here are my system details:
    https://gist.github.com/MostHated/565742c1eee6a6e62ec4de0d43b379f2

2. tylerinthezoo

tylerinthezoo

Unity Technologies

would you elaborate on what you meant by both scene and game view open? the default layout is they are all open in the tab, and how do you click on both tabs?

3. MostHated

MostHated

My usual layout does not have them visible by default due to getting tons of error messages at times about something not having a handle in the domain. So I loaded a project using a layout of mine that doesn't have them visible, and it loaded in both 3f1 and 4f1 until I clicked one of the views. I didn't mean both at once, just that both (either) of those views being or becoming visible would cause it to crash.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
  4. tylerinthezoo

tylerinthezoo

Unity Technologies

hmm i just opened a fresh 2d project with 22.2.4f1 without any noticeable issue. would you mind to attach your log file?

5. MostHated

MostHated

I didn't test 2d, but I just did another test in 4f1 and it doesn't do it when using OpenGL, but once I switch to Vulcan (which I currently use for all projects), load a project (tested just now with a brand new URP demo project) here is what I get: https://gist.github.com/MostHated/6a9003762386ded67ac7b7a6bae6197d

I have also submitted a bug report via the crash popup, which is titled the same as this threads title. IN-30532

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
    tylerinthezoo likes this.
  6. MostHated

MostHated

Nevermind about the bug report. As usual, it just gets closed saying I am unsupported. Don't know why I bother submitting them.

7. tylerinthezoo

tylerinthezoo

Unity Technologies

same as before, i've opened the lego tutorial which is a URP project without any problem. Looking through your log, you are indeed not on a supported linux distro.

8. tylerinthezoo

tylerinthezoo

Unity Technologies

nothing errors out for me on Ubuntu22.04

Attached Files:

9. MostHated

MostHated

Lego "works" with OpenGL, but has this artifact that takes half the screen and flashes. (as did the URP demo construction scene)

Then here is the same scene, but with Vulcan, trying to hit the Scene View.

One thing I just noticed, is that game view actually works fine, scene view is where it crashes, at least in 4f1. I will need to see if I see the same behavior in 3f1.

10. MostHated

MostHated

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
  11. ChiwTheNeko

ChiwTheNeko

@MostHated which distro are you on and which graphic card do you have, could you please tell me?
    I have seen this kind of diagonal artifact on MPV and other video players when I tried switching to Fedora 38. Apparently it is a known issue with AMD drivers.

12. MostHated

MostHated

I am on Pop_os 22.04 (Ubuntu distro) and an AMD 6900XT. Though, I don't have, nor have I had that artifact anywhere else or in any other application. Only scene view of 2022.3f1 and 2022.4f1.

13. tylerinthezoo

tylerinthezoo

Unity Technologies

the flashing issue is known. The vulkan part is not. I tried it again on the tutorial scene with vulkan, nothing crashed for me.

14. MostHated

MostHated

Just updating for visibility in case anyone else has more info eventually, this also happens in 2022.2.5f1. I guess I am just stuck with 2f1, which is a shame. A bug I submitted last year was finally fixed... in 3f1.

Even more strange, it runs/play mode works just fine as well. Just so long as I keep the scene view hidden. Something about the scene view is just wonky.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
  15. ChiwTheNeko

ChiwTheNeko

I just tried to reproduce it with 2022.2.5 on Fedora 37, KDE, X and an AMD graphic card.
    If I use OpenGL I see the diagonal artifact. I didn't notice any issue when using Vulkan.

phrobion likes this.
  16. MostHated

MostHated

Interesting. As mentioned, everything before 3f1 works perfectly. 3f1 and newer, both existing and new projects fail due to scene view in both URP and HDRP. One of the error logs along the way, near the end I believe mentioned serialization. I am going to have to go back through the 3f1 patch notes to see if anything jumps out as a possible cause. Not sure if any of it is anything I can actually do anything about, though.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
  17. r9shackleford

r9shackleford

Same issue, we purchased an AMD card(6700XT I believe) for testing the game and we can't even get the editor to start on it. Definitely narrowed it down to Vulkan, log is essentially the same as what was already posted by MostHated.
    We were using 2022.2.6f1, tried migrating to 2022.2.9f1, still persists.

Also have the same graphical issue with OpenGL as previously mentioned.

Creating a blank URP 3D project with 2022.2.9f1 crashes, 2022.2.1f1 runs fine however.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
    MostHated likes this.
  18. ScallyGames

ScallyGames

I am also experiencing the issue of the diagonal rendering issue switching from 2022.2.0b10 to 2022.2.8f1.
    This is especially an issue since I want to work with Entities 1.0 which requires 2022.2.8.

I do however not have an AMD but an NVIDIA card on a notebook (either NVIDIA cards are affected too or the scene view is using the onboard graphics card).

This is really annoying since it makes the new versions basically unusable while the older versions worked without any issues so there must have been some change causing this.

19. r9shackleford

r9shackleford

I suspect the OpenGL issue is vendor agnostic, if you're using Nvidia just switch to using Vulkan to work around it.

20. r9shackleford

r9shackleford

re: the AMD Vulkan issue, it appears to be fixed in Mesa, presumably in 23.0. Using a dev-build so unsure if it's actually in 23.0.

MostHated likes this.
  21. MostHated

MostHated

odam, I need to grab that. I would be nice to get back to my project. I was held back by a bug that was fixed in 3f1... but I could not use 3f1. Has been such a bummer.

22. MostHated

MostHated

How did you go about it, using oibaf ppa, or a manual installation?

23. r9shackleford

r9shackleford

Third-party repo for my distro. I tried 23.0 also, and it's not fixed in that release, so it must have been a rather recent fix unfortunately.

24. MostHated

MostHated

I keep trying with every new editor version, but still nothing since 2022.2f2. Hopefully one day it might work again. Until then, I guess it's good that Unreal Engine 5 runs great.

25. r9shackleford

r9shackleford

We just got our AMD testing card back after having to RMA it(perhaps not the best idea to choose the cheapest manufacturer possible ;)). Indeed, still broken using Mesa 23 + Unity 2022.2.16f1. Still the only solution I've found is to use a dev(latest git) build of Mesa.

I'm guessing this issue is actually Mesa's issue, but it was caused during a minor Unity version increment despite working prior…

MostHated and tylerinthezoo like this.
  26. MostHated

MostHated

I finally caved... Spent several hours backing up everything, double-checking the backups, backing up the backups, and I bit the bullet and wiped my PC and installed the required, supported, and official Ubuntu OS.

How did it go?
    The exact. same. issue.

27. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

I did some tests on Ubuntu 2022.04, a not yet supported distro that I'm test-driving, creating a URP Sample Project.

2021.3.19f1 - Both OpenGL and Vulcan work, no flickering triangle
    2022.2.19f1 - Open GL works, no flickering triangle although Vulcan crashes on startup

Running Ubuntu 2022.04 with defaults so "Wayland"

I use tuxinvader to update my kernel, currently it's 6.2.13-060213-generic
    GPU is 6900xt

28. ChiwTheNeko

ChiwTheNeko

Did some quick tests with 2022.2.19. I loaded the URP sample. I didn't notice any glitch with both OpenGL and Vulkan. Unity sometimes crashes at startup (like once in ten times) but I have that problem with 2021 too.

I'm on Fedora 37 with KDE and X.

If you can reproduce the issue on an officially supported distro then you should annoy the hell out of Unity devs with bug reports.

29. MostHated

MostHated

I was annoying them prior, but my ticket kept getting closed. Now that I am on a supported distro, hopefully it won't get closed, but I also can't get to the bug report window, the editor closes before I get the chance to do anything, since the scene view is now always visible upon first opening. The only thing I *can* do is reproduce the issue.

I am on an AM5 motherboard / 6900xt / 7950x which has an igpu, not sure if that has anything to do with it, but I made sure my bios was up to date, etc.

I tested with a brand new os install + all available updates, new unityhub, new install of 2022.2.19f1, and new hdrp demo scene.

I was days to weeks away from finishing an asset I was going to put on the store, and I want to get it done and on there, but it is heavily based on DOTS, so I can't just release it using the only version that still works for me, all those packages have been updated and many editor versions have came out since the several months ago this issue started.

I went and ordered an RTX4080, which will be here Sunday. If that works, I guess I am an Nvidia shop again, as much as I have been trying to avoid them, but for as OSS friendly AMD is supposed to be, I had little to no issue when I was using Nvidia in the past.

Last edited: May 12, 2023
  30. ChiwTheNeko

ChiwTheNeko

I am using an AND card and I have no problem.

When Unity crashes it leaves a blob file in your project directory. If you can't get to the bug report window then maybe you can send that to Unity instead.

31. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

I got a simliar setup, AM5 (Asus x670e Proart Creator), 7950x, 6900xt, 64gb Ram

Last edited: May 13, 2023
  32. MostHated

MostHated

I installed Mesa 23.x via oaibf PPA, and 'Ubuntu Mainline Kernel Installer' to test out Kernels, finally started working when I tried 6.2.15. I am still going to keep the 4080 and use that probably. I had fewer issues overall, not just Unity related, when I was using a 2070. Strange how everything else worked perfectly minus Unity. UE5, Godot, a few Rust renderers I playted around with, Davinci Resolve, blender, etc, etc, are all perfect, only Unity had issues.

@sfjohansson You had no issues with the setup, you are saying? Are you on Ubuntu with out-of-the-box updates? Minus my board being Asrock, everything else is the same.

33. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

This specific installation is an upgrade from 2020.04 LTS, I do use Tuxinvader to get newer kernels, but that was more for 2020, in any case, the current kernel is: 6.2.13-060213-generic

I did also get the latest Mesa via the PPA after that test to see if it resolved the Vulcan crash, which it didn't.

Usually, I run this setup with Ubuntu 2020.04 LTS, the newest supported version, where it is working very well with the kernel upgrade. Not having the kernel upgrade defaulted to a low-resolution desktop and perhaps other "new" hardware-related issues. Another solution to unlock higher resolutions was to use the AMD pro drivers rather than mesa...

I did try upgrading on a cloned partition just to test 2022.04 LTS, I knew there were going to be issues as it's not supported. So far it is working kind of OK at least, I have some Unity crashes...other software like my git client, Smartgit, stops responding to mouse clicks sometimes... I guess a lot can also be Wayland related.

I have not tested x11 on 2022 yet...

Last edited: May 15, 2023
  34. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

All in all, if you want a reliable setup... roll with 2020.04 LTS with a kernel upgrade to get support for your new hardware

35. r9shackleford

r9shackleford

Appears to be fixed in Mesa 23.1. No idea when that will be rolling out for most distros though.

36. MostHated

MostHated

Mesa alone didn't fix it (23.2~git2305xx). I tried that before getting a kernel newer than Ubuntu came with. It was not until I switched to a 6.2.1x kernel that it actually worked again. Not sure if perhaps something was missing from the older kernel that utilizes something within Mesa, so it needed both?

Either way, it sounds like if you stick strictly to what the 100% fully supported requirements are, it will not work, based on this:

37. r9shackleford

r9shackleford

Apologies, wasn't aware of that.
    I *ahem* don't use the officially supported distro :cool:

All of my posts in this thread were whatever was the most recent stable kernel release at the time they were posted, which means I was always using >= 6.2, if that helps.