Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Botbuilder beta 3

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by StarManta, Dec 13, 2006.

1. StarManta

StarManta

http://starmanta.googlepages.com/Botbuilderb3.html

Get it while it's hot!

Notable changes:
    - More options
    - A greatly improved tutorial/first level
    - A "Force Spray" obstacles to play with
    - A second level (and new play mode) - Time Attack
    - A guide arrow point you in the right direction if you get turned around

Plus lots of little bug fixes.

There seems be to a "full-screen web player only" bug that sometimes causes you to be unable to set a rocket's trigger. If that happens, exiting fullscreen solves the issue.

As always, report bugs, issues and slowdown, and include your machine specs. And tell me the best times you can get on the time attack! Mine so far is 2:02.

2. drJones

drJones

it that link supposed to download a zip? i downloaded it tried to unzip but couldn't find the file (my download folder is a mess). what is the file name?

3. StarManta

StarManta

Oops. I accidentally linked the .unityWeb instead of the html...fixed.

4. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

I am getting a lot of instant browser crashes so I can't get very far. Plus I get horrible fps if I don't turn physics down and if I do then the robot doesn't float anymore so I can't knock down the wall.

It looks like you are using fixed joints on the rockets. I bet that is really slow. I would just use rigidbody.AddForceAtPosition() on the main body.

Nice mug shot :p

5. Lallander

Lallander

This version is crashing my browser as well. Latest Safari updates as well.

6. StarManta

StarManta

Mine is not crashing at all - More info guys? PPC/Intel, Processor speed, Graphics cards? etc. Maybe you could attach the CrashReporter file for when it crashes? That might provide some clues.

Yoggy - while that could have been done, and it probably would have been faster, it's nearly impossible at this point to change it without a complete rewrite of a significant chunk of code.... with the 3DU deadline looming, I don't see that as being feasable. Besides that, fun things like rockets breaking off realistically would be very difficult, and would require so much code that it would probably be at least as slow as it is now.

(As an aside, I'm actually using hingeJoints instead of fixed joints -- fixed joints don't work for crap, especially when you have more than one attached to a single core body)

The mug shot is a placeholder until I can get ahold of someone to whip together some real character art :p

7. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Looks good on my end without any crashes (OS10.4.8 MacBook Pro, Safari 2.0.4), nice work. It's still a little on the unstable side for me in terms of how wobbly the 'bot is. Perhaps that's just my skill level though... :p

8. Daniel_Brauer

Daniel_Brauer

Unity Technologies

Runs like crap on my MacBook.

I'm not sure why I even try any more. :roll:

9. StarManta

StarManta

Given good performance on my iMac and Higgy's MBP, i'd say the main determining factor performance-wise is graphics - which is odd because my scenes aren't that complex, graphically. Does disabling glow help at all? How does its performance compare with other Unity games?

10. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

wow, i dont know what you changed but suddently i have major lag, especially when breaking down the brick wall

im on a
    dualcore intel with 2X3ghz
    geforce 7800gt (256mb ram)
    2 gb ram

i broke a part of and pressed the tilde key, the small image in the corner zoomed down but just got stuck there (just tried it again and it suddently worked and again and it didnt work....)

btw nice pic of the maniacly smiling girl, gave me a real shock when i first booted the game ^^

11. StarManta

StarManta

It does slow down a bit on the brick wall, but I can't imagine why a computer with those specs would be getting lag while mine (dualcore intel 2.0GHz) runs it without dropping below 20fps, at worst... which suggests there's something going on that I don't understand, and probably won't be able to debug since this is the only machine I have available to test. If I sent you the project file, would you mind poking around in the game while it's running to see if there's anything going on that shouldn't be? (i.e. extras cameras rendering behidn the current one, extra objects, etc.)

12. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

i neither have unity or a mac, so cant really :)

13. WarpedAxiom

WarpedAxiom

The webplayer has a brutal lag for me, if it doesn't crash. Because of these tings, I've failed to figure out what the game is all about.
    Pretty girl, though.

14. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

My G4 1.25 GHZ laptop (ATI 9600) just chokes on this thing. Once you turn down the physics it helps a little, but I haven't really been able to experience this yet... and it looks really cool so keep tweaking :wink: