Search Unity

1. Get the latest news, tutorials and offers directly to your inbox with our newsletters. Sign up now.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Multiplayer Boss Room Multiplayer Sample - Early Access - Is Live!

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by cosminunity, Apr 7, 2021.

1. cosminunity

cosminunity

Unity Technologies

Hello Everyone!

The small co-op sample named Boss Room that we featured at the GDC event is now available in early access to everyone! It is finally the time where you can deep dive into the source code or start extending the project, build it, and share it with your friends so that you can play together!

For more info, please take a look at how-to-get-started by reading this article.

Let us know your thoughts here on forums! At the same time feel free to join our official MLAPI's discord in case you didn't already!

A bigger Unity blog post is going to follow up shortly! Stay Tuned!

EDIT: You can access the newer and more comprehensive blog post here.

Enjoy!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  2. Cranom

Cranom

Congratz on releasing something !

Now for the critical part... communication/documentation while bare bone, already is a mess, you're linking to an article:
    - linking to another article speaking of itself;
    - then 2 links to docs-multiplayer;
    - and again 2 other identical links to the github repo.
    The docs-multiplayer and github repo each having doc for setting up the project, each one seemingly equal and different at the same time, it gets especialy bad for the setup of photon transport. Someone needs to make up his mind and consolidate everything and remove the needless spaghetti linking.
    Speaking of Photon, i have nothing against it, seems like a good product, but just why ? what about MLAPI relay service ? what about Unity matchmaking service ? Shouldn't the logical move be to make an in-house implemantation ?

Otherwise in the changelog I see that the project has stability issues for continuous and interrupted games, once resolved, can we hope for some sort of host-migration or reconnection to an on-going game ?

Ruchir and erkneren like this.
  3. Ruchir

Ruchir

Considering this is just an experimental release and the first one at that, I guess this is expected but I would really like to see some documentation of in-house stuff like multiplay and Vivox which Unity literally owns and is used by AAA games but I have no idea how to integrate it in my Unity project.

Even we have Epic online services which is, in my opinion, the best option for us as an indie dev seeing that it's free and cross-platform but I remember a dev mentioning that these implementations will be done by the community and not by Unity themselves (I'm not a 100% sure), if that's the case then it would be just another product that I won't use in my main projects

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  4. vis2k

vis2k

Hey, sorry to hijack your thread.
    Is there any chance you could pin the Mirror networking thread too?
    There are Mirror questions here all the time, and our thread gets buried often.
    It contains all the relevant info like documentation, discord, tutorials, etc.

It's free & open source, and mostly used by your own UNET customers.

If boss room is worth pinning, seems like Mirror thread would be worth a pin too :)

cosminunity, Cranom and Ruchir like this.
  5. OmegaNemesis28

OmegaNemesis28

What happened to the Unity network layer? Why is this using Photon and not that?

GameSire and Ruchir like this.
  6. cosminunity

cosminunity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Cranom thank you for your honest insights, we appreciate it. I have updated the main post with a link to the bigger more comprehensive blog post that I mention was going to follow.

In regards to the Photon Setup Guide, I can see where the misdirection was created, sorry about that. It's important to note that although the one that exists in the community repo and the one that lives in the Boss Room, are very similar - especially for the first part - the latter one is more specific to Boss Room since the project has some custom handling code for Photon Room's and Regions to automate that rather than hardcoding it.

I will communicate that to our docs team so that we can make it more obvious which one you would need to follow for setting up Boss Room correctly. At the same time, I highly encourage you to report an issue like that through the docs website directly, by hitting "Log an issue" or you can even edit the page yourself by creating a pull request by clicking on the "Edit this page" button. All these issues can be directly tracked on the docs's GitHub repo.

upload_2021-4-9_9-52-38.png

Firstly, it is important to mention why these features don't exist in Boss Room today, the reason being: that MLAPI does not yet well support such scenarios out of the box, since the solution is not mature enough. I can say that the SDK team is at the moment revamping major systems that will directly impact these such as Scene Management and more, which are setting the ground for future work, and the Host Migration is not yet on the SDK roadmap. With that being said, we do expect that Boss Room will evolve alongside MLAPI and will probably showcase similar features when they are supported at the core level.

Greetings,
    Cosmin

CreativeChris likes this.
  7. lockbox

lockbox

Could someone please comment on @Cranom 's question about using the MLAPI relay for the Boss Room vice Photon. Is that an option? I have mini WAN test environment with my own servers, so using the MLAPI relay is a better option for me. Thanks.

8. luke-unity

luke-unity

Unity Technologies

Boss Room is by no means limited to the Photon transport, you can hook it up to any relay transport including the Midlevel MLAPI Relay. Please keep in mind that the MLAPI Relay is not owned or maintained by us so we can't guarantee that it will work.
    Our Architecture file contains some information on how to get started using a different transport with Boss Room.

9. luke-unity

luke-unity

Unity Technologies

Boss Room is using the Unity networking layer (UNet LLAPI) for direct connections via IP Address. These direct connections are usually not possible without a relay service. Our networking service is near its end of life and we don't have a new service to replace it yet.
    While we don't have a relay yet we still wanted to show you a way to use MLAPI in a listen server model where one player hosts the game. That's why we ended up using Photon Realtime to show you one way of using MLAPIs flexible transport implementation which allows you to run it with any relay service.

10. OmegaNemesis28

OmegaNemesis28

No, I was not referring to UNet LLAPI. Apologies if that was confusing. I'm talking about the com.unity.transport package.
    This was supposed to be the new replacement, so I was informed.

bluescrn likes this.
  11. luke-unity

luke-unity

Unity Technologies

Oh I see, the Unity transport package is still in development and an experimental package like MLAPI. The goal is to use the Unity transport as the transport layer for MLAPI but we weren't able to do so yet for the 0.1.0 release.

Ruchir and OmegaNemesis28 like this.
  12. OmegaNemesis28

OmegaNemesis28

Thank you, good to know the transport package has not been abandoned. I really enjoy it's simplicity! Great to hear that there are plans to include it in MLAPI in the future.

Ruchir likes this.
  13. DrewDunne

DrewDunne

Just chiming here in here to share that I've been digging through the BossRoom project wherever possible since ya'll launched early access. As a person who only began with Unity just over a year ago, it's been absolutely invaluable for our fledgling team to see how you've opted to set up such a variety of different systems within the up-and-coming GameObject netcode solution. We're just starting our first multiplayer project so it's pretty much perfect timing.

I'll be on the lookout for any bugs to help expedite your development in whatever way I can. Starting to get my head around this codebase ;)

Thanks so much for putting this together!

luke-unity likes this.
unityunity