Search Unity

[Released] FSR 3 - Boost your FPS with AMD FidelityFX™ Super Resolution 3.0 (FSR 3) Upscaling

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Alterego-Games, Nov 4, 2022.

?

What would you be willen to pay for AMD FSR 2.0 support

1. 2 - 5 dollar/euro

2. 5 - 10 dollar/euro

3. 10 - 15 dollar/euro

4. 15 + dollar/euro

5. 0 dollar/euro

6. I'm not interested in FSR

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Riga27527

Riga27527

Is there a specific plugin or installation process? Thanks a lot!

Alterego-Games and CuteLoong like this.
  2. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

The process is very easy. To use the asset, just add a component to the camera. For BIRP there is one extra optional step if you use Post Processing effects. And one extra required step for HDRP. All fully detailed in our documentation including demo’s!

Almost through the queue, getting ready for the release on the asset store!

Egi010, Mars91, Astfgl and 1 other person like this.
  3. vinnygombici

vinnygombici

Hello, any update about a release date on the Unity Store?

Alterego-Games likes this.
  4. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

Should be any day now!

5. r8zbeh

r8zbeh

Where can i get the FSR2 package for BIRP ? i just found the URP one on the git

6. wcavell

wcavell

FSR2Unity

r8zbeh likes this.
  7. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

We'll be releasing very soon! The asset is ready, and currently in review @ Unity

r8zbeh likes this.
  8. lacas8282

lacas8282

WTF, unity reviewing forever?!

9. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

Yeah, we've been in review since friday a week ago now...

10. Sp4rk

Sp4rk

Hey, I'm super excited about this. Congrats @Alterego-Games !

I'll buy it no matter what, but since it is taking a while to be approved by the asset store, do you mind if I ask you some questions to see if it will help my particular case?

Basically: what are the recommended resolutions, specially for Nintendo Switch?
    I've tried @Astfgl solution. Awesome implementation. In PC it worked very well, even with very low resolution. But in the Switch while in handheld mode my game runs at 960x540. Comparing FSR to Unity's built-in Dynamic Resolution, FSR actually gave me worse results. Performance only got similar in "Ultra Performance" mode, but the game looked way worse.

So does, and how, your package accounts for lower resolutions? Does it comes with some built-in AA solution for these cases or something similar?

Again, I'll buy it even if it doesn't, I can see how this will be useful to several other projects. I just want to manager my expectations!

Thanks!

11. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

So what you cannot forget is that FSR isn’t actually a tool that gives you extra performance. The performance gain comes from lowering the rendering resolution. FSR in turn makes the low resolution render look good.

Our asset (and @Astfgl ‘s one), help downscaling the native resolution, run FSR and return the upscaled image back to Unity’s rendering

So the recommended setup is to have the game run at native resolution. And use the quality settings in our tool.

The settings are:
    Quality (resolution / 1.5)
    Balanced (resolution / 1.7)
    Performance (resolution / 2)
    Ultra Performance (resolution / 3)

FSR itself does take gpu time to do its magic. The older/slower the gpu the more gpu it’ll take. Its very possible that for the Switch it takes too long to give useful results. In my test case project, I did see a doubling fps on Ultra Performance (~15 without to ~30 with) and it looked seriously great on the Switch.

That said, FSR should produce good looking results, even acceptable on Ultra Performance, unless you have a very high high paced game. It is possible that it looks worse because of some other reason like that you have moving vegetation that does not calculate motion vectors.

Another reason could be that you need to disable your other AA. FSR has a built-in AA that is better than almost everything Unity has to offer, and works best when you leave it to do its thing(its actually a requirement to disable all other AA).

Hope this helps, and I am very happy to have your support!

Rewaken, Sp4rk, Egi010 and 3 others like this.
  12. strich

strich

Will your solution support camera stacking? We render our UI separately to the 3D world in its own camera, then stack it as an overlay. My hope is that your solution plugs into the post processing stack?

13. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

Yes, that should give no problems, however currently we only support one FSR on 1 camera.
    Our solution does not plug into the PP stack, it does support the use of the PP stack though.

Why do you render the UI into a seperate camera? Each camera has a CPU overhead even if its set to not render anything.

14. strich

strich

So we can apply bloom.

15. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

Definitely!

16. Sp4rk

Sp4rk

Awesome, it makes sense. Thanks, can't wait to try it out!

17. Astfgl

Astfgl

I can't really comment on Switch performance or how viable FSR2 is for it in real-world scenarios because I'm unable to do extensive performance tests on that platform. One setup that might be attractive on Switch would be to render at native 720p in portable mode, then in docked mode use the extra GPU headroom to upscale that 720p to 1080p using FSR2. I don't know how realistic that is though, because FSR2 is not particularly cheap to run and it might exceed the headroom that docked mode provides.

In general though, what's nice about FSR2 is that it's a fixed GPU cost per frame, that depends only on the display resolution, the chosen quality mode and any optional features that may be enabled. That makes its impact on performance very controllable and predictable. That extra GPU cost is then offset by the reduced cost of rasterization at a lower internal resolution. Rasterization tends to be highly variable in its GPU time cost, because it depends on all of the variables in your game and your scene. The lower internal resolution however means that not only are rasterization costs reduced, any spikes in GPU time will also be less severe.

That means that with FSR2 enabled, performance will overall be more stable than rendering at native resolution without FSR. So if your game is currently running at a wavering 20-30 fps on consoles for example, adding FSR2 to the mix can change that into a more consistent 30-35 fps, allowing for a stable 30 fps lock with vsync enabled.

18. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I was thinking to run at 360p when on handheld mode :)

19. simonrcodrington

simonrcodrington

Is there any update on this? I'm interested in maybe implementing FSR 2.0

Is this something that will be available this week? This month? What versions of Unity will be supported specifically for URP

20. PieterAlbers

PieterAlbers

I am really curious as well - dropping in here and checking the assst store almost on a daily basis ;)

21. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

It all depends on the speed of Unity's review team. We've had a setback in review because Unity didn't allow us to use some images (provided by AMD) on the store. So we're back in review again since last friday.

My best guess, if all goes well, it'll be this week.

We've tested the tool in Unity 2021.3 (URP 12) and 2022.2.x (URP 14).

Thanks for your interest, I'll be sure to update this thread when we go live!

Ryiah, Astfgl and PieterAlbers like this.
  22. baggyg

baggyg

Any word on whether this will work for VR on HDRP?

MagiJedi and Alterego-Games like this.
  23. Kevin-VFX

Kevin-VFX

Personally I want URP VR support because current URP VR upscalers are completely broken.

MagiJedi and Alterego-Games like this.
  24. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

We’re focussing on stability and getting through the review stage first, but VR is something we’d definitely want to support in the future, for all renderpipelines. But I can’t give a release date!

MagiJedi likes this.
  25. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

26. baggyg

baggyg

Congrats! If anyone is able to test this in VR, please let us know. Insta-buy if it works! If not, then will have to wait I guess.

MagiJedi likes this.
  27. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

Thanks! The more interest for VR there is, the faster we’ll be able to make it work!

MagiJedi likes this.
  28. Bwacky

Bwacky

29. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

Unfortunately not something we control, we’ve “just” gone live so maybe they’ll add it later on!

Bwacky likes this.
  30. Bwacky

Bwacky

1. Kind of jumped the gun and forgot to ask but was it tested on 2023.3? :D
    2. Getting these errors in the URP Demo. The asset itself seems to fully work other than the errors.

3. Additionally, in my primary project, the quality goes a fair bit down - everything gets incredibly blurry and jagged - it might be some beginner error I'm making here of course. Do I understand correctly that I should disable mipmapping completely to make use of FSR 2?

4. Also noticed performance actually drops by about 15 FPS in the demo project for URP running 2023.3.0 on all settings, even Ultra Performance - is that normal/expected with high-mid hardware? 5800x, 64 GB RAM, RTX 3080.

31. Dark-1-Games

Dark-1-Games

Congrats on the release! Been waiting on this for a while, refreshing this forum post once every couple of days, was an instant buy. :D
    That said, encountering couple of issues trying to implement in our URP game using deferred rendering:
    1. Getting the same error as bwacky, seems harmless.
    2. Multiple cameras don't work. Not camera stacking, just multiple cameras rendering at different parts on the screen

We are rendering 4 side by side camera, out of which the first one is full width at the start (it shows black when running the game). Pausing / playing the game fixes the blackness, but when this camera's size shrinks to quarter of the screen, it seems like it's trying to draw to the entire width of the screen, the other three cameras are nowhere to be seen:

simonrcodrington likes this.
  32. Dark-1-Games

Dark-1-Games

One more thing - it might sound weird but the builtin unity FSR has support for downscaling as well. The point is to just use FSR as an antialiasing effect, would be nice if this asset could do the same - even rendering at 1x scale, just to get smoothing

33. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

Lots of questions, I’ll one at a time!

1: 2023.3, do you mean 2021.3? If so, the yes definitely!

2: Haven’t seen that error before, will have to do some research before I can say if its an issue or not.

3: This is definitely not something that should happen! Unless you select “ultra performance” things should be absolutely crisp, and even Ultra perf should not look jagged! Do you change the renderscale in a script? Our FSR tool uses URP’s renderscale option for downscaling, but doesn’t “lock it” so you can still change it, but we do not recommend it.

4: Yes, depending on hardware the URP demo is very optimized, and is CPU bound, in which case FSR will add a small gpu overhead(15 fps on 600 or so)

Thanks! Happy to be through the review! For the remdertexture errors, same as 1 above, I’ll be looking into it.

About your other issue, can you try removing FSR from all camera’s except one? Our current implementation only supports FSR on 1 camera instance. We’re looking into how we can support multiple camera’s for all renderpipelines, but each offers unique problems.

We can easily add this in an update, I’ll add it to our backlog. If you are in need for a quick solution you can add it yourself in the FSR base class. Add a new enum to the quality enum and in the “OnSetQuality function add a new case with that enum and set the m_scale to 1. (Pseudo code, as I’m not able to get behind a pc as we speak). Or even more easily, change the renderscale back to 1 after initialisation!

34. Ryiah

Ryiah

I think they meant 2022.3. You can see the error if you create a new project with the URP sample, add the script to the camera setting a mode other than off, add the render feature to the pipeline asset, and hit play.

35. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

Ah, no 2022.3 wasn’t out yet at the time we posted to the store. We tested on 2022.2.x.

Also, as a note a note to everyone that is encountering issues. The asset has been tested thoroughly, but each project is completely different and there will definitely be lots of edge cases, and we’ll do our very best in fixing the issues!

36. Bwacky

Bwacky

1. Meant 2022.3, a bit brain-dead today :(

lacas8282 and Alterego-Games like this.
  37. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

2022.3 wasn’t out at the time, but we tested on a late 2022.2.x. But I’ll try it out early next week.

lacas8282 likes this.
  38. ParacyteZero

ParacyteZero

+10 to HDRP+VR (am I allowed to vote more than once?)

MagiJedi, baggyg and Alterego-Games like this.
  39. Dark-1-Games

Dark-1-Games

Alright, tried leaving FSR on only 1 of the cameras, but when that camera's Viewport rect changes dimension I still get the same visual glitch (It simply renders on top of all the other cameras, stretched AF)

40. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

I have done some tests on viewport rect changes, which didn’t result in the things you describe, so I’ll try to reproduce them, can you give me the Unity version? URP I presume?

41. Dark-1-Games

Dark-1-Games

Unity 2022.2.5f1, URP Deferred. Rendering 4 cameras horizontally, each 25% width. Leftmost camera has the FSR component and starts with full width, and it's width is animated down to 25%

In this case there are no errors, just the visual glitch

42. ForRiver4Game

ForRiver4Game

43. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

When I get to the office, I’ll check it first thing!

Dark-1-Games likes this.
  44. bakanekofr

bakanekofr

Hi @Alterego-Games, just purchased your asset but it doesn't work on my setup:
    - Unity 2022 LTS.
    - Built-in RP.
    - x64 Windows DX11 - Nvidia RTX 3090.

Though the camera is not displayed directly, it renders in a rendertexture. Do you support that?
    Also, I'm using the old Unity Post Processing (v1).

Looking forward to a fix, this should be really helpful on my games.

Thanks!

45. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

Hey! We haven’t tried it on v1, will run some tests.

do you mean you render to a rendertexture yourself? That will probably need some modification to make it work. Let me think on it.

46. bakanekofr

bakanekofr

Yes, the camera render the scene in a render texture.

47. lacas8282

lacas8282

Hey, I am using URP, UNITY 2022.3 LTS with Vulkan. Is it supported?

48. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

Apparently 2022.3 LTS gives a “non critical” error which we have to look into, but URP and Vulkan shouldn’t be a problem!

lacas8282 likes this.
  49. Bwacky

Bwacky

Another question, though not FSR2 specific - I see this with all TAA solutions I use and was hoping I wouldn't have it happen with FSR2 :(
    I have incredible screen jitter as if someone was shaking the entire monitor up and down very quickly. Is there any reason why this would happen? I tried like 3 TAA solutions by now and it's just all shakey vibratey.
    I don't see it in the demo scenes but happens in my other project, so it's definitely something with my setup going wonky (albeit it's just a normal camera, no magic like stacking or multiple cameras etc.)

50. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

Hmmm, if all TAA sollutions have this in your project, its probably some edge case in your project. You could try rightmouse button ->reset on your camera component.(make a screenshot of your camera component first, so you know what settings it had). Sometimes weird things can happen to camera components in upgrading to newer Unity projects.