Search Unity

Boom! (title also wip)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by botumys, Mar 15, 2011.

1. botumys

botumys

Hi I want to share with you my work in progress about a game that I'm creating. I'm learning java script and it's my
    first attempt in programming.

The goal of the game is to bring the ball to the target by using explosives items. The more the ball is near of the explosion's center, the faster it will influenced by the blast.

You can try the game here (unity 3.5 flash version) :

http://www.game.irilys.eu/olivier/xzyu/xzyu.html

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  2. JasonWIR

JasonWIR

I kind of like the graphics already. It looks fun and playful!

3. botumys

botumys

thx :)
    In fact, blocs will stay bloc, but I have to create textures and models now .

4. botumys

botumys

first concepts:

5. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Looks interesting, but that grid texture makes me feel like I'm adjusting lightmap settings... :p

6. botumys

botumys

:) It's just a placeholder like 100% of there is include in screenshots and demo ;)

7. botumys

botumys

8. SkipKickCrash

SkipKickCrash

I thought the same thing!

9. botumys

botumys

do you tested the game, reached the target ?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  10. botumys

botumys

Game progression : 15%

-Final look for guardians (animated):

-Final look for main module (animated) and the ball:

-New explosive engine : the tiny mine. Influences the ball only vertically.

Web player with a new test level:
    http://game.irilys.eu/olivier/boom/WebPlayer.html

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  11. starpaq

starpaq

took me forever, but I finally got it!!!

$screen_shot.jpg

12. botumys

botumys

:D
    Can you tell me how many try/time you took ?

13. Wraith2021

Wraith2021

Looks good, with a bit more polish, and some more tricky devices this could be a winner.

14. botumys

botumys

update: Dynamic adjusted on little mines. And I added a second guardian in inventory.
    More devices are planned:

- laser guardian (one way)
    - movement detector
    - moving devices
    - rocket launcher

And many stuff for the set:
    -destructible items
    -moving stuctures
    -gates
    -ice, mud, swamp

others :

bonus

15. starpaq

starpaq

I would like to say that it took me 15 - 20 tries after i figured out what i was suppose to do. I didn't notice that i could rotate the view to see the other platforms at first. But after that it was somewhat addicting to get the ball to the final point.

16. starpaq

starpaq

I did it again, and here is the setup I used. Only required 3 mines total. The ball launches off the first well across both middle platforms. Then it run into the large mine pushing it directly toward the mark. I left a screenshot in case it helps with testing.
    $screen_shot2.jpg

Edit: Actually I only needed two; the first small bounce mine and the large one.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  17. botumys

botumys

Thx for your feedback starpaq ! I never reach the goal with less than 3 mine :D
    I have to create tutorials and help screen.

For camera:

LMB = move
    RMB = rotate
    CMB = zoom
    "f" = focus the camera on a zone.

Now I have to think about rules. I hesitate between:

1) keep the target and calculate the score based on the precision adjusted by remaining mines in inventory
    2) remove the target and replace it by a funnel. Calculate the score with number of try and remaining mines.

In both cases, I have to allow player to start the game even if there are still items in its inventory.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  18. botumys

botumys

New mine: the sentinel, she explodes when the ball pass trough the laser. You can orient it with right mouse button.
    No more target system, but a hole to reach.
    Now, you can start the reaction even there is more mines in inventory. In next release, score will be based on mines used.

19. botumys

botumys

Hi, a new web player is available!
    There is 2 levels, only the first one is finalized, second one is my test level.
    I changed the textures and added a help screen to explain how to play.
    Level 1 is used to explain basic camera movement, Level 2 will introduce 1 mine, level 3 : one mine and one obstacle,...

Now, I have to create more elements for levels and moving things.

20. wingedfox123

wingedfox123

looks cool! :D

21. botumys

botumys

22. beck

beck

Awesome game! Difficulty ramp is WAY too steep though. I didn't know what any of the items did on the second level, or how to effectively use them. Once I figured out what they did, I thought it was really awesome but the second level was too difficult. I'd recommend at least 2 or 3 levels demonstrating the nuances of each item, and also a few levels demonstrating the idea of jumping.

Overall though, really cool idea and I like your art!

23. botumys

botumys

I quote myself :) :

"There is 2 levels, only the first one is finalized, second one is my test level.
    Level 1 is used to explain basic camera movement, Level 2 will introduce 1 mine, level 3 : one mine and one obstacle,..."

Anyway, thanks for your kinds words !

O.

24. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

hey, I might be interested in doing some work for you if you need it :) Check out my 2d work link in my signature, if you like what you see and you need help drop me a line, Same for 3d!

Best of luck, looks great
    -Charlie

25. botumys

botumys

No..no.., the project is not dead ! :)

To prove it, here's 2 new screenshots.

On the first picture you can see a new helper :
    -Magnetic field.Distance between the source field and the ball defines intensity of repulse effect.
    You can see also a plate that toggles on or off all magnetic fields in the level.

On the second picture, I placed new set elements such as slopes or fake trees.

26. botumys

botumys

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  27. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

Brilliant work. Love the game, style and simplicity.

It did feel a little easy, though being just the first 5 levels I would imagine the difficulty in both working out a path and getting the explosive force right will increase later.

My only real critique is that I think you should drop pretty much all the instructions and most of the HUD. I think the game is so simplistic in its design (and that is a compliment) that you don't need instructions and the HUD kinda gets in the way of the aesthetics.

For example the instructions you do have weren't in English, actually I didn't even bother to look to see what language they were in, the first two pictures were enough to tell me the aim of the game. Actually i'm not even sure I needed the pictures, but there I am trading on decades of game experience. Future level instructions were missing, but one key point was there, the title of the level, which often gave a clue to how to complete it.

So i'd say drop the text from the instructions, maybe just show a little animation of the explosion and the ball dropping into the hole. That's all it needs. As new elements are introduced, players can experience the fun of seeing what happens, instead of being told what the new element does before the level starts. The level name can then be displayed prominently in nice big letters on screen, and contain clues on how to complete it.

As for the HUD, I felt going up to a 'boom' button, broke you out of the game a bit. Why not a big flashy red button on top of the explosive? Something integrated into the game world instead of a 2d gui element?

Not sure what you could do with the rewind button though. I did think you could change the score to just a stopwatch graphic and that you could click on that to reset the simulation, though that's almost the same as a 2d gui.

Oh one other minor criticism, I did start to find it slightly annoying to have to move the camera after the explosion to 'track' the ball, it would be more player friendly if you could make this automatic.

Anyway as I said, great looking game.

28. Sargon_of_Akkad

Sargon_of_Akkad

This looks lovely man, great job!

29. Chickenlord

Chickenlord

Great stlye, great gameplay, great game. Enjoyed the first levels. Except the second one. Needed like 24 tries to get it, because the ball allways stopped right next to the hole. Bit annoying. But except from that, awesome work!

30. Priske415

Priske415

diggin the style, I loved the animations on the mines. Are you planning on making it so the player can lay down mines and builder there own paths to the goal? I feel like what you have is fun but players being able to work there way to the goal themselves would be really awesome

31. botumys

botumys

Hi, thanks for yours comments ! I'm glad that you like my game.
    I re-wrote a lot of scripts to change the gameplay and convert the game to be playable with the new flash building system (and for the contest).
    Big change is the new blast cell. With these cells, the player can influence the ball direction.
    Because flash version don't accept Right mouse button and mouse wheel I had to remap them to keyboard keys.
    All is explain in the game, just take the time to read instructions :D
    The game works on Chrome too, but you have to change camera speed in option.

ps: @Noisecrime, thx for your nice advice ! In next version, I'll replace texts by little pictures!

You can try the game here (flash version) :

http://www.game.irilys.eu/olivier/xzyu/xzyu.html

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  32. joeboy30

joeboy30

This is brilliant, it is similar to mini-golf in a weird way you should add some moving obstacles, that would be challenging. I could see this being an app store phenomenon or at least a craze. Keep up the good work.

33. botumys

botumys

Thx joeboy ! I have 1000 ideas for this game. New Xzyus, traps, dynamic set, final levels...

34. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Looks great :D you are my hero man your fantasy world is what made me get into unity at first :D you are verry tellented :D:D:D:D

35. brown2na

brown2na

Its fun and enjoyable. It would be something to entertain myself with on my ipod also :p

36. botumys

botumys

How do you find level difficulty ?

37. BrendanKZN

BrendanKZN

Well done, very addictive. I know this is WIP but only reason I'm bringing this up is because I had an argument with my girlfriend about the same thing yesterday. On the "First Encounter level" the spelling of the first "quite" did you not mean "quiet" :D Well done, great idea and good work!

38. Xantec

Xantec

Just a little suggestion, When they beat the level dont make them press next level. Also when the ball goes into the hole, it would be cool if you could have it do some kind of animation up the little trail it has around it(the orange light thing). Almost like its being sucked up,

39. botumys

botumys

Thx ! I'll change this misspelling. btw, I want to thank my friend Christophe for texts and translating.

@Xantec: I have many fx, sounds and animations to add, but I had to finish the game for the contest, and because I'm learning scripting by myself, I'm slow :)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012