Search Unity

Official Book of the Dead

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Buhlaine, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

First of all, SRP is still experimental so things might change in the future especially for ease of use.

Currently, this is how you can setup wind animation for foliage

Needed - If your project was made from the HD template or was added by the package manager you will need the Scriptable Render Pipeline Data files from GitHub. If you got your project from the SRP GitHub repository you should already have what's needed.

First thing is to enable Vertex Animation for the shader
    upload_2018-3-7_18-27-35.png

Then you need to create an empty game object and add the "Shader Wind Settings" script to it.
    Then you can play with your settings to get the look you want. (Note: This will animate the whole mesh. I haven't messed with vertex painting to stop parts of the object from moving so I can't speak on that aspect.)

upload_2018-3-7_18-21-32.png

2. Thall33

Thall33

Thanks @Grimreaper358 , I'm excited to get home a try this!

Whats the process for the vertex painting? is this done in Unity as well? thanks for your time!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  3. Micz84

Micz84

At GDC it was said that demo forest will be available for download. Is there any ETA for that?

4. adampzb

adampzb

Any idea when we can expect 2018.1 release?

5. theolagendijk

theolagendijk

Unity3D.com says April 2018.

Attached Files:

WillNode and adampzb like this.
  6. ceebeee

ceebeee

Still waiting on an actual look at this demo. It's not much of a demo if it's never released.

JoeStrout likes this.
  7. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

Yea, you can do it in Unity with Poly Brush, and also in most DCC 3d program

8. FreeGameDev

FreeGameDev

What happened to the release? This video says the level and all the assets to be released in April.

9. ceebeee

ceebeee

Fake News I guess.

neoshaman likes this.
  10. hopeful

hopeful

Might have been waiting for 2018.1 to make it out, officially ...?

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  11. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Unity does not mess people around without a good reason. The reason is staff are slammed with work, they will catch up, release something etc, we must be patient for our freebies.

12. FreeGameDev

FreeGameDev

Yeah, no problem, as game makers, I think we all understand things sometimes taking longer than anticipated. Not complaining at all. Just making sure I did not miss it somewhere.

Ryiah, hippocoder and Fallenleader like this.
  13. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

There was a response from Unity staff about this and it is coming! :)

MadeFromPolygons and hopeful like this.
  14. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Thanks @hippocoder

15. cfree

cfree

I have read in some thread that the target is now release Book of the Dead in 2018.2... can anyone confirm?

I have another doubt: is Book of the Dead built with the new HD Pipeline, right?

16. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

There has been no target. Unity will post it on blog when it is ready, and it is done with HD.

17. neoshaman

neoshaman

The book of the dead is the test case for HD pipeline, I expect both to be released when ready

MadeFromPolygons and cfree like this.
  18. elbows

elbows

Well done for getting part of the Book of the Dead environment into the Apple WWDC keynote. I have long sung Unitys praises on this forum for doing things like getting the Unity compute shaders that work on DX11 working on other graphics APIs/platforms, very much including Metal. And I've long been a proponent of sticking more powerful graphics cards into macs, one way or another, so the combination of Unity and Apple pushing eGPUs is one that I am bound to applaud again today.

19. Deleted User

Deleted User

The tree work was impressive and you can't get tree's from megascans, does anyone know if they were all custom made or used in conjunction with speedtree?

neoshaman likes this.
  20. Mauri

Mauri

21. ceebeee

ceebeee

yes, and please read the description, where it says to install in an empty project. The reviews have people trying to install it into their active project which of course results in much crying and heartache. So just don't do that.

22. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Still hoping to see the actual interactive demo someday.

23. tsukiyomi

tsukiyomi

so you start from an empty project in HDSRP is that it ? Because I tried many times but I also have many bugs :/ I know I failed somewhere x) but I can't seems to find the correct way to import it ><

24. elbows

elbows

No, dont even install HDRP first. Just a normal empty project created with the plain '3D template'. The asset comes with its own version of HDRP.

25. tsukiyomi

tsukiyomi

Thank you so much man !

26. ceebeee

ceebeee

I'm a little confused by the licensing. They make the point of saying they used Quixel's MegaScan extensively. But in the License documents, they don't mention them anywhere.

Are they indicating even though these textures/assets came from Megascans, they are still releasing them under the Asset Store License? (can be used commercially), or is this an oversight on their part?

AaronC likes this.
  27. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Now that the assets are available, I can use them!

28. castana1962

castana1962

Hi
    I downloaded and I love it !!!
    On the other hand and since I am working with Unity 2018.1 and I am interested in making one try with this Unity version and the Book of the death Environment art , for it, Would it be possible to import the Environment only to Unity 2018.1? .If is Is it possible. What I should do it?
    Thanks for your time
    Alejandro

29. tinyant

tinyant

when you re-bake lighting the BOOK OF THE DEAD,it's takes so long time ...:eek::eek::eek::eek:
    anyone try to re-bake the cool scene's lighting?
    How long it take to finish the whole progress!!!!!!

30. alsharefeeee

alsharefeeee

ezgif.com-optimize (2).gif
    Hi guys, tried the book of the dead asset and its amazing.
    But someday out of no where suddenly this happened, did I do some thing wrong here.

31. VastnessVR

VastnessVR

Hi Guys,
    Has anybody tried to use the book of the dead demo in VR?
    I tried it today very quickly. I imported the Steamvr asset and got an error about the canvas and can't run with VR.

Any ideas?

32. elbows

elbows

The HD render pipeline that the demo is built upon does not support VR yet.

33. VastnessVR

VastnessVR

I'll have to keep waiting then.
    Thanks for the reply.

34. mebalzer

mebalzer

Thank you for releasing this. I have already started with the 'AssetsLibrary' scene to test the possibly of porting "Breath of a Forest" over from Unreal to Unity if the HD pipeline will have AR/VR support in final release of 2018.2. Is there a possibility of the stereo 360 capture working with it as well?

florianalexandru05 likes this.
  35. elbows

elbows

The release of 2018.2 is not far away now and unless I've missed some important detail somewhere, AR/VR support for HD pipeline is still some way off, not a 2018.2 target.

mebalzer likes this.
  36. elbows

elbows

Or maybe it is more complicated than my previous post indicated, I just dont know.

For example the following link is to a recent list of what features are supported in HD in 2018.1, and then a list of what is additionally supported in 2018.2.

There are a couple of features that mention VR listed in the 2018.1 section, but I'm sort of assuming that more than those are required to support VR properly. Will post again if I find more info.

castana1962 and mebalzer like this.
  37. mebalzer

mebalzer

Yea, my thoughts as well so that is disappointing but understandable. I guess I will have to stick with Unreal, which is not an issue since similar photo-realistic assets are available as well. I was hoping someone chime in if the 360 capture works since it doesn't use the VR pipeline, but I guess I will test it. If I can capture stereo frames, this will help me in adapting these to the Oculus Go / Carmack 5K video encoder.

38. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

Is the hand along with the material already to be downloaded somewhere to look a look at how it's set up?

39. puppeteer

puppeteer

Starting with the default "3D" settings and importing into Unity 2018.2.2f1 (64-bit), all I get is some errors and empty scenes, with missing assembly reference.

Capture.PNG

Attached Files:

40. AaronC

AaronC

Where it says"3d" on your new project options click there you should see some new options for scene type.

41. Ryiah

Ryiah

You need to load the necessary packages. Start by opening the package manager.

Window -> Package Manager

After that click the "All" tab and import the following packages.

Render-pipelines.core
    Render-pipelines.high-definition

Once that's done it should work.

42. puppeteer

puppeteer

Turned out in the end that it was an import problem. I repeated the process about 4 times on different project folders until it imported correctly. Didn't change anything, just 3D and import.

It's quirky like that I guess.

beard-or-die likes this.
  43. KidKutta98

KidKutta98

Is there any way to jst download the models in package i try to jst download the art folder in the package but everything still comes out pink

44. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I have to admit that Unity got a long way in graphics. I haven't had time to use HDsrp that much so it looks to me like a lot has been added. I might try converting some of my assets to HD sometime in the future, I'm one of those people that never gets satisfied with lightning (and I messed up with my pbr till now). Also, downloaded the demo, looks good but I have a question. Does the post-processing have some sort of light scattering or something? Kinda looks like SEGI voxel lights. I don't know anything about the lighting in HD yet...

storewicom likes this.
  45. TommyBrown

TommyBrown

Woooow! It's really awesome and it looks so real:)

46. storewicom

storewicom

Looks cool

47. Alejo028

Alejo028

Does anybody have any idea if the full interactive book of the dead will be published any time soon?

48. castana1962

castana1962

Hi, Please Unity people let Us use this Envonment for VR projects since I am trying some VR ready Environment and all of them are very poor. If anydoby know some VR Natural Enviroment that it really was good, please let me know it. Thanks

49. mfcpilot

mfcpilot

hi guys, I've just installed Unity Beta 2018.3.0b2 and when I click on the open in unity link of the "book of the dead" project, it just takes me to a dashboard showing me tutorials and projects but doesn't show me anything related to this project. Any insight on what I might be doing wrong?

50. lisasims

lisasims

the graphics look great. It's really awesome that Unity made the assets available. Now just a waiting game for VR adaptation.... Come on team Unity!!

castana1962 and IsDon like this.