Search Unity

Official Book of the Dead: Environment

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by torbjorn, Jun 20, 2018.

1. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

Standard shader doesn’t support HDRP. “Lit” is the standard equivalent in HDRP.

2. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

Did your project have an old version of PostProcess that replaced the BotD compatible PP included with the project?

3. amritt_unity

amritt_unity

HDRP doesn't support Standard Shaders. Use HDRenderPipeline/Lit shader

4. Howzer

Howzer

Can 3rd party shaders used in the book of the dead project such Uber and RTP for the terrain?

5. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

Any 3rd party that supports HDRP can be used, but being a preview package still, I doubt there’s a lot of HDRP compatible shaders in the Asset Store at the moment.

I’d recommend looking into what the included Lit and Layered Lit shaders can do.

6. Davood_Kharmanzar

Davood_Kharmanzar

seems that this project used an custom version of HDRP ... i tried to upgrade it to the latest github version but failed!!
    so, how to do that??

or can you list these custom changes?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  7. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

Upgrading involves merging latest 2018.2 branch, you can't just overwrite the custom RP in the project. The _GIT_HEADS file inside _LocalPackages shows which revision the custom pipeline is currently based on.

@rizu has been putting diffs against official online: https://forum.unity.com/threads/book-of-the-dead-environment.536902/page-6#post-3588736

8. Davood_Kharmanzar

Davood_Kharmanzar

9. Howzer

Howzer

If we use the assets from this project and incorporate them into our environment, does our project have to be converted to HDRP? Can the assets be made to use a custom shader and when can we expect to see an official release of HDRP?

10. elbows

elbows

There are other people on the forums who have taken assets into standard renderer projects, eg posts like the following one which has some info on what was done, and a remaining issue (which was helped with in later responses to that post) : #282

As for HDRP, it is nowhere close to coming out of preview. Nor is it close enough to that happening that anyone would give you a useful time estimate, but I'm sure it wont be in 2018 and there could still be plenty of work to do in 2019 before they are happy enough with it to drop the preview tag. One reason I say this is that they are usually quite cautious about dropping the preview tag from packages, I really like what HDRP can do already but there is plenty left to do and even LWRP, a simpler system, is not out of preview yet.

11. Howzer

Howzer

Thanks for the replies, will look into it

12. Zak_M

Zak_M

This looks great in the editor but as soon as I hit play it crashes Unity. I've followed the instructions listed here for new project and importing. Would really like to see it in action if anyone can help.
    I am running Win7 64bit, GeForce1070, 32 gigs of ram, Unity 2018.2.5f1 (64-bit).

Thanks!

13. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

Hi. You're probably hitting a rare bug in the new SRP batcher. Try deleting
    Code/EnableSRPBatcher.cs
    from the project and test again.

If that fixes the issue for you, we would really appreciate a bug report on the matter. You don't have to include any project files or repro case, just refer to this conversation so we can pick it up and get it looked at with the information the bug reporter collected.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  14. AaronC

AaronC

Hi again, this looks great and I am enjoying poking around.
    In the main scene if you run it on it's own without the additive loaded scenes, and filter by type: Camera, I have three gamobject cameras. Any chance of a quick run down of what each of these are doing? Is one providing information to another?

Thanks

15. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

MainCamera: renders the world
    CameraPath_AnimatedCamera: is always disabled, but the GameObject is the target of the fly-through animation
    ShadowCamera: renders fixed-staggered shadow cascades (in BotD:E default case, it renders the last shadow cascade once on start)

16. AaronC

AaronC

Thanks. Interesting!

My existing project has a number of cameras added to it including for most of it, a layered camera over another. Is there anything to consider in this case by using many camera ie Should I have Post process layer on every camera I use or is that a bad idea due to doubling up some aspects of rendering (even if most cameras are disabled/deactivated)? Is there any scripts that I ought to avoid having more than once in the scene?

Thanks!

17. Thepolite

Thepolite

Hi
    I have a problem with the package. I can't place a new terrain, it is always pink. I read a couple of replies with the same problem, but did not find a clear solution.
    Even when I place an example terrain, it shows up in pink.
    I would appreciate if someone could help me, I'd really like to use these assets for my preject.
    I made a screenshot with the example terrain.

Terrain pink.PNG

Thanks for the help.
    Cheers

18. AaronC

AaronC

And the volume script has a Context slot...But I cannot drop my own cameras in there?

It seems there is must be a number of bake steps in here somehow because it doesn't seem to work very well importing terrain and assets into your scene and then moving all the AV's and PPV's and so on into place.. Does the project set out occlusion probes, bake them, and then they disappear by any chance?

Nevermind I think I figured that out

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  19. AaronC

AaronC

On the terrain object you have the option for a custom material on the last pane of terrain component.

Create a lit/layered material with 4 terrain textures and it should slot right in there
    yours is set to "Built-in Standard"

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  20. Thepolite

Thepolite

Thanks for the answer. But this brings me to the next problem. When I add a custom material to the terrain, I am not able to paint any texture on to the terrain.
    It lets me add more textures to the "paint texture" tool but I can't use them.
    So I guess the solution with the custom material is not the solution I am looking for.

Cheers

21. puppeteer

puppeteer

A while ago I saw a post by Unity team inviting people to showcase their packages integrated with the Book of the Dead environment? It was supposed to be shown at one of the conventions I think. Is the offer still on?

Anyway, I'm working on an integration for my On Rails Shooter template:

Rowlan, Clyde_Coulter and AaronC like this.
  22. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

You have to setup the layers in that custom material, and you should also make sure to check 'terrain mode'. Look at the included terrain layers and material to see how things are setup there.

23. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

It's hard to give a general answer here. Having a PPL on disabled camera isn't an issue when running HDRP, but in general there are some things in the engine that have a somewhat steep setup cost when first rendering through a previously disabled camera - so I wouldn't personally suggest using jumping between lots of different camera instances if it can be avoided.

24. AaronC

AaronC

Question related to this:
    I have moved sun in BOTD demo and I understand the cascade camera is moved also.
    So this is doing work, even though the camera itself is disabled?

I had a problem where the final cascade wouldn't render so I bumped up the HDRenderPipelineAsset_Desktop.asset Shadow Atlas Width and Height settings. Initially this helped but after a bake I had lost them again so I increased these values a second time. I think that worked but then they disappeared again, eventually I ran out of headroom with that setting.. So is there a way to handle this problem better and avoid the DebugLog messages:
    Shadow atlasing has failed. and
    Shadow allocation failed in the ReserveFinalize step.
    ?

Thank you!

25. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

> So this is doing work, even though the camera itself is disabled?

The shadow camera is created/moved on demand (it doesn't really need to exist, it's just convenient for debugging). It's common for offscreen cameras to be disabled and only do work through Camera.Render. In this case, however, the shadow camera is never directly used to render anything, it's just used to drive a culling request to capture a set of renderers that are then 'manually' rendered into shadow cascades depending on stagger settings.

> I had a problem where the final cascade wouldn't render so I bumped up the HDRenderPipelineAsset_Desktop.asset Shadow Atlas Width and Height settings

I kinda doubt that's the problem here (if nothing else than if you run out of shadow atlas space you would lose all cascades, not just the last one). The project intentionally only generates the last cascade once - this is then used throughout the rest of the play session without ever changing. For this to work, the camera needs to sit in a somewhat representative location when the initial render is captured - if you've reoriented it considerably, this might no longer be the case. Try disabling StaggeredCascades and see what happens?

>
    Shadow atlasing has failed. and Shadow allocation failed in the ReserveFinalize step.

This should only happen if you've added additional, shadowed light sources, or bumped the shadow resolution of the sun. AFAIK the project doesn't ship with any of these issues out-of-the-box.

26. YuriyPopov

YuriyPopov

Hi there, I'm really interested in implementing the atmospheric scattering from this project into my own. But I've run into quite a few issues with missing methods and so on. I understand it's a custom solution but even using the latest branch of the HDRP I cant get it to work. Any ideas or pointers on how to proceed ?

27. neoshaman

neoshaman

Is there a way to visualize the 3d textures?

28. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

Any 3D texture in particular?

29. neoshaman

neoshaman

The occlusion map (sky occlusion I think they are called).

30. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

It's tricky to support multiple cameras (like scene view and game view simultaneously) without a callback allowing deferred command buffers to be scheduled on a per camera basis.

The easiest way to get it running is porting the HDRPCallback/Method attributes to your HDRP and adding the OnPrepareCamera event and HDRPCallbackAttribute.ConfigureAllLoadedCallbacks() injection points.

31. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

It's not strictly speaking the raw 3D texture, but there's a debug mode called SkyOcclusion if you open Window/Render Pipeline/Debug Window and look at the material/lit debug list.

32. neoshaman

neoshaman

Thanks! I guess I'll write my own slice viewer once I figure out how to handle 3d texture lol

The truth is that I wanted to know what was the emerging structure, and if I could approximate it in other cheap way. I don't have a high end pc and over time I would like to port down book of the dead to these puny pc and hardware, it's obviously not practical, it's more an exercise, I expect it will be about turning everything off, but I want to see if I have some surprise or lesson lol

33. Eggasamy

Eggasamy

Hi There, I tried downloading it but it is frozen at 83%. Not sure how to restart or reset it in the asset store. Any suggestions?

34. AaronC

AaronC

I retrieved my missing shadows. I deleted the "Additional Shadow Data" script on the light, it reappeared and with it so did my shadows.

Thanks for the great info.

35. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

The best of luck in that effort! For the occlusion probes, you might be hard pressed to find a representation cheaper than HW filtered 8-bits per sample, though, .

36. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

Just restarting the editor should do that. Beyond that, the editor log file is always helpful in debugging such matters (https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LogFiles.html)

37. neoshaman

neoshaman

It's true for a generic "realistic" solution, but the hypothesis is: tree may have specific spatial signature, maybe I can fake that signature and recompose a plausible gradient, it wouldn't be "real" but close enough to create a similar effect. I guarantee you that all the leaf shadow, when character walking under sakura tree in anime, are not accurate to the actual drawn tree shapes!

38. CruelGamePIay

CruelGamePIay

Hello,
    I just managed to download and build the game and it went ok but I have to seem to weird effect and was wondering if it has something to do with the Demo , or maybe it's an nvidia settings thing, or even a hardware issue on my end.

there seems to be something of a "filter" that resembles a layer of "white/static noise" , you can see better on the farther rocks in the background center right side of the screen.
    is it the way it's supposed to render? or maybe something is going on?
    tried to watch a few video of people running the demo and haven't noticed anything.
    would be glad for some help :) and maybe if it's not demo related some info on where i should be looking into this stuff

39. rasto61

rasto61

I think grain is enabled in the post fx

40. CruelGamePIay

CruelGamePIay

any idea how to disable it? iam a bit new to unity, tried disabling a few things in the camera and it didnt work

41. rasto61

rasto61

find the post processing profile and disable grain. don't remember what its called, probably search for stuff with 'pp' in the project and find the profiles that use grain and disable it on them

42. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

Before you start disabling things, you should make sure you're looking at things in playmode as some effects are only fully running when playing the game (like temporal antialiasing and smoothing).

43. CruelGamePIay

CruelGamePIay

Hey thank you for the answer :), any chance you could point me in the right direction of the post processing? since i've been going through all the objects in my hierarchy looking for post processing disabling objects and trying out the game but to no success.

[Edit]
    Found it eventually in the PostProcessingLayer.cs , if anyone wishes to disable it just comment out the Grain method :)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  44. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

That's a bit like shooting sparrow with a cannon.. :) just uncheck the 'Grain' effect in the post process proile. (Filter project view on
    t:PostProcessProfile
    , Grain is set in the Default_PPV profile)

45. RAIN_proger

RAIN_proger

Hi! Great work!

I have a question, how does it handle collisions? I don't see any colliders attached to the obstacle gameobjects..

46. puppeteer

puppeteer

There's a separate hierarchy of objects for the colliders. Most of the path in the woods is covered by a "wall" of colliders on the sides.

47. hungrybelome

hungrybelome

Thanks for providing the tangent normal maps here.

If possible, can you also please give the tangent normal maps for:
    • Yosemite_01
    • Wood_Log_rfgxx
    • Wood_Log_rfixH
    • Wood_Root_rkswd
    Would great appreciate it if it is possible! Thanks

48. julienh_unity

julienh_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey!
    No problem, I have updated the GDrive folder. Tell me if you can't access them, but I think it should.
    But, as far as I know the Yosemite normal map is already a TS normal ? So I did not include that.

49. hungrybelome

hungrybelome

Hey, thanks a lot! I can access them fine. Sorry, my mistake about the Yosemite normal map,

50. MidnightShadow821

MidnightShadow821

Does this run on the linux version of unity?