Search Unity

Official Book of the Dead: Environment

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by torbjorn, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Ansumi

Ansumi

No tuve éxito....

2. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

Log please :) But probably you'd be better off just reimporting that entire project. One of the bugs I think you're hitting has been fixed in 18.2f2, so you might want to move up from b8 anyway.

3. ClipMcCain

ClipMcCain

Hi,
    Beginner here asking some perhaps stupid questions. First of all I absolutely love the trees here, and wanted to import them to my project. So I exported the whole Arts folder with everything it and imported that into my project. There I took the trees and changed shaders to Tree Soft Occulsion Bark and - leaves (Branches as leaves, rest as bark) to get them look "not pink". However I would like the wind to effect the trees, and I have not been able to do that. I have a wind zone, and Enable Tree Colliders on. I use the terrain tree painter thingy. So my questions are:

1. Is there a (beginner) way to get the wind to effect the trees
    2. If not, is there another way to get movement on the trees. My project is a dreamlike project, where the movement does not need to be natural.

As I said I am a beginner, but I am able to follow a tutorial :)

khaleaberry likes this.
  4. i4mtheone

i4mtheone

Hi there,

I'm trying to import the project, but I get this for a lot of the assets: trees, stumps etc.

upload_2018-7-27_11-0-43.png

And in the end it allows me to quit only.
    upload_2018-7-27_11-2-57.png

The last line says it can't find the file specified.

5. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

This could be because the path becomes too long. Have you tried in a project sitting close to the drive root?

6. i4mtheone

i4mtheone

The path was root:/unity projects/bookofthedead/

I'll try with shorter folder names and get back to you monday.

EDIT:

@torbjorn Sorry for late reply, but the problem still persists even when placing the project folder at root and simplifying the name to root:/botd/

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  7. io-games

io-games

Just updated unitypackage to version 1.1
    Editor crashes when I press play.

8. looki666

looki666

Same.

9. TimNick151297

TimNick151297

@torbjorn Any possibility to update the package within an existing project?

10. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

11. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

I would suggest deleting _LocalPackages before trying that or you’ll end up with conflicting guids on files that have been moved/renamed.

12. io-games

io-games

13. adndima

adndima

I apologize for the non-standard question. Can I use trees in projects created not on the unity engine?

14. io-games

io-games

Find TerrainEvo3 in project, but can not find any info about it. Can you explain what is the tool?

15. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

@io-games @looki666 please try deleting
    Assets/Code/EnableSRPBatcher.cs
    and see if that fixes the crash on playmode issue.

16. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

The trees are subject to Unity Asset Store EULA.

17. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

TE is an independent collection of terrain/environment authoring tools and helpers for Unity. The subset of tools used in BotD:E is distributed with the project - primarily the auto-spawn/scatter and physics distribution tools ('UberTrees') and lightmap->LODs renderer assignment.

io-games likes this.
  18. Sutagar

Sutagar

I've got last version of both Book of the Dead (1.1) and Unity (2018.2.1f1), it crashes when I try to play it..
    Both versions are from 26th July, so it should work..
    Any idea why this is happenning and how to solve it?

19. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

20. Sutagar

Sutagar

Working! Thanks!!

21. lordquas

lordquas

Does anyone know another 2018 current example with lighting and fog, godray effects as good BOTD but works with current packages and not the BOTD custom packages? Im trying to make a Forrest for the Asset store.
    Or we have to wait for the next version of Unity?

Also whats the best result I can hope for making a realistic forest for the LW Pipeline?

Looking for links, pictures, examples, videos etc.

22. Sutagar

Sutagar

For some reason I cannot move the camera through the controls in game mode. I mean, in the help it says that you press TAB and you can move the camera, with WASD I guess, isn't it?

I saw in a video online about book of the dead, that there are some controls to move the camera, but I cannot get that, I press TAB and nothing happens.

23. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

Great! Maybe that's worth more than a one star review.. ;)

WASD and mouse, yes (or PS/XB gamepad). Make sure you give the game view focus by clicking in it if you're testing in the editor.

24. Sutagar

Sutagar

Thanks, I have tried clicking on the game view before, but still not working.
    Anyway I made it work turning the free camera script in the main camera inspector, which was disabled, but still is not the same, it's a fly through, but not the character walking like in a game, and also there is no sound..

BTW what do you mean if you are testing in the editor. Sorry for my ignorance, is there any other way to test it without the editor?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  25. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

You can build it as a standalone application for PC/Mac/PS4/XB1. Look in the Tools/Build Player menu for options.

26. Sutagar

Sutagar

Thanks, Im trying to build a standalone for win 64 with player and with no player, but nothing, it gets stuck at the last time. My hardware is quite good, so I don't think that's the problem.

27. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

Are you sure it’s stuck? It takes a looong time to compile all shaders for the first build.

28. vb2509

vb2509

HDR pipeline is still unstable and does not support lighting box 2 terrain features yet which Im using in my game. Is there a way to use the trees in this demo in the standard rendering pipeline mantaining as much quality as what was delivered in the demo

29. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

There's always a way, but it requires work; custom shading, custom lighting model, bit of code and tools porting.

30. Sutagar

Sutagar

Well I don't know I thik I left it for like 15 or 20 mins, maybe I should wait more I don't know.

31. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

Yeah, that’s not enough.

32. amritt_unity

amritt_unity

Hi. First of all, really awesome work. I am trying to move the assets from HDRP to Standard Pipeline. (Only Rocks at the moment) I noticed several differences among shaders and texture maps. Generally I followed these steps to convert assets from HDRP to Standard Pipeline:

1. Import .fbx file to new project.
    2. Import supported maps to new project (Albedo and some Tangent space Normal maps).
    3. Convert "MaskMap" to appropriate maps (Metallic, AO, Detail Map Mask, Smoothness) using a custom built python script.
    4. Convert "DetailMap" to appropriate maps (Detail Albedo, Detail Normal map, Detail Smoothness) using another python script.
    5. Assign supported maps (Albedo, Tangent space Normal, AO, Detail Albedo, Detail Normal)
    6. Test with lighting
    However, I am having problems with converting Object Space Normal maps to Tangent Space normal maps. I tried xNormal, but not all converted maps are correct and creates weird artifacts. Any way to solve the issue? Other suggestions to improve the conversion pipeline.

I also noticed a huge difference in the quality of Standard Pipeline and HDRP.

33. norby

norby

Hi, i am not a coder. Does someone have an idea how to get rid of this error ?
    C:/Users/Norby/AppData/Local/Unity/cache/packages/packages.unity.com/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition@2.0.3-preview/HDRP/RenderPipeline/HDRenderPipeline.cs(1702,38): error CS1501: No overload for method `BakeMSVOMap' takes `7' arguments

Thanks

Norby

34. Sutagar

Sutagar

Ok thank you, I will try leaving it more time.

35. StayUpLate

StayUpLate

Getting a decent 45ish fps on a 980 Ti here. This is really lovely stuff guys!

torbjorn likes this.
  36. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

Don't use a project that already contains HDRP/PP (i.e. create a new one from 3D template). Customized versions are already included in the package.

37. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

Images of the problems would probably help a bit.

Here are some general thoughts:
    - when importing the FBX in a new project you should also move over the meta to retain the normal/tangent import settings.
    - some of the OSNs have channels swizzled/inverted to work with HDRP coord frame. you should undo this before converting them back to TSN
    - likewise, xN TSN output often needs green inverted when using Standard shader
    - precise details of the above tends to depend on whether FBXes originate from Max or Maya (i.e. whether they have an implicit Z/Y-up rotation compensation)
    - the tangent space used when baking in xN needs to match the tangent space used in Unity (so don't bake TSN with mikktspace if importing tangents into Unity in legacy mode etc)

38. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

39. amritt_unity

amritt_unity

Okay, I am testing your suggestions on Rock_31 asset at Art/Environments/Cliffs/Rock_31. I imported the meta file to new project. I tried converting OSN to TSN using xN.

Original Rock_31_Normal_OS (This is resized version for the purpose of demo only)

View attachment 290590

Converted TS Normal without any channel changes:

Rock_31_Normal_TS.jpg

Even after inverting channels (in OSN and after inverting of generated xN TSN), the converted TSN is still incorrect. I even compared the OSN generated from Maya of the same mesh (Normal baking in LOD 2 from LOD 0) and found Inverted Red channel.

Steps I followed:

- Invert Red channel in OSN
    - Feed Mesh and inverted OSN to xN
    - Invert Green channel in converted TSN
    - Got the same map as the one without any channel changes.

Can you provide me the details of how OSN are mapped in HDRP/Lit Shader? I could not find it in the documentation.

Also tried using a custom OSN taking surface shader in Unity 2017.1, but got incorrect results.

HDRP Albedo and OSN Map only: HDRP.PNG

Custom Surface Shader with Albedo and OSN map:
    Standard-CustomShader.PNG

OSN to TSN conversion snippet: (Very bad at coding shaders)
    Code (CSharp):
    1. o.Normal = normalize(mul(tex2D(_OSNormal, IN.uv_MainTex).xyz * 2.0 - 1.0, (float3x3)unity_WorldToObject);
    Also, tried creating a shader graph to use OSN in LWRP using 'transform' node. Doesn't affect the detail. Only changes the tint of albedo somehow.

SG.PNG

(Edit: Got OSN normal map working but weird artifacts)

Albedo + OSN
    https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/Hy29BKk.png

No Albedo + OSN
    https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/Hy29VTM.png

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  40. amritt_unity

amritt_unity

Solved the above issue using B2M of Substance. However there are much details lost using this process. Look for original TSNM in following posts.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    torbjorn and infinitypbr like this.
  41. AnujUchiha

AnujUchiha

Every model, after the import is pink.

42. puppeteer

puppeteer

Here's what I get after importing into an empty project using basic "3D", no HD pipeline choice.

Capture.PNG

Any idea what it could be?

43. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

This looks like an engine asset import bug. I would think just reimporting the
    _LocalPackages
    folder would fix this.

puppeteer likes this.
  44. puppeteer

puppeteer

Yes, that worked eventually.

I re-imported into a clean folder 4-5 times and the last one turned out fine. While importing if you don't get the initial splash screen with the "Load assets" button, then that's an indication that the import is not going well, so it's better to start fresh in a new folder.

45. julienh_unity

julienh_unity

Unity Technologies

@amritt_unity
    Hey, for the OSNM, it was a bit tricky for us too to actually make the OSNM in the first place. It actually depends of how the objects are setup in the fbx. (If they are at the root, or have a root node with different transforms). And since the assets have been authored by different people or come from different source, it is not always setup the same way.

I can tell you the process I often used to modify the OSNM from xNormal to make it work in the project. (Which I guess you would need to revert)
    -Bake OSNM in xNormal
    Then load it in Phothsop and:
    -Swap Blue and Green layers with each other (Can be done by actions, using a channel mixer adjustment layer)
    -Invert Red (ctrl+i or invert adjustment layer)
    -Invert Green (ctrl+i or invert adjustment layer)

You can also pm me a list of the textures you need the TSNM of and I can see if I can find them for you.

46. AaronC

AaronC

If I import my old project into the BOTD project, I get these errors:

Assets/_LocalPackages/botd.com.unity.render-pipelines.core/CoreRP/Utilities/CoreUtils.cs(313,57): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `PostProcessLayer' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

Assets/_LocalPackages/botd.com.unity.render-pipelines.core/CoreRP/Utilities/CoreUtils.cs(5,29): error CS0234: The type or namespace name `PostProcessing' does not exist in the namespace `UnityEngine.Rendering'. Are you missing an assembly reference?

I tried reimporting post processing package but it failed to help any.
    Originally I had a UnityVS conflict after importing my assets but I just deleted that folder.

Any advice please?

47. AaronC

AaronC

I tried moving the CoreUtils.cs into the same folder as PostProcessing
    It made more errors
    I tried moving PostProcessing into the same folder as CoreUtils
    It made more errors

Why did this break? I imported nothing that should interfere with these files
    Frustrating.

I will try reimporting the BOTD files again.

48. julienh_unity

julienh_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @amritt_unity ! I am posting your PM here, as others might be interested in the answer too.

Before all, you can get the Tangent NM maps here:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1S9W_jY-nrkCaOJnp5d0UHa58am6Qdkdc?usp=sharing

Tell me if any is not working as expected, I brought this back from a few months old revision, so source geometry might have changed since, but I think they should work. (Also, Rock_31 and Rock_31_B were using the same TSNM)

For the software, all the conversion from TSNM to OSNM was done with xNormal.

And finally, for the reason, you can find it here, at the end of the blog post: https://blogs.unity3d.com/2018/06/2...ene-building-and-content-optimization-tricks/
    Basically, using OSNM provides an identical shading on all of the lods. With a TS, your specular lighting would look different once you start reducing the triangle count, but with OSNM you don't have that issue.
    And why not on all of the assets are using it, it's because it was done only for the assets where the LOD pop was particularly noticeable using the TSNM.

infinitypbr likes this.
  49. amritt_unity

amritt_unity

Thanks, @julienh_unity. Every map is working perfectly.

I got a brief of the reasons to use OSNM over TSNM in the Unite Berlin 2018 video - Unite Berlin 2018 - Book of the Dead: Environmental Design Techniques for Photo-Real Worldbuilding (
    ). Thanks for clearing more stuffs up.

For anyone wanting to split "Detail Map" and "Mask Map", I used a python script and I have made a Github repository here - https://github.com/amrittb/hdrp-maps-splitter (I used SRP docs as reference to create this script).

hungrybelome and Clyde_Coulter like this.
  50. Howzer

Howzer

When Importing an fbx, materials are coming out pink using the standard specular shader. Is there a fix for this?