Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Book of the Dead: Environment

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by torbjorn, Jun 20, 2018.

1. RohitWasTaken

RohitWasTaken

any alternative for HDRP for android and iOS

2. Mauri

Mauri

Standard built-in pipeline ("3D" in Project selector, a.k.a the standard rendering pipeline before Unity 2018)?

3. RohitWasTaken

RohitWasTaken

I am not able to see any object in scene, for more details I have attached the screenshot for the same can anyone help me out ?

Attached Files:

4. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

Select any object in the hierarchy view and press ‘f’.

5. AtomicPerception

AtomicPerception

There does not appear to be anyway to download this.

6. Mauri

Mauri

7. RohitWasTaken

RohitWasTaken

I just forgot :confused:, thanks for your help:)

8. Jaden_m

Jaden_m

Anyone know what the performance is like on a regular on base ps4s or Xbox ones?

9. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

30 fps.

10. Jaden_m

Jaden_m

Really? I thought that was the Pro and One X specifically.

11. TwiiK

TwiiK

Probably different quality presets.

Jaden_m likes this.
  12. TwiiK

TwiiK

I've imported this asset probably about a dozen times into fresh projects now as I'm trying stuff out and constantly break stuff, but I've noticed that probably half the time something related to the breathing sound effects don't import properly. I get these errors:

And reimporting doesn't fix it. The project is just forever broken it seems.

Anyone have any idea why those particular sound effects / functionality is the only thing that often doesn't import properly? When I look in the project folder the audio clips don't show up as audio clips, but rather just generic assets that I can't do anything with, but they show up as normal .wav files in the file explorer in Windows and play just fine.

Also, there's almost 1700 sound effects in this project. Are they all in use? Seems extremely excessive for such a tiny project. Can you even tell that they are there? Why did you decide on having so many variations per sound?

And what is the AxelF thing? I'm honestly not able to find anything other than that annoying song when I google it. :p

Edit: The breathing sounds ONLY break when the project is stored in my Dropbox. What gives? I've stored all my Unity projects in Dropbox forever and it's never caused me any issues before. I only store temporary projects etc. outside Dropbox which is why this project has been both outside and inside my Dropbox. And my Dropbox syncing is currently paused so it should just act exactly as any other folder?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  13. chanfort

chanfort

This looks interesting. I guess there could be some duplicate files (i.e. audio and textures). Not sure in this project, but in fontainebleau project I noticed that some sounds are very similar (or even identical) to others. Not sure if it's not the same in this project. If that's true, running some duplicate file finder algorithm could find if these are duplicates or unique sound effects. If there are a lot of duplicates, it might be possible to significantly reduce the project size. But it could be a lot of work to reset links for scripts and materials. Also .wav files are quite large. I usually use .ogg to store sounds. But this may reduce sound quality.

14. neoshaman

neoshaman

Is there a cheat sheet for the CG terms? I'm looking at the shsader and I forgot some term like pdf...

I remember what Ndf is (normal(specular) distribution function), DFG (distribution,fresnel, geometry, that is microfacet theory) but I have trouble with some other which are not easy to google back the reference (like pdf lol)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  15. ceebeee

ceebeee

you're streaming the project from your dropbox while in the editor? :S

16. aliashubert

aliashubert

Uhm, What do you mean? I think, the GPU does affect the frame rate with higher percentage.

17. afterwise_

afterwise_

Unity Technologies

The vast majority of sounds are for the player character, which is arguably a reasonable way of setting up an immersive first-player environment. About a third are for the character itself, almost two thirds are for the character interacting with the environment, and some 10% are ambiences and effects for the environment including musical pieces.

The character sounds have quite a number of variations per type to avoid repetitiveness since those sounds are played literally all the time. The intention was also to make an environment that invited to exploration, which meant spending a lot of time walking around and looking at things.

The assets are all saved as .wav because that way they compress a lot better inside the .unitypackage, as opposed to most compressed formats. When building a standalone player they are all compressed using different compressors depending on sound characteristics (e.g. frequency range) and heuristics (e.g. played often/rarely, looping).

AxelF is the nom de guerre of a piece of custom glue code (written specifically for this project) used to implement things like audio source pooling, sound sequencing/variations/enveloping/randomization/occlusion as well as a few other things like zone triggers and zone inclusion/exclusion which are useful when implementing a dynamic, explorable environment. Only the player foley is scripted in this demo, all ambiences and effects are a direct effect of the player's position.

To the best of my knowledge, Unity does no special processing because a folder is a Dropbox folder, but beware that long file paths is a known issue (see the very first post in this thread), and moving the project higher up in the file hierarchy before importing the demo package may help.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    chanfort likes this.
  18. RohitWasTaken

RohitWasTaken

I got an error :
    Platform Windows 10 (10.0.0) 64bit with device Direct3D11 is not supported, no rendering will occur
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

and my machine has DirectX12

kaliAJ likes this.
  19. TwiiK

TwiiK

Thanks for the detailed reply.

I didn't really object to the high number of sound effects in any way other than I assumed that a lot of work had to have gone into making them, unless there are some clever tools or methods for doing so, and I also assumed that it would be hard to tell the difference with only a fraction of the sound effects and therefore I personally would never have added so many. Especially considering I've played through the project without breathing sounds multiple times now before realizing they weren't there. :p

Cool, thanks. I'm currently getting familiar with the different systems in the project.

This made too much sense when you said it because I had to enable long path name support in git to be able to get it to work with this project. Moving the project closer to my Dropbox root fixed the import issue, but I have a fairly well structured folder structure for my projects so this is far from ideal.

But seeing as git has a fix for it surely it's up to Unity to fix this issue even if it's a Windows issue?

I found this guide for enabling long path name support for Windows 10 (https://www.howtogeek.com/266621/how-to-make-windows-10-accept-file-paths-over-260-characters/), but it changed nothing about the import errors in Unity sadly. Only moving the project fixed them.

20. TwiiK

TwiiK

No. :p Dropbox acts just as a local folder on your local machine.

I just keep everything I care about in Dropbox so that I have it backed up. For Unity projects I could use something like github, but I don't want my entire project in git because it doubles or triples the amount of space the project takes up and as a solo hobbyist I feel like I don't need full version control for my projects anyway. Instead I just include the text based files like code files, shaders, .asset-files, project settings etc. in git, and the rest of the project Dropbox handles the redundancy for, which still gives me the ability to see and revert changes to prefabs, scenes, code files etc. while keeping the git footprint very small.

ceebeee likes this.
  21. Nuredini

Nuredini

Well my PC it says u have directX version 12, I dont know what is causing this problem

Attached Files:

22. Nuredini

Nuredini

Same error same DirectX

kaliAJ likes this.
  23. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

Please upload log files from the editor. https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LogFiles.html

24. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

These kinds of internal lighting details are arguably a teensy bit off topic for this package, but this is a decent starting reference: https://seblagarde.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/course_notes_moving_frostbite_to_pbr_v32.pdf

neoshaman likes this.
  25. neoshaman

neoshaman

Okay thanks, but this don't explain the term like pdf, the first mention is at line 63 and we assume we know or remember (it mean probability density function).

Since I want to try make it run on the 705, I need to see what I can keep, cut, approximate and simplified, I guess not a lot will be left from this complex shader, but that's a good exercise anyway, the lwrp would fit this gpu better. I'm desecrating the hdrp lol

The occlusion probe aren't documented yet? I have seen in the previous doc that they were at least mention in the script reference. I'm trying to know more about them, that's one thing that can be used for low specs. Can we bake them already or there is only hooks in the engine "made from this demo" (that is all experimentation done that lead to it)?

26. Kolyasisan

Kolyasisan

I really dig the Occlusion Probes. They give such a marvelous look to the scene with a really good performance.
    IMO Unity desperately needed something like that: a lightweight, fast global sky occlusion so the scene would not rely too heavily on GI or lightmaps. Fascinating. And the fact that it will come *someday* to an official HDRP release is awesome. IMO the project needs some Texture Streaming though.

Kudos to you, demo team! Really impressive stuff.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  27. Liminal-Ridges

Liminal-Ridges

What is occlusion probes and when does it come out?

28. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

And Occlusion propes for lightweight render pipeline would be cool too

29. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

texture streaming, sounds like it would help, when navigating the scene on my macbook pro 2016 with 16 gb ram and an amd 460 there are some frame drops when zooming in and out of the scene, could be the large textures that are loaded

30. TwiiK

TwiiK

Would texture streaming actually do anything here? The entire project is only about 2GB, and I assume the compressed textures are quite a bit less than that. Surely it's all loaded at the start and there's no need to dynamically load any textures at runtime?

Not that I know anything about texture streaming, I would just assume it was meant for projects where you have more texture data than you have available ram?

31. kpallist

kpallist

Yes.
    ". . .is governed by the non-restrictive asset Unity Asset Store End User License Agreement; this includes the excellent content graciously provided by Quixel."

nasos_333 likes this.
  32. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Well there's patience, because it will eventually work. It's just WIP.

33. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

Anyone could enable texture streaming in the project if they like. But as @TwiiK points out: the project is built to easily fit in memory of consoles, and it does, so there's not much point in enabling texture streaming here. It's also not really a level design intended for streaming as many of the assets are used in many parts of the scene - making it hard to unload them or their top mipmap levels

For people that see hiccups in the editor, keep in mind that the editor compiles shader variants on the fly, so until you've visited all parts of the scene once, there will be shader compile hiccups the first time a new shader variant is encountered.

Lars-Steenhoff, elbows and hippocoder like this.
  34. Hazneliel

Hazneliel

I was told to provide more info here after posting my review on the asset store, my review was:

Cant work in the editor since it lags very bad, when running the scene it is around 20FPS in a 1080TI
    Scenes with this quality should be able to run at 60fps on a 1080TI, I dont know why this scene is not optimized and may be wasting a lot of GPU

Additional Information:
    WIndows 10
    Unity 2018.2.0b9
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz
    (RAM) 32,0 GB
    Running at 4K resolution

Let me know how else can I help.

Regards

35. TwiiK

TwiiK

I think you're expecting too much. I'm running an overclocked 1080 Ti and an overclocked 8700K with very fast ram and in 1440p (2560x1269 when maximized in the editor) I'm getting 40-70fps depending on where I am looking in the scene according to the stats window in the editor. I feel like this is acceptable for such a scene, and with much higher resolution and a slower system I would expect the fps to be much lower.

And I don't think you have a reference point for this scene in terms of optimization as I feel it is of unparalleled quality.

Also make sure you're not viewing the scene view and the game view at the same time in the editor as that is a framerate killer.

36. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

Thanks for checking in @Hazneliel . I think your assertion of running solid 60 FPS @ 4K in the authoring tool is a bit of a stretch, but you should definitely be getting a lot closer than you are.

First things first: the Unity editor compiles shaders on the fly. this makes new projects much faster to open, but has the unfortunate side effect that the editor regularly stalls on shader compilation until you've flown around and seen all content once. Are you certain this is not the cause of your stalls? Is it still stalling after you've visited the same location twice?

Also, how are you checking performance? Are you using a custom script or external tool? The builtin profiler? @TwiiK mentioned the stats window in Unity - unfortunately this is not a very reliable way to measure frame times that include GPU time.

Are you running scene view / game view both visible at the same time? As @TwiiK already pointed out, that will at least halve your performance since they both update in real-time.

Are you running Quality setting "Desktop Unlocked"?

If you really want to do a proper performance test, you should launch a standalone player, though. You can do that by going "Tools->Build Player->Win64 NonDev Player (run)"

37. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Perhaps a button compile shader variants? in the editor somewhere. this way a user can precompile all shader variants at will.

cfree likes this.
  38. zaselim

zaselim

Hello, How can i update to 2018.2 version? mine is 2018.1.6f1 and it says up to date in the update section.

39. TwiiK

TwiiK

@Hazneliel I tried building the project and the build never ran below 80 fps for me, mostly staying around 90, occasionally going up to 100-110.

This was at 2560x1440 using the Desktop Unlocked preset. Could you try the same? Just to get an exact comparison.

I measured using MSI Afterburner, but I'm sure other tools will give comparable results.

That was impressive to me. I didn't know there was such a difference between the editor and an actual build, and I don't think I get that much higher fps with everything enabled in a game like The Witcher 3 for example. I know this scene is tiny by comparison, but it looks a whole lot better as well, and it barely stresses the CPU so you still have a lot to go on for things like AI, game code etc.

I tried with 4k in the editor as well just to compare with my previous result and I got around 30-40 fps then.

40. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

41. SowBiT

SowBiT

I'm moved to C:/ but still get this error!

42. ceebeee

ceebeee

I get a steady 30fps on a GTX 970. I am pretty sure a 1080 should do better than 20. You yourself say you're getting 40-70 with a 1080, so why do you think he's 'expecting too much' to get more than 20 on his 1080?

43. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

44. XRA

XRA

I'm curious why the demo lacks shadows when running on PS4 neo, is it a known issue or something I need to do on my end within Unity? The player/quality settings look to be set correctly for PS4 already in the project.

Viewing the debug rendering (press both thumbsticks) shows the shadow map textures being empty/black as far as I can tell, and toggling shadows on and off doesn't have an effect. It looks similar to if running in Editor the main directional light had shadows toggled off.

Looks and runs great on PC (tested with 980), would like to have it running with shadows on PS4 :)

45. TwiiK

TwiiK

Are you playing in 4K? 4K vs 1440p that I tested with is over 2 times more pixels to render. Like I said I fell down to 35-ish fps when I tried 4K in the editor, ie. almost half, and I'm not sure if simulating 4K in the editor is the same as running native 4K. On top of that my CPU is a lot faster than his. Also, he just gave a single number so I don't know if it was close to 30 or actually 20 or if that was his minimum or his average, but either way it didn't sound horribly low for 4K in my opinion. Anyway, if he builds the project and tests it in 1440p we can compare results with less variables.

46. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

It should definitely have shadows when running on PS4 Neo (and any other supported platform for that matter). And you shouldn't have to do anything except build and run. That being said, I have a theory about what's going on.. let me get back to you on this one.

47. SowBiT

SowBiT

Attached Files:

48. cfree

cfree

@SebLagarde commented on another thread that shader variants compilation is getting improvements on 2018.2 in HD Pipeline... can anyone give more details on that? It is already on the beta version?
    Just for an example, in UE we have a shader compilation loading bar when we enter the editor in "intensive-shader" projects... maybe something like that is better than a lagging editor... this could be set in a property or button, like our friend suggested.

49. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

So your editor log says:

Extracting archive: C:\Users\Sowbit\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store-5.x\Unity Technologies\Unity EssentialsSample Projects\Book Of The Dead Environment.unitypackage
    --
    Path = C:\Users\Sowbit\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store-5.x\Unity Technologies\Unity EssentialsSample Projects\Book Of The Dead Environment.unitypackage
    Type = gzip
    Headers Size = 342
    ERROR: CRC Failed : Book Of The Dead Environment

Which suggests that the package download is incomplete or somehow corrupted. The only suggestion I have for fixing this is deleting it and fetching it again from the Asset Store.

50. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

I had a terrible experience on my 3570k (OC) + GTX970 combo in the editor too, had constant framedrops so it feels like 5 fps all the time and it makes the whole project totally unusable in the editor (I couldn't edit the scene this way).

But, I found a "cure" for this. In my case, frames dropped because I'm used to having game window always open on another monitor. This results in scene rendered twice effectively which has never been an issue on regular scenes. On Book Of The Dead it's really pushing it tho so it was totally unusable that way. Once I put the game tab in the same space with scene view (like it's by default), I can only render one of these at once and it was usable again.

That being said, I really wish there were a better way, like have option on game view to pause the rendering while not running the game etc (if there's such, please tell) as I'd love to still keep the game view on another monitor. Only workaround I've found for this is by setting game view to render different display when not in use (or by hiding the game view by default by putting it into the same tab group with scene view like mentioned).