Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.

Official Book of the Dead: Environment

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by torbjorn, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Rowlan

Rowlan

Thanks, will do.

I just added a Malbers Wolf with Fluffy Grooming Tool and Dust and Butterflies that comes with the HDRP Demo scene:

wolf fluffy 01.jpg
    I really wish Unity would update Book of the Dead to work with latest Unity versions. It's such a nice demo showcase

bk92, ftejada, TerraUnity and 2 others like this.
  2. newguy123

newguy123

Yes it's sad. Most of their demo's is so heavily customised, that no normal person can achieve same results with native, defaults. Not everybody has a team of devs behind them that can work on things for months. Some of us are artists only and need results with a max timeframe of 2 weeks for final delivery (non game related)

3. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

@ftejada Nice to know all these. I was always wondering why Unity doesn't come with Post Processing presets to cover generalized lighting scenarios or even better to come with a day/night cycle post processing preset that can be handled via runtime scripts! Even with Standard pipeline with 1/10th of the graphics features compared to HDRP, it took my team a few years to achieve a decent graphics with all effects combined and day/night cycle setup was a nightmare to cover all day times.

@Rowlan Have you seen this? https://blog.unity.com/games/the-la...2021-12-15_unity-terrain-sample-pack-20211215

But I guess it only supports wind for grass and plants and not trees!

ftejada likes this.
  4. Rowlan

Rowlan

5. impheris

impheris

For what you are saying it seems like there would not be a decent solution in 2022 either, at least not without advance and custom code and stuffs (like always)

6. koirat

koirat

We do have relatively decent real time lighting, what we do not have is a decent real time global illumination.

7. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

This was our take on dynamic lighting and day/night cycle using BOTD assets back in 2019:

Still waiting for a production ready and optimized real-time GI solution though!

newguy123 and Rowlan like this.
  8. Rowlan

Rowlan

I made a walkthrough video. I really hope Unity reconsiders and re-adds this awesome asset to the store.

@kripto289 it would be awesome if you could provide your wind shader for this asset for everyone, it's really good :)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
    As_day likes this.
  9. impheris

impheris

Sorry for this question.
    Is there any way to try the original demo as a standalone app?
    (and maybe other demos too)

10. impheris

impheris

Hi, can you please upload to a different host? Mega is trash and it always giving my the "Bandwidth transfer quota exceeded" at 1.5gb (yes have an account) then after waiting 5hs to download the other 1gb left, mega just downloaded 50gmb and then "quota exeeded" again. Can you please upload the LTS version to a usable efficient no-trash-service xD

11. Excalibur_1st

Excalibur_1st

@Rowlan your conversion looks nice! Will this work under Unity 2021.2 (most stable so far)? If so is it available for download somewhere?

12. Rowlan

Rowlan

It works, but I have no info about it being downloadable.

13. Excalibur_1st

Excalibur_1st

@Rowlan thank you for your quick response. I would like to do the same as you did and get it to work under the new HDRP, tried so many times with so many errors. If you cannot share the fixed version could you please at least guide me to what I should consider here?

14. Rowlan

Rowlan

What's your problem exactly?

15. Excalibur_1st

Excalibur_1st

I tried so many ways to fix the errors when I imported the 2018 version to the 2021 but there are so many errors.

16. Rowlan

Rowlan

Start with the first one. The rest are usually just follow-ups. But without knowing what your error is, there's no telling what's wrong.

17. Rowlan

Rowlan

I tried Book of the Dead as FPS:

As_day likes this.
  18. koirat

koirat

What are you using for ambient light ?

19. Rowlan

Rowlan

What do you mean? It's just what comes with Unity.

20. koirat

koirat

In HDRP you got Visual Environment override in Volume.
    There are few types of sky and ambient mode to chose.

Personally I'm using Physically Based Sky and Ambient mode Dynamic.

21. Rowlan

Rowlan

Yeah, me too. But it didn't look good initially, only after I added Screen Space Global Illumniation it didn't look like Unity 5. I didn't toy around with it much though, I was more focused on the gameplay so far.

22. Excalibur_1st

Excalibur_1st

@Rowlan did you use the old camera or post process settings, or was it all made new under the new HDRP settings? Because these old settings mostly are deprecated, right?

23. Rowlan

Rowlan

All new

24. Darkgaze

Darkgaze

Is there still any way to get the original project? Was it ever available or only the build?

25. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

You can try contacting support about it.
    But if it was never added to your library to begin with, the license to use it isn't available anymore ( that's basically the part that's been made unavailable).
    If you have an organisation, you can enquire about having the seat reallocated to you.

Users who have the package can still download as they please but due to EULA aren't able to redistribute it legally outside of their organisation.

Some asset store publishers have repurposed some of the assets like trees and vegetation into their asset packages too, like Infinity PBR.

it might depend on how you wish to use the asset on how much you may be able to be made available to you now that it's no longer available to download directly from the license holder.

26. Darkgaze

Darkgaze

I just want to read (not use) the code mentioned in the blog posts for a tool / script used in the creation of this scene. Something called UberTreeSpawner. If any of you have the project, please let me know if you can help me! I just need that specific tool or set of tools. They solved the exact same problem that I'm trying to solve. This is exactly the phrase in the blog post: “This script is used by objects called ‘UberTreeSpawner’ in the scene, and you are free to use it as you wish.".

HIBIKI_entertainment likes this.
  27. impheris

impheris

DM me... :)

28. Darkgaze

Darkgaze

I got everything I need now. Thanks a lot!

29. Rowlan

Rowlan

@Malbers allowed me to check out his upcoming asset. Since I put other assets already in Book of the Dead I had to try this one as well :)

drake 03.jpg
    drake 06.jpg
    drake 04.jpg
    drake 11.jpg
    (tried using Fluffy Grooming Tool with it)
    drake 07.jpg

Malbers and TerraUnity like this.
  30. impheris

impheris

it looks cool

31. impheris

impheris

I have a link with the original (unmodified) asset if anybody needs it

32. hotkeysss

hotkeysss

Hello Rowlan! This looks awesome!

I am using the same kit, and I am trying to upgrade the unity version higher than the original 2018 one. I already have a fresh install on Unity 2018.2.0f2, and everything works fine.

When I try to upgrade the existing project to 2020.3.7f1, I get 443 compiler errors and everything is purple.

Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

33. Rowlan

Rowlan

The only way I can help you is this: Try to give people proper information. Nobody can possibly guess which 443 errors you have there.

34. hotkeysss

hotkeysss

Alright, sure thing!

Most of these errors seem to be coming from "_LocalPackages". Most of the errors seems to be some sort of shader errors or something along the lines of that.

Did you encounter any of these issues while upgrading the project?

35. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Book of the dead is only functional with the version of the unity editor it shipped with.

36. Rowlan

Rowlan

Unless you post the exact error everything you post is a complete waste of everyones time.

37. Rowlan

Rowlan

I upconverted it to 2022.1.0b3 when that version got released. Required only a few changes. However the thing that's important and missing is the Wind. Kripto fixed that and put a demo of BotD in his HDRP water asset. Still hoping he would share his shader settings in public here than just just with his (awesome) paid asset.

@kripto289 :)

An upconversion is definitely possible. Why Unity doesn't do it, is beyond me. But maybe because Quixel is involved.

ftejada, valarus and keeponshading like this.
  38. DEEnvironment

DEEnvironment

some of the trees and plants are reused in the new Unity terrain examples

39. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

They were going to do it but priorities moved on. Pretty much no dev at Unity has the time for it. And the value of BotD as a resource has diminished a lot (there's no real good practises there vs what should be done with DOTS etc).

newguy123 and Rowlan like this.
  40. hotkeysss

hotkeysss

I'm curious, what did you change to get it to work?

41. kripto289

kripto289

Hi,
    Here is my wind shaders.
    http://kripto289.com/Shared/Water/HDRP_BookfOfTheDead_WindLitShaders.unitypackage

Wilhye, Rowlan and keeponshading like this.
  42. Rowlan

Rowlan

Seriously, why on earth did Unity remove this asset. It's no problem to use it in 2022.2.1 or 2022.2.2. And it's soooo gorgeous. I'm actually currently having fun with it and the upcoming Malbers Werewolf:

img2.jpg
    img3.jpg
    img1.jpg
    BotD has become my go-to asset to toy around in extremely good looking environment.

Alverik, JBR-games, ftejada and 2 others like this.
  43. TwiiK

TwiiK

It's what they do :p I'm pretty sure they've removed most of the actually good projects they've made through the years, but they keep the simple/bad ones for some reason.

Unity Labs is my favorite project that they've made: https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-labs-available-for-download.315877/

For that project they even promised/teased that they would re-release an improved version of it, but that never happened, and now there's no version of it.

Luckily I downloaded it before they removed it: https://twiik.net/resources/unity-labs

Anyone could make a game today using the assets in that project and if the gameplay was good I don't think people would think twice about the visuals.

Last time I played with that project it took me just a few minutes to upgrade it from Unity 5 to Unity 2018 and get it working perfectly.

They also have this project: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/essentials/tutorial-projects/tanks-tutorial-46209

But they made an expanded version of that project at one point which was the closest Unity has ever been to making a full game. It had multiple levels, multiple tanks, upgrades, online multiplayer, achievements, a fully working menu, offline training levels, an in-game unlock/currency system and more. Just gone.

There's also the Stealth tutorial project which I think is gone now. It had great modular assets for creating top down type games, and was very fun to play around with.

I made my own version of that project, which in turn saved the assets as well: https://twiik.net/resources/stealth-tutorial

My tip for anyone working with Unity is just to immediately download everything Unity releases on the Asset Store, if you do that you have it for life. If you don't then it's gone whenever Unity deprecates it.

And if it's not hosted on the Asset Store then I suggest saving a copy somewhere.

I get that they don't want to support old stuff, but it's ridiculous that they don't see the value in the assets for attracting/keeping Unity developers. Just turn the projects into asset packs if nothing else. For example BotD used a very experimental version of the HDRP with a lot of custom features. Ideally I would have seen them convert it to use the built-in HDRP out of the box to showcase what's actually possible, but at the very least they could just remake the project into an asset pack.

But I guess they showed us their intentions for stuff like this when they fired the entire team working on projects like this as well as cancelling their most promising project.

44. impheris

impheris

i have that project too but i can not make it run on newer version of unity, i know there is some guy porting it but i'm not exactly interested, btw that is from 2018 and it was graphically better than anything official from unreal (at that time) but sadly almost no one was talking about that demo, not as today people talking about lumen and nanite, maybe because it was too complicated to use it in other cases or projects and maybe that is why that project was abandoned

45. koirat

koirat

It looked very good mostly because of the very good assets.

46. JBR-games

JBR-games

this is almost a comical question... if the fact they removed it wasnt sad....

Alverik likes this.