Search Unity

Official Book of the Dead: Environment

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by torbjorn, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Vict0r3znov

Vict0r3znov

So in another word, i have to leave the assets published by unity and download one of the converted versions ? wow thats cool HAHA

2. newguy123

newguy123

I'm a bit late to the party it seems. So forgetting the actual BOTD demo and the drama of needing 2018 to run it, is it possible to just grab the plant assets and reuse them in other HDRP 10.x projects with Unity 2020.2?

3. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

You can use most of the assets but you'll miss things like bark peel shader and foliage wind.

newguy123 likes this.
  4. newguy123

newguy123

I'm not too phased about the wind, I just need good looking still plants for offline Unity recorder rendering with raytracing...

Can I simply copy the prefabs or fbx files, together with the shaders and textures, or is it a bit more involved than that?

5. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

I'd just export the scene with all the assets in rows as unitypackage and let it handle the dependencies, you can omit false positives from the dependencies at that stage if you know they are incorrect (like scripts etc that are not needed). Then just import this unitypackage to newer Unity project.

newguy123 likes this.
  6. newguy123

newguy123

Sounds interesting. I've never exported a scene or exported it into a Unity package, is that simple enough?

Could you give me a simple 1,2,3 step process to achive that please?

7. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

- Find the scene with all assets in showcase manner next to each other
    - Select that scene in project explorer
    - Right click it and select "export package"
    - Make sure you have dependency checkbox ticked and manually filter out stuff you don't want
    - Save to whatever location
    - Open newer Unity version project with newer HDRP
    - Drag the saved unitypackage over it
    - Restart the project and if HDRP wants to upgrade the materials automatically, let it do so

8. newguy123

newguy123

Great, thanks for those instructions, sounds simple enough!

Now if they can only find a way to reference external files, then maybe we can start creating asset libraries and use those. If anything needs updating, you update the asset and automatically it is updated across all your projects! But I geuss with the nature of realtime projects, that will never happen :-(

9. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

The rendering looks good, but my god, the wind is causing the foliage to twitch in an unnatural way. Why not just do a gentle breeze that would be able to pull off a natural look? I would have just turned the wind off versus demoing that.

10. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

Depending on your
    I believe this demo specifically was also showcasing it working on URP and web GL, so there will be differences and limitations Vs HDRP etc.

Generally the motion you can attain in TVE could certainly rival something like Koola's storm tests.

AlanMattano likes this.
  11. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

HDRP does not yet support stereo rendering?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  12. nasos_333

nasos_333

Indeed, was always like that, use for demo purposes is the key

13. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

This was 3 years ago. It does now.

sdevane and JamesArndt like this.
  14. Excalibur_1st

Excalibur_1st

Some of you show the dragon in their run but I cant find it anywhere in the run, any help?

15. IsenBauer

IsenBauer

That doesn't work for me, I'm getting the same problem.

16. tarajput1

tarajput1

Has the environment been updated to work for 2019+ yet? Because i use 2019.4 and it doesn't work, i can import it but there aren't any textures and most of the scripts are said to be missing but they are there and over 100 errors, i don't know what to do :(

17. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi, Can you please tell how to use the project in 2019 and hdrp please

18. Mauri

Mauri

It's not compatible with 2019.

19. seok-in-yoon

seok-in-yoon

It set the Book of the Dead, which was used in 2018, to the 2020.2.6F1 HDRP version.Wind Shader brought wind shader that is used in Fontainebleau Demo and applied it after modifying only some parts that have errors.It plays well without errors.

BOTD_01.jpg BOTD_01.jpg

PretentiousWillow and cpkcpk like this.
  20. cpkcpk

cpkcpk

Awesome, would you consider sharing the 2020.2 project?

PretentiousWillow likes this.
  21. PretentiousWillow

PretentiousWillow

Beautiful, I’ve been searching for a workaround to use the assets with wind in my project but still can’t find anything... if you can share your work I would appreciate it very much!

newguy123 likes this.
  22. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

Our recommendation:
    The Vegetation Engine

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/utilities/the-vegetation-engine-159647?aid=1100l355n&gclid=CjwKCAjw47eFBhA9EiwAy8kzNFKDcWCteMBcoBAEzWT0C1dr9mDz_4IsHLMjpt3Y0Mbx4jmgvAE4DRoCUCkQAvD_BwE&pubref=UnityAssets*Dyn01*1723478829*67594162255*336254844477*g***b*c*gclid=CjwKCAjw47eFBhA9EiwAy8kzNFKDcWCteMBcoBAEzWT0C1dr9mDz_4IsHLMjpt3Y0Mbx4jmgvAE4DRoCUCkQAvD_BwE&utm_source=aff

23. seok-in-yoon

seok-in-yoon

24. seok-in-yoon

seok-in-yoon

25. migero

migero

so how can i get this project files if its no longer in asset store ?

26. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

This is a normal process for the tech demos and many assets to be honest.

You can only get a depreciated projects from the store you had already added to you account previously, you'll find it in your library.

If you're studying though
    I recommend grabbing some of the newer assets like:
    the Heretic,
    Sample cinematic studio,
    Lego mini game.

Just make sure you're targeting the right assets for the right pipeline.

There will likely also be more to look forward to from the unity tech team, like the book of the dead and the heretic from 2021 onwards

27. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

28. Argentlum

Argentlum

29. Medici-edu

Medici-edu

30. newguy123

newguy123

Arrrrgggg I missed the download of the BOTD assets and now they're no longer available!
    Anywhere else I can get it from legally?

31. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It's best Unity staff answer this one @LeonhardP :)

32. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

These often come and go. Meaning that if you ever suspect needing anything Unity puts in asset store for free, better always just add it to your account regardless if you need it at given time. You can also hide extra assets from showing up in package manager by using "hide asset" in https://assetstore.unity.com/account/assets if the asset bloat is a concern.

Rowlan likes this.
  33. newguy123

newguy123

Yep, lesson learnt. I've now added a bunch of things that I was thinking of adding, just in case they get removed!

Would still be nice to get the BOTD assets as I'm sure I can modify the assets and make use of it somewhere...
    :-(

34. r618

r618

looks like the asset store links are (being) removed from the demo landing page [https://unity.com/demos/book-dead] at least / the page was/is occasionally not available for me too /, so there will probably be less questions about its availability
    the bad news is it won't get any updates in the short term most likely

35. cpkcpk

cpkcpk

I hope this is allowed, but I recently found this version on Github upgraded to Unity 2018 LTS -

https://github.com/Delacrowa/book-of-the-dead-environment-hdrp

36. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

The conversion package I had made a bit ago is still available. It does not require the original BOTD package to work, though it is meant for the standard pipeline. It can work in URP / HDRP but would require conversion once installed, and the custom shaders would need to be updated to other shaders that work. URP/HDRP is "not supported" officially though.

SickaGames1 likes this.
  37. Rowlan

Rowlan

I hope you don't run into legal issues, but now that the asset is deprecated the point of view changed: you basically sell Unity's models with different skin.

38. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

Definitely no legal issue.

Only the licenses from the third party providers systems would technically have to be excluded there.

Model assets like the megascans would be fine, since the heavy customisation.

A little Rowlan magic is due on the store though for sure! :rolleyes:

DEEnvironment likes this.
  39. Mauri

Mauri

40. DEEnvironment

DEEnvironment

if your going to port this and need some shaders feel free to reach out to me on discord
    ;)

HIBIKI_entertainment likes this.
  41. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

^ man knows his stuff for sure.:)

42. bk92

bk92

43. Rowlan

Rowlan

I found the unitypackage of Book of the Dead in my Asset Store cache and thought i'd try if I could get it to work in Unity 2022:

irval.jpg
    botd 01.jpg
    botd 02.jpg
    botd 04.jpg
    Not there yet. I kinda miss atmospheric scattering and a few other things. But all in all imo Unity should port it. But then again I noticed the Quixel folder. And I guess that's why we won't see a port.

TerraUnity, ftejada and valarnur like this.
  44. koirat

koirat

Is this baked lighting ?

You probably also miss occlusion probes and some other things.

45. Rowlan

Rowlan

No, realtime. I still struggle with a few things. eg why my scene is lit while the directional light is set to night. Turned out i had to restart Unity. Well, it's what you get for using the latest beta. But the results are impressive nontheless :D

ftejada likes this.
  46. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

@Rowlan Nice shots as always, Quixel folder was there from the beginning and I guess they are already allowed to use them before Epic's acquisition and afterwards! Anyways, did you have a chance to use SSGI in latest HDRP for this scene? I don't see much about it if it can compete with non screen space solutions!

47. Rowlan

Rowlan

Those are with SSGI. But I still have some problems with the setup. Without SSGI the scene looks like Unity 5 without Post Processing, which shouldn't be the case. Gotta find the time to fiddle around some more.

ftejada, newguy123 and TerraUnity like this.
  48. ftejada

ftejada

I have been struggling for months with SSGI in HDRP and say that right now in the latest beta versions of Unity 2022.1.b3 with HDRP 13.x it is still causing many visual artifacts and other problems and bugs.

Although sometimes it seems that it has gained in performance compared to the first HDRP versions, with the same project and the same scene, other times the performance inexplicably worsens a lot. Since Unity 2022 is still in beta, I hope they will iron out all these issues. I'm not too sure though because it's a problem I've been seeing for many previous versions of HDRP.

In my humble opinion HDRP 13.x in Unity 2022 beta is still not close to having an SSGI product with enough quality and free of bugs and errors to be used.

And I totally agree with @Rowlan that when you disable SSGI the scenes look like in Unity 5 without post-processing. Unless you do 10,000 settings in different post-process effects, so that together, they come a little closer to the visual fidelity that can be displayed with SSGI.
    The problem is that if you want dynamic day/night cycles, you will have to adapt those 10000 configurations at each moment of the day so that everything looks acceptable... because even so, there will be different parts of your models/materials/etc, that They won't look good and will break the visual realism of your scene.

And the problem is that the months and years go by and we still don't have a "Decent" real-time lighting solution in Unity...

Hopefully they get their batteries!!! Regards

TerraUnity and Rowlan like this.
  49. Rowlan

Rowlan

Does anyone know how to apply wind to this asset in 2022? Does wind even work in the 2022 HDRP version?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
  50. newguy123

newguy123

From what I remember they were saying that the original BOTD had custom shaders to make things work and everything was heavily customized. So if you ported it to anything newer than 2018, you're probably using regular HDRP shaders, which doesnt have any vertex shading in the defaults as far I understand. Try applying nature manufacture shaders or something like that and then apply a wind and see what you get?