Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Book of the Dead: Environment

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by torbjorn, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Alverik

Alverik

Yeah, it was the best vegetation I've seen in Unity (the wind specially, the forest really felt alive). Hope they make this kind of vegetation (and wind) possible at least in the new render pipelines.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  2. DJ_Design

DJ_Design

and I oop- looks like somethin spoopy is goin on gang! asset has been removed from public access

3. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

4. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Book of the Dead is deprecated, just checked it in my download list

io-games likes this.
  5. Migueljb

Migueljb

There probably just tired of people asking to fix it for updated unity 2019 OR there planning something amazing with it in latest hdrp but I wouldn't hold my breath about that since unity does there own thing. Be nice tho if they updated it and said you thought book of the dead was amazing in 2018 wait to see what it looks like with 2020 and ray tracing. Amaze us Unity please or invite users like myself that know what there doing with unity and do it for you with your tech!!

6. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

it's not just BOTD, they've also deprecated original Adam, Blacksmith, Corridor Lighting, Unity Labs and Viking Village assets.

7. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

hmmm. I had been working on new textures for Viking village.

8. torano

torano

I just realized Book of the Dead is no longer available as well as other demos.
    What is the reason behind this? Are they working on updates of these assets?

Awarisu likes this.
  9. Kos-Dvornik

Kos-Dvornik

Can someone please share the BOTD assets. I did't download load it before, so I can't download it as deprecated package and can't find it anywhere on the internet.

10. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

What you are asking is not allowed by the Asset Store terms. You can't redistribute anything that goes under asset store license even if it didn't cost anything.

11. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

12. Kos-Dvornik

Kos-Dvornik

13. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

We also used and converted all BOTD & some Fontainebleau assets to Standard Pipeline in our package HERE but was wondering why they have removed these great resources from the AssetStore! Any words from the admins?

14. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

I'm actually surprised that Unity doesn't prevent people from reselling these (as seen on above links) as it should be against their store terms :p

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    Alverik likes this.
  15. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

@rz_0lento Completely wrong, just written in the first post of this thread:

Plus we do have authority to include them in our packages, if not how it could be approved! Also the term "reselling" from you is absolutely improper and is not the intent of packages like ours where art assets are used for helping users creating their scenes.

For future reference, in a general law for all Unity created assets, you can use them freely in any free or commercial projects including games or store assets unless for the ones which have custom licensing as explained in the above FAQ item.

16. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

This is what I was asking about. Is there special permission somewhere that lets people reuse Unity's own assets as part of other assets? (meantioned FAQ isn't one and it didn't even say this type of use was allowed). In such case that would be fine but I'm just not aware of such clause (doesn't mean it doesn't exist).

Stock Asset Store terms do NOT allow reselling other assets content by default, there needs to be some exception/permission to do so. Otherwise I could just buy your pack and sell it for half the price for example.

Alverik and Rowlan like this.
  17. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

You may be shocked but people who approve these don't always check the if you as asset store publisher are allowed to distribute the content you are offering. That's totally on you to check. I could list countless examples from Asset Store even today where publishers sell items ripped from commercial games. I've even gotten refunds from some and Unity still keeps selling them, despite being aware they may not be legit.

Again, I'm not trying to accuse people from reselling Unity's content without permission, I don't know if you guys have special permission or if there's some special rule for Unity authored asset store content that you can include on your packs, hence asking :)

AcidArrow likes this.
  18. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

@rz_0lento Thanks for asking, no special permission here and we sell assets on AssetStore since 2011 with the same condition. Again reselling is something else which is against EULA and store rules and is out of question.

And yes some AssetStore staff are more restrictive even for a single 32 pixel texture from an external source in the package and some not which is obviously normal but the usage of Unity content is pretty straight forward and clean.

19. r618

r618

you can include UT authored assets in an asset as part of showcasing your asset functionality, but it shouldn't be without UT permission - which, undoubtedly, review process *should* clear up (it doesn't edit:always)
    esp. wrt to assets like this covered also by other than just original store EULA

20. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Reselling wouldn’t be allowed, but making drastic modifications such as converting to standard shader and/or redoing the textures is basically providing new content on top of the original and is allowed.

21. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Did some digging, found this from submission guidelines (https://unity3d.com/asset-store/sell-assets/submission-guidelines):
    This means that using these assets just for showcasing your assets functionality is totally ok. Reselling them as is - even when modified - isn't clearly the intended use of this term. So basically what @TerraUnity is doing is totally fine, but selling converted BOTD assets is sketchy.

nasos_333, Alverik and TerraUnity like this.
  22. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

@rz_0lento Thanks for bringing that up. Last year our other pack was deprecated and got down from AssetStore because of using some of the assets in Unity's Windridge City demo and it took 2 months to clear and become live again. So we've been through this before and if a package has been approved by mistake, it could be cleared sooner or later by the next update.

With all being said I still think that Unity guys are so nice in these occasions and are not very restrictive for such topics, this is an approved successful business model experienced by other Gaming/IT competitors.

23. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Unity took it down, lets be happy that people who did not download the asset in time can still get them.

24. Shackluryz

Shackluryz

How can I get only prefabs? I try, but isnt work. :(

25. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Lars-Steenhoff, Alverik and ftejada like this.
  26. dassoubarna

dassoubarna

Can anybody tell me how can record a video? I am using Unity 2018.3.1f. I install Unity Recorder from the Package Manager which throws a lot of errors and doesn't work. But Unity Recorder worked well in another HDRP project of mine.

27. Feartheway

Feartheway

any idea how to get it to work in 2019.3? i am getting lots of errors
    is there an ideal version to get it to work? 2018 lts?

GUID [3eae0364be2026648bf74846acb8a731] for asset 'Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.core/Editor/com.unity.render-pipelines.core.Editor.asmdef' conflicts with:

'Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.core/Editor/Unity.RenderPipelines.Core.Editor.asmdef' (current owner)

We can't assign a new GUID because the asset is in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

upload_2020-5-15_18-22-35.png

28. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

It was originally released for 2018.2b9

29. dassoubarna

dassoubarna

I download the Unity Recorder from Package Manager but it didn't work. Can anybody please help?

30. zak666

zak666

Hey guys just downloaded this for the Giggles to check it out looks amazing butting getting 450. Errors. mostly to do with Assets\_LocalPackages\botd.com.unity.shadergraph yesI installed the shadergraph from package manager. :)

31. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

And there you go. You can't do that. Open the project as is on 2018.2 and it'll work fine, don't even try to install any HDRP or SG packages manually, it already ships with custom packages.

32. zak666

zak666

Hey buddy Im using 2019 also tried 2020 :) and installed demographer after the errors thinking it might fix it XD

33. redspike474

redspike474

Any word if this will ever be updated to run on a newer version such as 2019?

ftejada likes this.
  34. GAMMeegasthanne

GAMMeegasthanne

How to fix unity scene black screen in HDRP (Unity 2018.2.0b9) Screenshot (101).png

35. Rowlan

Rowlan

Quote from earlier post: I was using it with 2018.2.15f1 without problems. Maybe try that one.

36. GAMMeegasthanne

GAMMeegasthanne

37. GAMMeegasthanne

GAMMeegasthanne

Rowlan can it run on uhd620 ,i5 8250. 8gb ddr3

38. GAMMeegasthanne

GAMMeegasthanne

i tried it but it not working Screenshot (94).png

39. valarnur

valarnur

Try to save project and open it again.

40. Rowlan

Rowlan

That's just an empty scene. Open the imported one. What does the console show?

41. GAMMeegasthanne

GAMMeegasthanne

It is not working please help me
    Screenshot (102).png

42. altepTest

altepTest

This is just a big waste time it boils my nerves.

The asset is broken and that would not be a problem if not because someone decided to promote on asset store page home page the Cover Shooter tutorial. (is still there) And unfortunately the author of that tutorial uses this asset (not his fault)

https://assetstore.unity.com/g/third-person-cover-shooter-tutorial This is the tutorial

Starting to follow the tutorial, wasted half a day trying to make this asset works. Then got to this thread which shows is basically impossible.

43. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

JBR-games likes this.
  44. H4ppyTurtle

H4ppyTurtle

Took me some time, but I got it to work on the regular HDRP with Unity 2019.4. Converting the shaders to regular HDRP Lit was not a huge problem. What took me the most time was converting the wind shader. The vertex animation now runs as a custom node of the file 'Forest_VtxAnim_Shared2.cginc' in a shader graph. I threw out most of the other custom built features like GrassOcclusion, DepthOfFieldAutoFocus or AtmosphericScattering. And the wind is not linked to the audio volume anymore, but this could still be added.

45. valarnur

valarnur

Could you update Book of the dead for new HDRP 10 in Unity 2020.2+?

tomisbaron, ftejada and io-games like this.
  46. yesica360

yesica360

Hi H4ppyTurtle. How did you this:
    I cant use Unity 2018 because my proyect is for VR and exists error with OpenXR in 2018 versions...
    Thanks!

47. H4ppyTurtle

H4ppyTurtle

I can send you the wind shaders. But I wouldn't expect much with VR. Stuff like trees was always a huge problem in VR. Would be really cool if it worked though. You have to convert the materials yourself, but that should only be a matter of reassigning textures.

48. BOXOPHOBIC

BOXOPHOBIC

Hello. First of all, I want to say thanks for this awesome demo! I recently repurposed some of the assets to create a small demo scene using my vegetation shaders:

I noticed that some of the foliage albedo textures use custom mipmaps and the result is great. Could you share with us how did you create them? Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    ftejada and JamesArndt like this.
  49. Dude_Loe

Dude_Loe

Detail shaders aren't supported in HDRP anymore, so how do I make grass and vegetation like in the book of the dead demo?

50. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

If you mean grass shader then it was never supported on HDRP. BotD placed grass as trees.