Search Unity

Official Book of the Dead: Environment

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by torbjorn, Jun 20, 2018.

1. nbac

nbac

foliage is one thing, and yes - at some point hdrp is supported but at the moment it is to much to work around for regular scenes. i would love to use it but it is a lot of troubleshooting

2. Flindt

Flindt

@torbjorn thanks for your thoughts and speculations.
    I believe i forgot that the light is also limited for shadows - to be only one direct light source that cast shadows. Do you know if this is a limitation that have been changed to be working with multiple light sources with shadows?

Then - im now doing some work on making new trees - so now my other question for you is if I should use the scripts from @Spy-Shifty here - https://forum.unity.com/threads/book-of-the-dead-wind-bake-pivot-in-to-the-mesh.538687/ - and do the correct vertex color etc. or if it makes better sense to wait for the "new" version of wind shader - if this will also include a new setup for vertex color wind setup? or will it reuse same setup of vertex colors? or maybe there are easier ways to create it.. ?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  3. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

They are not better or worse suited for HDRP - it's a project-specific decision to use them when suitable for the asset in question. The primary motivation for using OSNM is that they are perfectly stable across object LODs, since they don't depend on a tangent frame being warped between LODs which results in visual pops in lighting when LODs transition between levels.

Alverik likes this.
  4. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

It's definitely the plan to be able to match and surpass the visuals of BotD using out-of-the-box HDRP features, it just takes a bit of time to get the entire feature set up to state-of-the-art quality.

TerraUnity and Alverik like this.
  5. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

There is still a restriction of only a single directional shadow casting light ("the sun"). I don't think there are any plans to change this short-term. In some scenarios you can get around this with a mostly parallel spotlight, but if you need multiple cascaded shadow casters you're currently out of luck.

I wouldn't wait if the work by Spy-Shifty currently solves your problem. There are no guarantees about which data format and workflows any new system would employ.

6. Flindt

Flindt

Thanks for your reply Torbjorn. - The thing you say about "mostly parallel spotlight" - can you shed a bit more light on that approach? - is that possible to cast any shadows from that spotlight?

7. axvr

axvr

wendsyluvscatz likes this.
  8. JamesSimcock

JamesSimcock

I'm fairly new to Unity and trying to get to grips with it. I come from an architecture background and would love to integrate Unity into my workflow.

I recently downloaded the Book of the Dead Environment package. I couldn't get it to work in my current version of Unity, which is Unity 2018.3.11f1 (64-bit), and so downloaded the older version Unity 2018.2.0b9 (64-bit) which worked. I would really like to use some of the assets from the BOTD package such as the pine trees, but when I try to import a pine tree (or any model for that matter) into a new project, the model appears pink with the following message:

Shader error in 'HDRenderPipeline/LitTessellation': failed to open source file: 'CoreRP/ShaderLibrary/Common.hlsl' at line 371

This is the error message received when trying to import into a project created with Unity 2018.3.11f1. When I tried to import the exported package into a new project created with Unity 2018.2.0b9 it simply appeared invisible (I could select the object but the faces were not rendered). In both projects I had created a new High Definition Render Pipeline asset and assigned this as the pipeline to be used by Unity under the Graphics Project Settings.

I then thought it may be to do with the High Definition Render Pipeline asset, as I know the HDRP asset used by BOTD was slightly modified compared to a normal HDRP asset, and so exported this as a package to. However, when I imported this into my project along with the pine tree it looked even worse! I can't see anything, but when I select the pine tree all I see is an outline of a stomp with the following error message:

ArgumentException: Kernel 'KSampleCopy4_1_x_8' not found.

I don't really understand these error messages and I'm not quite sure how to solve the problem, is anyone able to help?

Many thanks

9. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

If you export the tree prefabs, fbxes, materials and textures, just importing them into a 18.3 clean HDRP project should work (for some definition of "work"). Make sure you don't bring any of the shaders over. After you've done that you probably want to go and reset all material keywords for those materials, to bring them up to speed with the more recent Lit family shader setup.

Note that some assets will look quite different, in particular the ones relying on procedural bark, which doesn't exist in the official Lit shaders. There will probably also be some seam artifacts on the tessellated LODs.

Alverik and JamesSimcock like this.
  10. wendsyluvscatz

wendsyluvscatz

I wish they could compile an executable demo even if sold for a marginal price on Steam or something for the stupid ones like me to just explore and take screenshots for postworked art.
    I have tried 3 versions of Unity and just get errors like
    Assets\_LocalPackages\botd.com.unity.shadergraph\Editor\Drawing\Controls\VectorControl.cs(145,58): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'MouseEventBase<>' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
    I only want to build a demo I can open and use shadowplay to grab backdrops for my 3D art, I managed to do that with the Viking Village demo a year ago but getting nowhere today with this, I cannot make games I just render art.

11. wendsyluvscatz

wendsyluvscatz

that's what I want to be able to do with this, capture Ansel 360 screenshots for My Carrara, iClone, Poser and DAZ IBL backgrounds, I am a hobbyist 3D artist not a game creator

12. wendsyluvscatz

wendsyluvscatz

13. Alverik

Alverik

How are you installing it? it works just fine in the latest 2018.2, BUT, you have to create a standard empty 3D project to use it. If you make an HDRP template it won't work, since the pack is using its own modified version of the HDRP and other packages.

14. wendsyluvscatz

wendsyluvscatz

I don't even know what a HDRP template is I am so dumb
    I just tried to create an empty project and then open it in that, as I said I am not really that bright at this sort of thing and not interested as such in learning to build games, I am just a software user for artistic reasons and use 3D softwares to model and render stuff, the build I grabbed off itch.io does what I wanted so will be fine, if someone made one with Ansel capture it would even be nicer, I was only interested in capturing rendered images,
    I can create beautiful scenes too in Carrara, Bryce, Blender, iClone etc not to "make games" just to render no coding needed.
    However this is just so easy to wander through a forest and take pictures and shadowplay video for compositing in Hitfilm with my renders, a forest in my computer, if anyone wanted to create virtual photography games I am sure there is a market among those who render 3D like me for their backgrounds and HDRI domes.

15. Alverik

Alverik

Any word on when the pack will work on 2019.1? I really want to use this but I want to use the new prefab system too, and many other new or updated stuff in 2019.1

16. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

The only word I can give is that someone(tm) is working on it.

17. axvr

axvr

18. RoughSpaghetti3211

RoughSpaghetti3211

Looking forward to running this in 2019.1 I’ve given up trying to get it to work on older versions.

Alverik likes this.
  19. Darascope

Darascope

Whenever I import, I always get the error:

ArgumentException: Kernel 'KMainTopRight' not found.
    UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.TexturePadding..ctor (UnityEngine.ComputeShader cs) (at Assets/_LocalPackages/botd.com.unity.render-pipelines.core/CoreRP/CoreResources/TexturePadding.cs:20)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.HDPipeline.HDRenderPipeline..ctor (UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.HDPipeline.HDRenderPipelineAsset asset) (at Assets/_LocalPackages/botd.com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition/HDRP/RenderPipeline/HDRenderPipeline.cs:232)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.HDPipeline.HDRenderPipelineAsset.InternalCreatePipeline () (at Assets/_LocalPackages/botd.com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition/HDRP/RenderPipeline/HDRenderPipelineAsset.cs:17)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.RenderPipelineAsset.CreatePipeline () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/RenderPipeline/RenderPipelineAsset.cs:19)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.RenderPipelineManager.PrepareRenderPipeline (IRenderPipelineAsset pipe) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/RenderPipeline/RenderPipelineManager.cs:55)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.RenderPipelineManager.DoRenderLoop_Internal (IRenderPipelineAsset pipe, UnityEngine.Camera[] cameras, IntPtr loopPtr) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/RenderPipeline/RenderPipelineManager.cs:28)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

how do I fix this?

Walter_Hulsebos likes this.
  20. RoughSpaghetti3211

RoughSpaghetti3211

I have the same issues , we might have to wait for 2019.1 support

21. janeDoe9173

janeDoe9173

I am currently using Unity version 2018.2.15f1. I opened the masterscene and was greeted with this error message that reads...

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Gameplay.GameController.FindGameController () (at Assets/Features/Gameplay/Code/GameController.cs:14)
    MultiSceneController+<Start>c__Iterator0.MoveNext () (at Assets/Code/MultiSceneController.cs:73)
    UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/Coroutines.cs:17)

can someone please tell me how to fix this so I can be amazed by this asset like so many others are :)

22. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

"Tools > Load Book of the Dead: Environment"

(also, recommend checking out the included readme file)

23. Davood_Kharmanzar

Davood_Kharmanzar

@torbjorn

i got these errors on "Lit.shader" on 2018.2.13f1 ...
    how can i fix that?

Capture.JPG

P.S: everything is working good on editor and on PC build ...

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  24. Flindt

Flindt

@torbjorn - Any news on the release of the new BotD Unity 2019 version? I believe you wrote us it would come in april?

MarkMik113 likes this.
  25. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

It is still being worked on, please have patience.

ftejada, MarkMik113 and optimise like this.
  26. Davood_Kharmanzar

Davood_Kharmanzar

27. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

It's already enabled. Have a look at the included "EnableSRPBatcher.cs" and "MiniProfiler.cs" files.

28. Davood_Kharmanzar

Davood_Kharmanzar

29. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

30. GaaraBTK

GaaraBTK

VertexAnimationShaderGraph.png @torbjorn I kinda "ported" the vertex animation code to ShaderGraph by writing a custom ShaderGraph Node which uses the functions from Forest_VtxAnim_Shared2.cginc .
    I also made few additions in the Lit.shader to use the HDRPCallback Attribute and copied the WindControl script to set the global shader variables.

The tree trunk is rendered, but not animated. The VertMesh.hlsl (HDRP local package Version in BotD) is using positionWS but in ShaderGraph the Code only uses Output.positionOS (HDRP v.4.10.0 with Unity 2018.3.8f).

So the question is, if it is possible to port that vertex animation?

The generated shader Looks like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    2. void GetObjectRoot_float(out float3 Out, out float timeNudge)
    3. {
    4.     Out = GetObjectToWorldMatrix()._m03_m13_m23;
    5.     timeNudge = (-unity_DeltaTime.x).xxxx.x;
    6. }
    7. void TreeAnimationInit_float(out float4 init)
    8. {
    9.     init = float4(0,0,0,0);
    10. }
    11. float4 QuaternionFromAxisAngle(float3 axis, float angle) {
    12.     float2 hsc;
    13.     sincos(angle * 0.5f, hsc.x, hsc.y);
    14.     return float4(axis * hsc.x, hsc.y);
    15. }
    16. float3 QuaternionRotatePoint(float3 pnt, float4 quat) {
    17.     return pnt + 2.0 * cross(quat.xyz, cross(quat.xyz, pnt) + quat.w * pnt);
    18. }
    19. float3 QuaternionRotatePointAbout(float3 pnt, float3 abt, float4 quat) {
    20.     return abt + QuaternionRotatePoint(pnt - abt, quat);
    21. }
    22. float3 QuaternionRotateVector(float3 vec, float4 quat) {
    23.     return vec + 2.0 * cross(quat.xyz, cross(quat.xyz, vec) + quat.w * vec);
    24. }
    25. float3 GetWindDirection(float3 worldPivot) {
    26.     return normalize(_WindDirection + frac(float3(worldPivot.x, 0, worldPivot.z)) * 0.2f - 0.1f);
    27. }
    28. float3 GetTreeBaseGustWind(float3 worldPivot, float timeNudge, float _WindTime) {
    29.     float objectBasePhase = dot(worldPivot, _WindTreeBaseStrengthPhase) + dot(worldPivot, _WindDirectionStable) * -_WindTreeBaseStrengthPhase2;
    30.     float objectGustPhase = dot(worldPivot, _WindTreeGustStrengthPhase) + dot(worldPivot, _WindDirectionStable) * -_WindTreeGustStrengthPhase2;
    31.     float windBaseCosInner = _WIND_PI2 * (_WindTime + timeNudge + objectBasePhase) / _WindTreeBaseStrengthVariancePeriod;
    32.     float windBase = (cos(windBaseCosInner) * 0.5f + _WindTreeBaseStrengthOffset) * _WindTreeBaseStrength;
    33.     float windGustCosInner = _WIND_PI2 * (_WindTime + timeNudge + objectGustPhase) / _WindTreeGustStrengthVariancePeriod;
    34.     float windGust = (cos(windGustCosInner + cos(windGustCosInner * _WindTreeGustInnerCosScale)) * 0.5f + _WindTreeGustStrengthOffset) * _WindTreeGustStrength;
    35.     return float3(windBase, windGust, windBase + windGust);
    36. }
    37. float3 TreeAnimationInternal(float3 worldPos, float3 worldNrm, float3 objectRoot, float timeNudge, float _WindTime,out float3 newWorldNrm) //, out float3 newWorldPos, out float3 newWorldNrm)
    38. {
    39.     float lvBRelativeObjectScale = mul(UNITY_MATRIX_M, float4(0, _WindRangeLvlB, 0, 0)).y;
    40.     float3 windFwd = GetWindDirection(objectRoot);
    41.     float3 lvBBaseGustWind = GetTreeBaseGustWind(objectRoot, timeNudge, _WindTime);
    42.     float3 lvBPos = objectRoot;
    43.     float3 lvBFwd = float3(0, 1, 0); //TODO: grab from rotation matrix
    44.     float lvBElasticity = _WindElasticityLvlB;
    45.     float lvBDistScale = saturate((worldPos.y - objectRoot.y) / lvBRelativeObjectScale);
    46.     lvBElasticity *= lvBDistScale;
    47.     float lvBWindRotAngle = lvBBaseGustWind.x * lvBElasticity;
    48.     lvBWindRotAngle = log2(1.f + abs(lvBWindRotAngle)) * sign(lvBWindRotAngle);
    49.     float3 lvBWindAxis = cross(lvBFwd, windFwd);
    50.     float4 lvBWindQuat = QuaternionFromAxisAngle(lvBWindAxis, lvBWindRotAngle);
    51.     //newWorldPos = QuaternionRotatePointAbout(worldPos, lvBPos, lvBWindQuat);
    52.     float3 newWorldPos = QuaternionRotatePointAbout(worldPos, lvBPos, lvBWindQuat);
    53.     newWorldNrm = QuaternionRotateVector(worldNrm, lvBWindQuat);
    54.     return newWorldPos;
    55. }
    57. void TreeAnimation_float(float3 worldPos, float3 worldNrm, float3 objectRoot, float timeNudge, float _WindTime, float3 animInit, out float3 newWorldPos)
    58. {
    59.     float3 _worldPos;
    60.     float3 _worldNrm;
    61.     //TreeAnimationInternal(worldPos, worldNrm, objectRoot, timeNudge, _WindTime, _worldPos, _worldNrm);
    62.     _worldPos = TreeAnimationInternal(worldPos, worldNrm, objectRoot, timeNudge, _WindTime, _worldNrm);
    63.     newWorldPos = _worldPos;
    64.     //newworldNrm = _worldNrm;
    65. }
    66. // Vertex Graph Evaluation
    67. VertexDescription VertexDescriptionFunction(VertexDescriptionInputs IN)
    68. {
    69.     VertexDescription description = (VertexDescription)0;
    70.     float3 _GetObjectRoot_E9BAE47F_Out;
    71.     float _GetObjectRoot_E9BAE47F_timeNudge;
    72.     GetObjectRoot_float(_GetObjectRoot_E9BAE47F_Out, _GetObjectRoot_E9BAE47F_timeNudge);
    73.     float4 _TreeAnimationInit_F496C11C_init;
    74.     TreeAnimationInit_float(_TreeAnimationInit_F496C11C_init);
    75.     float3 _TreeAnimation_FD171ED2_newWorldPos;
    76.     TreeAnimation_float(IN.WorldSpacePosition, float3 (0,0,0), _GetObjectRoot_E9BAE47F_Out, _GetObjectRoot_E9BAE47F_timeNudge, _Time.y, (_TreeAnimationInit_F496C11C_init.xyz), _TreeAnimation_FD171ED2_newWorldPos);
    77.     float3 _Subtract_60D47F4_Out;
    78.     Unity_Subtract_float3(_TreeAnimation_FD171ED2_newWorldPos, _WorldSpaceCameraPos, _Subtract_60D47F4_Out);
    79.     float3 _Transform_50923594_Out = TransformWorldToObject(_Subtract_60D47F4_Out.xyz);
    80.     description.Position = _Transform_50923594_Out;
    81.     return description;
    82. }

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    Alverik likes this.
  31. 5teven

5teven

Greetings!

I have a tiny problem getting the Decal Projector to work, when i used the Decal projector in a empty HDRP Project it worked fine without any issues however when using the BOTD Stuff it refuses to work under the normal usage (Using Unity 2018.3.9f1 Personal):

I noticed the Decal Projector Object is also not showing the White arrow which would show where the Decal is being projected to.

After some searching in the settings etc. i found the "Support Decal Buffer" Option in the Pipeline settings however turning this on didnt help either.

These are my Material/RP Settings:

I also tried being sneaky and trying to replace the BOTD Decal Shader Folder with the Unity one but this just broke all shaders :p

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  32. GaaraBTK

GaaraBTK

I did more dig into the code and found that one issue was that the exposed Shader Graph Properties are not overwritten by using the WindControl.cs script which uses the CommandBuffer to set the values. But instead the default values in the material instance itself are being used. I then updated the values at the same time when CommandBuffer is written with treeMaterial.SetFloat(…). But this seems not to be the proper way of doing that.

Any idea, why the CommandBuffer.SetFloat does not work on Shader variables that are created by ShaderGraph? When they are exposed they are places in between CBUFFER_START(UnityPerMaterial) and CBUFFER_END like they are in Forest_VtxAnim_Shared2.cginc. Or is the problem the different name UnityPerMaterial vs. GlobalWindParams?

Also in the ShaderGraph was an error with substracting the camera Position from the rotated vertex position. I solved that by substracting it first from the vertex worldPos used for the TreeAnimation Node.
    The tree is bending in the wind now, but it is a bit slow Motion compared to the BotD sample with the very same Settings (WindControl, ElasticityLvlB & RangeLvlB)

33. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

First of all, nice work! Unfortunately, it's not yet possible to implement the full thing in shader graph (lack of tangent frame rotation and motion vector output e.g.), but as you already found out, getting the positional swaying should be doable.

> why the CommandBuffer.SetFloat does not work on Shader variables that are created by ShaderGraph

So there's a property lookup priority thing going on here. Specifically, you can't globally override properties that are provided by a material. At the current time, I think your only workaround is to keep your uniforms defined in the hlsl include, and address them globally as is currently done in WindControl.

34. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

Did you also configure the Decals group in that same HDRP settings asset? (and did you make sure you edited the correct settings assets? there's more than one in the project)

35. GaaraBTK

GaaraBTK

For what logic are the tangent frame rotation and motion vectors used? I saw alot being used for tree occlusion culling and tesellation adjustments. But for now, i'm totally happy without those 2 functionalities.

I'm now trying to get the branches moved as well.

36. 5teven

5teven

What "Decals group" exactly? Do you mean the option setting in the configuration?
    If yes I have enabled the "Support Decal Buffer" on all three Configuration Files:

(https://i.imgur.com/T0U8X4c.png)

37. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

Essentially, the settings at the very bottom of your screenshots.

38. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

If you look at the existing shader code, you'll see that it also transforms the normals along with the position so that shading works as expected when branches bend heavily.

Motion vectors are needed for correct Temporal Anti-Aliasing and Motion Blur.

39. junctionboss

junctionboss

Hi there,
    I loaded BOD assets in my curent 2019.1.3f1, not seeing that its for 2018- and wondering if someone offer advise if its worthy trying to fix that or just go back to 2018 for BOD assets and hope my 2019.1.3f1 project can survive it ?

TY

40. Deleted User

Deleted User

Maybe you could post here the error messages you are getting?

I'm downloading it right now in the same version of Unity.

41. Jaklagratt

Jaklagratt

Hello,

Thank you guys at Unity for such a great work !!! I just would like to know if is it possible to modify the wind strength and area light settings from a custom script. My goal is to control in real time the global wind strength and some lighting properties from a music track. Thank you.

42. junctionboss

junctionboss

* I'm willing to work with whatever engine is advisable- ty so much for taking these steps to assist me APS, I removed BOD thinking the error might be beyond me, but my connecton is solid so I can re download and go from there as I dont want to waste your offer.

I'll just redownload BOD here out of expediency..brb

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  43. 5teven

5teven

Aaaah i see, i did notice the Decal group at the bottom which i set to the following settings on all three configurations:

(https://i.imgur.com/QzZ0nXy.png)

I also noticed that my decal projector now has a blue box as well after i restarted unity and reloaded the project:

(https://i.imgur.com/fM59VtO.png)

Is there perhaps anything else i might have missed?

44. Deleted User

Deleted User

Just finished downloading it in 2019.1.; I loaded a scene and there is nothing in it although it should be full of stuff: This only makes me think that it's above fixing hopes.

Capture.JPG
    If you really want to work on it, try installing 2018.2.21f1 as it is the closest version to the one that was used to make the project; it is available in the Hub. :)

45. junctionboss

junctionboss

Ok ty for checking- wow what a eye opener ;-0, only thing I fear is I"m going even further back from the 0b2, can't wait, but I must as I should never have used that thing to begin with beyond backing up and going fwd - never my intention ( beta that is). I had too much hope in a beta, not typically a good idea ;)

46. junctionboss

junctionboss

Just wondering- am I setting myself up for failure going that far back ( losing how many features ?), or should I forego BOTD and find something else- if I do that, is 2019.2.3f1 the desired version ? Its all a bit confusing knowing which one to go with ;0-0

47. Andrei_Ciuntu_Paul

Andrei_Ciuntu_Paul

Need help,with an error,occured with version 2018.2.20f and also 2018.2.9b,all blank in scene. image.jpg image.jpg

48. junctionboss

junctionboss

HI andrew and pls dont "" me, I"m seudo beginner-advanced- but it may be that you set that to on, and its telling you to deactivate it, UN tick it may fix it....

Long shot prob., but hey nothing wrong with trying. I know how frustrating those errors can be .

HTH's

49. Andrei_Ciuntu_Paul

Andrei_Ciuntu_Paul

uhm,i just didn’t touch anything,i managed to just import the asset on a 3D blank project and get this. I’m now trying on another pc,let’s see what it does...edit: i’m the same guy,just changed name because i realized that,that was my nickname when i was 12 years old.

50. Andrei_Ciuntu_Paul

Andrei_Ciuntu_Paul

Solved. Just restarted unity.