Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Book of the Dead: Environment

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by torbjorn, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Rowlan

Rowlan

The asset store description says "upgraded to 2018.2 final". So I just wanted to try the demo from the asset store with 2018.2.15f1 and all I get is black screens and console errors. Is there a specific version one has to use?

2. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Did you try restarting the editor after importing?

3. Rowlan

Rowlan

No, I didn't. After nothing worked I changed the HDRP version to 3 and now I can't start the project at all anymore, Unity crashes during loading.

I'll retry with your suggestion, thanks.

4. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Just to be clear here, you can't have any SRP preinstalled for BotD environment. When you try this, make just regular 3D template project using 2018.2, make sure you don't have HDRP or LWRP or even core etc installed. Then just import the BotD environment from Asset Store, wait for it to process it, restart editor once it's done.

BotD demo comes with it's own modified versions of all these, including Post Processing stack so if you have packages installed for these, they will most likely just conflict and throw errors at you. I also stress that you can't "swap" these packages to newer ones either with Package Manager.

Rowlan likes this.
  5. Rowlan

Rowlan

Thanks! That was probably the problem then. I created a HDRP project and imported there.

6. Rowlan

Rowlan

@rizu Thanks a lot! Your suggestion worked, you totally made my day, this is sooo awesome :)

irval hdrp 01.jpg
    irval hdrp 03.jpg
    irval hdrp 05.jpg

7. nbac

nbac

i do like the idea of having occlusion probes in sdt pipeline. but where those really shine ist the foliage/ trees. this implentation has no two sided opacity shader. else it is seems to work.

8. jay3sh

jay3sh

I received this error when I upgraded my project to use HDRP. I found out that it was because my build platform was set to Android. Switching the platform to PC got rid of this error. (My DirectX is also at 12 Win10, running nVidia GTX 765M). HTH.

9. Rowlan

Rowlan

I toyed around more. Is there really no easy way to port this to Unity 2018.3? It would be really sad if these most awesome assets will just perish. You guys did a most awesome and amazing job, excellent work. I simply used a dragon within your asset here and I'm blown away, the graphics is top, so is the performance.

The thing that impresses me most is how alive your scene is. It doesn't even have to be a game. Just live in it :)

10. nbac

nbac

even the assets for new hdrp would be interesting without scene and build stuff

11. Appinator

Appinator

Hello at all :)
    I imported the Book of the Dead Environment (Unity 2018.3.0f2 Personal)
    I get the following error message:
    "error CS0104: `MinAttribute' is an ambiguous reference between `UnityEngine.MinAttribute' and `UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.MinAttribute'"
    Please can you tell me how to solve the problem?
    Thank you very much

12. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

You need 2018.2 for this demo, you can look around for more info on last two pages on this thread for more details :)

13. Appinator

Appinator

Thank you very much @rizu

14. ilegor365

ilegor365

15. ilegor365

ilegor365

Having failed to get past compilation errors in 2018.3 versions I installed 2018.2.0f1, created a new 3D project, imported Book Of The Dead and I still get compilation errors. Suggestions?

16. Rowlan

Rowlan

I was using it with 2018.2.15f1 without problems. Maybe try that one.

17. Master4k

Master4k

Hello everyone I am absolutely new with the unity engine and I am absolutely overwhelmed I would just like to watch this demo and enjoy these incredible textures on my PC but I have no idea how I can start the demo ... I ask you can help me one explain how I must proceed so that I can look at the demo?
    Thank you!! :(

18. unity_w2KalH3Pu1DLDA

unity_w2KalH3Pu1DLDA

I confirm this. Was unable to run this with 2018.3.5f1 - reimporting does not help. However I uninstalled it, installed 2018.2.15f1 and imported it again. Works surprisingly well! My PC is already 5 years old and has no high-end components apart form a decent Intel i5 CPU (4 cores); gfx card : Radeon R9 270X and it's really running smooth. Unbelievable!
    Unbelievable job as well - the environment is almost photorealistic and the immersion effect while browsing through the woods is just amazing! You have to try it for yourself.

Rowlan likes this.
  19. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

I'm a bit frustrated I can't use the scene as a testbed for the HDRP Pipeline Package so I'm currently stripping out all of the code.. this may mess up the occlusion, depth of field, wind effects, terrain etc but oh well :D I'll report back if I have any luck

*EDIT* Just given up, too much hassle, it did work in the end but the framerate was dire because I deleted all of the occlusion culling code...

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    mysticvalleycsa likes this.
  20. Davood_Kharmanzar

Davood_Kharmanzar

does exists a chance to upgrade the HDRP of Book of the Dead from version 1 to version 4.x?

21. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

All the custom terrain stuff really ####'ed up my attempt to convert it to a newer HDRP version , shame :(

22. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

Update on BotD:E and new Unity versions:

As most of you probably already know, BotD:E currently only runs on Unity 2018.2.x.

The plan is to update the project to 2019.1 and latest HDRP during April. We'll work towards getting as close to official HDRP release as possible, hopefully ending up running on the official package (provided we're able to plug everything custom through callbacks and shader graph).

cc @ROBYER1 @unity_zOvEB4IgVxRirA @unity_w2KalH3Pu1DLDA @Rowlan @Appinator @rizu @jay3sh @nbac @Troast @keeponshading @Flindt @Griffox @julienbolbach @optimise

23. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

This sounds like a good plan :) I got Occlusion Probes running on stock SRP callbacks so that part at least is doable.
    There is one stopping issue on 2019.1 atm though and it's this: https://forum.unity.com/threads/custom-bake-api-broken-in-2019-1.635125/
    Of course there was no mention if 2019.1 BOTD environment will even have Occlusion Probes or if Unity will replace it with VXSM etc...

ROBYER1 likes this.
  24. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

I'll make sure the custom bake bugfix gets backported to 19.1.

Don't expect any major revamp of approaches. BotD will still be BotD.

keeponshading, ROBYER1 and rz_0lento like this.
  25. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

@torbjorn let get this working with Vegetation Studio Pro!

26. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

That sounds like work primarily for VSP creators.

ROBYER1 likes this.
  27. nasos_333

nasos_333

I try to include the Atmospheric Scattering HDRP in my project from Book Of the dead and cannot

HDRenderPipeline.OnBeforeForwardOpaque does not seem to exist

Also i get error when i include the HRpipeline library from UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering, says does not exist ?

Sometimes Visual Studio accepts it, sometimes not, is random like a bug.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

28. tetrasect

tetrasect

How long is it supposed to take to build? Unity has become unresponsive at "HDRenderPineline/Lit: 1738 of about 1824" but is still maxing out my CPU and has been running for about 3 hours. Task manager shows CPU usage and Memory usage is fluctuating but disk usage is only fluctuating between 0 and 0.1MB/s.

Is this normal or has it frozen?

29. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

It depends on how fast your computer is. On a laptop or an older system, the first build (when there's no shader cache) could easily take many hours. On a modern desktop, the initial clean build takes less than an hour.

30. tetrasect

tetrasect

Thanks, it just finished with "successful" message but when I try run it it crashes while loading.

This pops up for a split second as it crashes out of fullscreen:

EDIT: Seems to be a DX11 only issue, did a build for Vulkan and it runs fine, just very laggy... (on a laptop with an i7-6500U and a GeForce 940M)

Could someone maybe just upload a working build? Seems like an easier solution than every single person trying to troubleshoot this mess.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  31. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

I shared my unofficial Occlusion Probes port here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/occlusion-probes.531573/page-2#post-4349689. It does work on 2019.1+ and can work without any SRP customization as it uses standard SRP callbacks now (also works on built-in). Main package doesn't have any shaders, only Occlusion Probes "feature". I put another package for HDRP SG SubGraphs but I give no guarantee this does things properly as I'm no rendering engineer :)

I did face one issue while working with this though, it does bake the Occlusion Probes texture if the lighting values are low (old style). But if I use realistic lighting values (like 100k intensity for directional light), it will result in occlusion probe result being all white. This seems like something that the custom bake can't handle right atm so it probably should be compensated somehow. @torbjorn, you have any pointers on where to start looking for the solution for this?

32. alexdedalus

alexdedalus

How to download "the book of the dead" ? Dont have button to download

33. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

@alexdedalus from first post:
    You should see button "Add to my assets" there if you haven't added it, after that you can download it normally with Unity editor like anything you got from their asset store.

34. lordfirefox

lordfirefox

Ryzen R7 2700X 32GB DDR4 and a RX 580 8GB

Clean build on Unity version 2018.2.15f (64bit)

Build freezes on HDRenderPipeline/Lit: 911 of about 912

CPU gets pegged on all 8 cores and 16 threads to 100% The build should not be taking that long. On my Laptop with older Intel Hardware it compiles and builds much faster and doesn't get stuck on the HDRenderPipeline.

35. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

Not off the top of my head.. it should just work, but maybe it overflows somewhere for whatever reason..

36. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

You should take a look at the running processes. If all CPU time goes into Unity's shader compiler then things are probably working as expected. It can take a really long time to build all shaders on the first build (when there's no shader cache).

37. Flindt

Flindt

@torbjorn any more good news on any dates for the new release of this BotD 2019 edition? Also do you have idea/list of the "fixes" that will be in that version? I assume wind will be more incorporated? i also remember something about the custom BotD HDRP shaders had some issues with refraction? and then i think the UI - when used as 3d ui canvas - was flickering when playing the game in "desktop unlocked" graphics quality - or is this already fixed in the latest 2018 versions?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    Alverik likes this.
  38. NeoQuetzal

NeoQuetzal

Hi! Someone knows how to use the first person controller (movement, camera look, breath sounds, etc..) in an empty new scene?. What assets I need to a first person controller fully functional? Thank you in advanced!

39. HugesSmash

HugesSmash

I cant import the Book of the dead Enviroments whenever I do it says assets are already in your project. I Don't have in the project and would like to import them In, I get the Error code
    Failed to import package with error: Couldn't decompress package
    UnityEditor.Web.JSProxyMgr:DoTasks() Help would be very Appreciative

40. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

Could you please see if there's anything more useful in your log file? (https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LogFiles.html)

41. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

No news, but someone is working on it right-now-tm.

I don't really have any hard-facts about exactly what will ship, but allow me to speculate a bit..
    - Wind won't be integrated into the core Lit shaders, most likely it will be a custom shader graph animation node (but I believe SG needs to add arbitrary vertex attribute for that to be feasible)
    - IIRC, refraction was disabled in the BotD/Lit shaders to reduce variant count. This should no longer be required if most materials transition to shader graph shaders.
    - I wasn't aware of the 3D UI issue... you might want to file a bug for that (but I guess there's a chance it might be fixed in a more recent HDRP version with less custom changes)

Alverik likes this.
  42. koirat

koirat

I was thinking about snatching this tasty assets for my project. But I don't use HDRP, is it going to be difficult to convert it to standard materials ?

43. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

@koirat Most assets come with object space normal maps I think, that's going to give you most trouble when you are porting them over (it's also been ages since I've used the built-in renderer now, I don't know if there's some easy solution for using normals in object space there).

44. MichaelCap

MichaelCap

Cannot load anything to even get started …

I am new to Unity. Running 2018.3.4f1

RE:
    Loading Book of the Dead: Environment
    -------------------------------------
    Use the menu ‘Tools > Load Book of the Dead: Environment’ to load all the scenes of the project.
    and …
    Loading the asset library
    -------------------------
    Use the menu ‘Tools > Load Asset Library’ to discover the asset library.

I only see Tools => ProBuilder and no option to load anything from it

Any help is appreciated

45. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Current version from the Asset Store only runs with 2018.2. See this post for more info:

46. MichaelCap

MichaelCap

I didn't catch that. I don't believe I need anything specific to .3 since I'm new to Unity. Is there a way to roll back my version to .2 … or is that a Q for another thread?

47. koirat

koirat

That is very surprising. Are object space Normal maps more suited for HDRP ?

48. Alverik

Alverik

Been trying the environment using 2018.2, really superb, far surpasses the Fontainebleau demo in many aspects. But obviously, this isn't just about the photogrammetry itself, It's the all the custom tech they've made to support it (although to me Fontainebleau just looks better in the flythroughs than in first person...).

I think the wind is a big factor, not only is the bending more natural (or dramatic) but it's just freaking amazing when you're walking and you suddenly see the foliage react to waves of wind which you can actually hear (even the grass looks freaking amazing). The world feels alive. In contrast Unity's default wind effect for trees and grass is really crappy and fake... Another factor is the smaller "debris" on the ground. The custom tech to pile debris and batch all of them is really practical stuff. You barely need to worry about the terrain's texturing this way. I also love the effect from the Occlusion probes, simply superb. And the atmospheric scattering, optimization methods, etc.

Makes me wonder why they aren't trying to simplify the setup for some of these stuff to integrate them into Unity. I wouldn't mind vertex painting my trees for this high quality wind. Of course there's the issue of creating Vector fields/flowmaps, but they could just provide a few pre-made ones for some variety (well, it would be awesome if it was possible to make a tool to create vector fields/flowmap in your scene with relative ease).

Anyway, hope the pack works on 2018.3 soon, I really want to use the asset in a project, but if possible I want to stick to 2018.3. Really want to try adding more trees (maybe from the Fontainebleau project.)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  49. nbac

nbac

so there is a showcase (botd) teasing the hdrp and its awesome foliage - but it does not work with hdrp atm. hdrp itself does not have speedtree support - almost no foliage assets on store supports hdrp. what trees foliage do you guys use?
    i really have to do everything from scratch? with no example from the bodt or somewhere else!? its a mess you want to use hdrp but its very hard with the things you bought on store not supporting hdrp. using the legacy pipeline makes it hard and or you have to buy all the features from hdrp seperately.
    this is. ...

50. elbows

elbows

Well they've been working on HDRP Speedtree support again recently on github so hopefully support for that isnt too far away now.

Previously I believe some trees on the asset store by naturemanufacture did work with HDRP. Then HDRP changed quite a bit and they stopped working, but then they eventually updated their asset to work with more recent HDRP again.