Search Unity

Unity Book of the Dead: Environment

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by torbjorn, Jun 20, 2018.

1. KetovJann

KetovJann

At the moment, the problem manifests itself when turning on a directional light source

2. cfree

cfree

Hey guys!
    I am struggling for months trying to create a smooth first person controller in Unity (always facing jitter problems when moving and rotating at the same time).
    On Book of the Dead, the character controller is really smooth... but is really hard to understand all the code required to it (lots of interpolation going on, and the camera and the body are not the same object).

Maybe you guys can help me to create a First Person Character Prefab from Book of the Dead.... just the basics (movement and look).

Any help or advice on the matter will be very appreciated :)
    Thanls a lot!

3. PixelPounder

PixelPounder

Quick Question... I have a fast computer that is less than a year old with 64GB fast ram, higher end CPU/Motherboard and a good graphics card... and when I play high end games, I can use the top settings with no issues. I ran that VR compatibility check from Steam earlier this year and it had me on the high end of things and rating my system very capable of using VR. When I go to Task Manager on my Window's 10 computer... CPU and Memory don't go above 25% usage while running the scene and walking around in it.

The "scene" does play well but when I click on stats in the Game window within the editor it has me at around 35 FPS... and when I look around with the mouse, it gets a bit blurry until I stop looking around.

The data (ie. usage performance stats by my computer) and my computer specs say I should be at 60+ FPS as I have plenty of memory and CPU power to spare... why do you think this is occurring? Now, when I don't use the mouse to look around and just walking, there is no blurring and it's clean, although I'm still at around 35 FPS.

My computer's specs:
    Brand: OriginPC
    CPU: Intel Core i7 8700K 6-Core 3.7GHz (4.7GHz TurboBoost) and is overclocked.
    MB: MSI Z370M Gaming Pro AC
    RAM: 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3000MHz (4 X 16GB)
    HD: SSD
    Graphics Card: 4GB Radeon RX 570 Series

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  4. julianjimsa

julianjimsa

Is there a way to make this work for VR?

5. Haldari

Haldari

3 tries and still no go

and now I can't even get the 3 logs to been seen by your uploader. According to their properties they are all .log

The following error occurred:
    The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension.

and when I manually add the .log

and I changed it to .txt ...

whatever

6. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

Hard to say without more information.. have you tried building and running a standalone?

7. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

If there's a will, there's a way. But it's not a trivial effort.

8. incitement1

incitement1

Hi do you record your HD video ?

9. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

I used ScreenFlow

incitement1 likes this.
  10. castana1962

castana1962

Hi
    I am interested in trying this Book of the Death Environment in several VR Headsets since I am an Oculus and Valve program member. Since I have heard that The Book of the Death VR Environment would be available with the 2019.1x version of Unity, for it, Is it like that? Please let me know it !!! Thanks for your time

11. Flindt

Flindt

Hi - I'm using BOTD asset - and i have two questions.

1. I need to use a blur background shader - but the unlit shader does not work ok?- when using BOTD.
    There is no effect when i try to turn up/down blur effect etc.

2. Im considering rebuilding the setup - (or the parts that i need) based on a normal more standard HDRP default scene - also to avoid these and other future issues. But what are the steps involved for importing elements or entire scenes into a standard HDRP scene? Im using pretty much all the nice effects like wind, scattering etc. so i hope it can be ported...?
    And have anyone done it?

Thanks

12. bradweiers

bradweiers

Unity Technologies

Right now we're going through the process of figuring out which rendering features from the original version of BotD will work in VR and the latest version of HDRP. Stay tuned.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    castana1962 and Rowlan like this.
  13. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Will Unity update the Book of the Dead environment to 2018.3 and HDRP 4.6 etc? A lot has changed since HDRP 2.0.5 (which is in currently available version).

Rowlan, JonsonSteve and optimise like this.
  14. optimise

optimise

Ya. I hope I can get the same looks with vanilla HDRP.

15. unitysl

unitysl

Hi. I am having this problem after importing BOOK OF THE DEAD to my project. I am very much new to unity . Can some one please help me to solve this.

ArgumentException: Kernel 'KMainTopRight' not found.
    UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.TexturePadding..ctor (UnityEngine.ComputeShader cs) (at Assets/_LocalPackages/botd.com.unity.render-pipelines.core/CoreRP/CoreResources/TexturePadding.cs:20)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.HDPipeline.HDRenderPipeline..ctor (UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.HDPipeline.HDRenderPipelineAsset asset) (at Assets/_LocalPackages/botd.com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition/HDRP/RenderPipeline/HDRenderPipeline.cs:232)

kittphi likes this.
  16. castana1962

castana1962

Hi bradweiers
    It is great !!! Hopeful the BOTD.Environment was VR asap...
    I am going to stay tuned
    Thanks for your help !!!

17. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

Try this: https://forum.unity.com/threads/book-of-the-dead-environment.536902/#post-3538619

kittphi likes this.
  18. unitysl

unitysl

Hi. I tried this

Dear torbjorn. This didn't work. The error stil there. Anything else I can do to solve this. I realy apreciate your help.

19. unitysl

unitysl

20. julienbolbach

julienbolbach

Hi,

I have the same issue as mentioned above by unitysl :
    ArgumentException: Kernel 'KMainTopRight' not found.

I have the same issue trying to open the "Sample Film Project" in Unity 2018.3.0f2 in MacOS
    Some guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot,

Julien

21. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

@unitysl @julienbolbach Don't try to open it in 2018.3, it's not likely to work. Use Unity 2018.2 (or wait Unity to actually update the project to work on 2018.3). Making this work in 2018.3 isn't trivial few line change either, it involves changing the whole HDRP and implementing book of the dead specific changes to it, we are talking about a task that can take days even for experienced Unity users who know what needs to be changed and where.

22. KazkoNishitani

KazkoNishitani

I downloaded the data from the asset store and tried to open it in the HDRP project. But I can not open it with an error.
    The errors are as follows.

Which version of Unity can I open the data with HDRP?
    I am using Unity 2018.2.8f1 now. Incidentally, the latest version was downloaded with the UnityJapan stuff when I participated in the workshop the other day and but the same error came out and I could not open the data.

Strangely it can be opened by downloading data with 3D project.

It would be wonderful if you were able to solve this problem.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Kazuko

Attached Files:

23. Flindt

Flindt

@rizu - does this mean you have done it?

Do you have experience in rebuilding parts of the botd setup in 2018.3/HDRP?

24. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

I haven't done this for BotD, but I have HDRP and PP changes in my github fork in single diffs. I've ported FPS Sample from 2018.3 to 2019.1 though and it's pretty similar deal when SRPs are considered, altho their HDRP changes are way smaller than what Book of the Dead environment did.

I'd wait for Unity respond here before starting to port this yourself, it's possible they have 2018.3 version on the way already.

25. Flindt

Flindt

Thanks - that was what i feared.. but i really hope it will be sooner than later that BotD is updgraded...

26. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

You cannot open this package in a HDRP project, it comes with is own custom render pipeline embedded.

27. KazkoNishitani

KazkoNishitani

Can I import some assets from this project to a other HDRP project?

28. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

Yes. But you'll miss out on the custom features in the BotD project (vegetation wind animation, view dependent smoothness tweaks, procedural bark shading etc)

29. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

I missed this before, what's the purpose of this? Does it help with the foliage?

30. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

The exact plans aren't quite there yet, so let me get back to you on this one.

rz_0lento likes this.
  31. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

It's pretty much this (timestamped):

rz_0lento likes this.
  32. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Thanks for the link, that explains it well. That looks like it would be handy on many projects, why isn't this ported to main HDRP? :D

Talking of porting feats, I noticed that MegaCity uses also Occlusion Probes. Is there some enhanced version there or is it just BotD's version ported there?

33. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

It's not ported to main HDRP primarily because it's dubious from a physically correctness POV, but also because it's fairly trivial to implement in a shader graph.

MC lighting is probably not a topic suitable in this post, but in short it doesn't really "use occlusion probes" as such, it uses light probe volumes applied in the lighting loop (so in screenspace for 99% of the world).

34. alxndrhglnd

alxndrhglnd

It´s very unfortunate that it does not seem to work in unity3d 2018.3, in the readme it does not say anything about that. Alot of wasted time.

35. julienbolbach

julienbolbach

Hey guys,
    Have anyone managed to import the BOTD wind system into Unity 2018.3 ?
    It seems like a few things have changed between 2018.2 and 2018.3 and the scripts throw some errors.

Thanks,

Julien

36. Griffox

Griffox

I really was looking forward to viewing this. Any word as to when it might be available for 2018.3? Slightly insane amount of errors upon loading ArgumentException: Kernel 'KMainTopRight' not found but I am sure you are all aware of that by now

37. Flindt

Flindt

I have been a happy user of Unreal for a few years now – but partly because of the great looking BOTD I convinced one client that we should try out Unity for one specific program they needed.

Only after doing few months work we realized that BOTD was using custom written setup of wind/shaders that was not compatible with newer Unity versions, with shader graph + realized that all the HDRP versions are actually all in BETA (anyone correct me if I’m misinformed)

As everyone else I understand the wish from Unity to spread the word about what great looking stuff you can do with future Unity versions – but for me and many other – it is so extremely depressing not to have any approximate dates of when/what we can expect for this specific BOTD setup.

@torbjorn If there are any information you can give on what/when to expect – that would really be extremely appreciated by all on this forum.

AdminArdagor likes this.
  38. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

First of all, apologies if the communication around HDRP's preview status, and BotD customized renderpipeline approach hasn't been made sufficiently clear for you.

HDRP is expected to leave preview in 2019.3 and it's - imho - already very usable in a production expecting to ship 2019H2 or later. In most regards, HDRP already matches or supersedes the customizations done for BotD, but one very prominent exception is vegetation wind. At some point a proper wind solution will be provided out of the box, but I don't know exactly when such a thing will ship. We realize that a lot of ppl are in need of that feature, but the rendering team's main focus is currently on getting the core pipelines out of preview state.

As far as BotD goes, we definitely want to get it running on the current Unity versions, but timing and scheduling has to align for that to happen, and we have yet to be able to get it to the top of anyone's todo list. More info will be posted here as soon as a plan exists.

39. keeponshading

keeponshading

You only need free community stuff

• Occlussion Probes fuer Legacy Standard
    https://github.com/0lento/OcclusionProbesDemo
    to get Trees right
    • Aura
    https://github.com/raphael-ernaelsten/Aura
    for Volumetrics

• a nicer HDR Sky with some more EV´s
    https://hdrihaven.com/hdri/?c=skies&h=cape_hill

• optional
    NatureManufacture Wind Backport from Meadow Environment

• make all Stones and Cliffs Lightmap static
    • and then bake everything with Bakery
      with Lightmap Groups for Vegetation, Trees, Big Cliff........
    DistanceShadowmask
    Directional Mode Dominant Direction
    Backface GI = 1

Looks nicer. Bakes faster. It´s free. It´s Legacy.

When HDRP is out of preview.

Make it even nicer there.

Then try to do this in Unreal.) Try to run The Kite Demo in realtime or try to backport it to an older Unreal Release with free stuff from the community.

Or better when you need some Cinematic overkill.

Stream all PBR Textures and 4K Bakery bakes with Granite
    and replace PP V2 with Yebis. These are not free.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  40. mahmoud-mroueh

mahmoud-mroueh

Hi. I downloaded the asset and imported it into an empty scene. I didn't find the option in tools>Load Book of The Dead: Environment, so I had to drag the scene from projects into hierarchy. Unfortunately the scene is completely pink and the editor is taking too looooong to bake. I attached the image below with the log file. I use Unity 2018.3.0f2
    Any help on how to solve this issue is really appreciated. editor log.PNG

Attached Files:

41. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

It doesn't work with 2018.3 atm. You have to use 2018.2 if you want to actually be able to run the (latest v1.1) demo.

mahmoud-mroueh likes this.
  42. keeponshading

keeponshading

• you can import the botd Asset in an empty 3D Template project
      in Unity 2018.3.2f1, Unity 2018.3.1f1 or Unity 2018.3.0f2
    • got to \Assets\Features\DepthOfFieldAutoFocus\DepthOfFieldAutoFocus.cs
      and edit Line 57 to
      [UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.Min(0.1f)]

kazbbs likes this.
  43. mahmoud-mroueh

mahmoud-mroueh

Thanks. It's now working, but running slow!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  44. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Make sure you don't have both the game and scene view visible at the same time. Other than that, it does run slow at first before it's fully prepared all things (and it runs tad better in build anyway).

45. Troast

Troast

Hi just another post to say I hope you can get this updated to work in latest offical Unity version, thankyou a lot for this work though because it is very nice.

mahmoud-mroueh likes this.
  46. nbac

nbac

such major official content with no updates. i dont get it. it is not even working in an empty project latest unity release.

AdminArdagor likes this.
  47. mahmoud-mroueh

mahmoud-mroueh

It didn't help in 2018.3.0f2

48. mahmoud-mroueh

mahmoud-mroueh

49. mahmoud-mroueh

mahmoud-mroueh

Thanks for your reply. I actually did that and tried to build the scene on windows but when I try the app it freezes on the unity logo and then exit! I don't know if it has something to do with the CPU or GPU bound.

50. mahmoud-mroueh

mahmoud-mroueh

Hi again. So I decided to design my own scene and everything was working smoothly in the editor and in game view. When I built the game for windows I found out that the camera does not respond to the controllers and I can't see the options when I press escape. How can I fix that? @torbjorn

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
unityunity