Search Unity

Official Book of the Dead: Environment

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by torbjorn, Jun 20, 2018.

1. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

Book of the Dead: Environment

We are delighted to finally be able to share the Book of the Dead: Environment package. The package contains an extended version of the environment that is shown in our Book of the Dead trailer.

The package can be downloaded here.
    You can learn more about Book of the Dead and follow the making-of articles here.

This thread is intended as the official place to discuss the content or get help with the package.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: Can we use this content in commercial projects?

A: Yes! Please do. As much as you like. Some components have custom licensing, but these are very permissive licenses (see ThirdPartyNotices.txt for details). Everything else is governed by the non-restrictive asset Unity Asset Store End User License Agreement; this includes the excellent content graciously provided by Quixel.

Q: The downloaded package fails to import with the error message "Couldn't decompress package", help!

A
    : There are several issues that could be the cause of this error message, but a fairly common cause for Windows users is the following:

HDRP contains some really long path names that can cause the package to not import properly into projects located in deep folder hierarchies. If you encounter this error message while importing the package, please try moving the project you're importing into closer to the root of your drive and import the package again.

Q: Does the package work on macOS?

A
    : Yes. However HDRP only officially supports High Sierra.

Q: Can I run the package on OpenGL / GLCore / GLES?

A
    : Sorry, the OGL APIs are not supported by HDRP.

Q: I'm seeing compilation errors after importing the package. What gives?

A
    : Please make sure you import the package into an empty project (use '3D' template when creating the project), and that you are using the indicated Unity version - currently 2018.2b9 or more recent. Note that the package comes with a customized version of HDRP embedded, it should not be imported into a project created using the 'HDRP' template - doing so will result in compilation errors.

Q: I don't want to import into an empty project. Why can't I import directly into my current project?

A: Let the record show that we strongly recommend importing into an empty project. But if you insist, here are some tips that might help...

First things first: please make sure you have made a backup of the project you intend to mess with. Also, please keep in mind that since this is a full project package, all your project settings will be stomped by the import. Some of these project settings are required for the package to work as intended thus skipping them is not advised.

Before trying to import the package into an existing project, it is important to ensure that the project's manifest does not contain any dependencies that might conflict with the packages embedded in the BotD:E package. These packages are com.unity.postprocessing, com.unity.render-pipelines.core, com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition and com.unity.probuilder.

Q: Can I run this in VR?

A: HDRP does not yet support stereo rendering.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  2. Heechee

Heechee

Hi. I would like to ask you if you plan to publish documentation on the realization of this demo, especially on the use of the occlussion probes. I have been reading the development journals that you have published but they are mainly about artistic topics and very superficially about the subject of my question. Thank you.

sdevane and vikky_krish like this.
  3. kristiangrundstrom

kristiangrundstrom

Totally amazing work there!

torbjorn likes this.
  4. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi,

Are the assets in folder "Quixel" -> "Forest-quixel" possible to distribute with our assets or are with different license than the rest of Unity created items in the project ?

Thank you in advance for any clarification

5. chenbo1987

chenbo1987

hi,
    Unity 2018.2.0b8 Open the error ,abnormal display.

Assets/_LocalPackages/botd.com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition/HDRP/RenderPipeline/HDRenderPipeline.cs(937,47): error CS0117: `UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.CullFlag' does not contain a definition for `NeedsReflectionProbes'

Bentolila110 likes this.
  6. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

Hi, the project requires beta9 to work correctly.

SandyGrand likes this.
  7. chenbo1987

chenbo1987

thx ! Let me try it.

8. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

The Quixel assets in this package are governed by the standard Unity Asset Store End User License Agreement. Only some of the code components have custom licensing (but those are very permissive licenses).

9. uni7y

uni7y

can we use parts of this in our own commercial project?

ZarateA and Trungdv like this.
  10. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

Yes. All of it. Look in ThirdPartyNotices.txt for licensing related to some of the code components. Everything else is governed by the Unity Asset Store End User License Agreement.

11. chenbo1987

chenbo1987

hi
    What plug-in is used to output HD video?

12. SirTwistedStorm

SirTwistedStorm

Hello chenbo1987, I believe this is what you were looking for http://u3d.as/SQU
    Have a nice day. :)

13. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

How is Unity Companion License for sharing the code in github? I'm mainly asking if I can push BOTD SRP and PP changes into public github fork (forked from https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/ScriptableRenderPipeline )?

I've already applied BOTD changes for local versions of PP (2.0.7) and SRP (2.0.0), mainly to learn what they did for BOTD versions of these libs. If these are allowed publicly in github, people could maintain custom versions with these changes with upcoming SRP improvements.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  14. cfree

cfree

Why "Hapki" plugin was needed in order to build the Player Controller?
    Hapki.dll
    Hapki.Interpolation.dll
    Hapki.Solvers.dll
    Hapki.Spatial.dll

15. crocvr

crocvr

Hello!

First of all, thank you for amazing work!
    I just checked demo and it is beautiful.

Can you answer few questions about terrain?
    1. I disable all props to look at terrain and I saw that squares sometimes appeared and disappeared when I moved around a scene. Look at image in attach.
    2. How did you create layers in terrains and in terrain materials?

Attached Files:

16. julienh_unity

julienh_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi !
    1. For the patches of terrain disappearing, do you have the occlusion culling window active by any chance ?
    2. We made the hdrp layered shader work with the legacy terrain but it's a little bit hacked in in this project. A proper solution for that is in the making. But in the meantime in this project :
    Look at the terrain material applied on the terrain, all the layers are setup in there. The texture layers in the terrain object properties are actually not used by the material, we just needed 4 of those with any texture to be able to paint the different layers on the terrain.
    I don't know if it is clear enough. I can make clearer explanations when I will be back from Unite tomorrow. In one word, look for the terrain material, it's all in there.

17. steveR

steveR

What techniques or assets do people recommend to best easily reduce the polys and file sizes of these assets?

18. afterwise_

afterwise_

Unity Technologies

These are only some tiny convenience scripts, public domain here: https://github.com/Hapki/HapkiLibs

19. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Impressive project ... work very smooth in my not younger pc, unfortunately DepthOfFieldAutoFocus is not compatible with dx11 :(.

20. TheNightFury

TheNightFury

Hello.
    This Project is amazing , but I ran into a problem.
    I did everything by the instructions and the project works fine. But when trying to create a new terrain it's pink an I didn't find a way to get rid of that.
    Any ideas how to fix that?

Thepolite likes this.
  21. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

The builtin terrain shader doesn't support HDRP. Look at the custom material assigned to the included terrain and work your way from there.

22. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

Yeah so it used to require DX11.1, but I think that requirement isn't actually needed anymore since we ported it to a compute shader. I'll look into removing this restriction for the next package update.

sjm-tech likes this.
  23. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Thanks would be great!

24. vikky_krish

vikky_krish

Hi!

Amazing project, I'm going to have a blast playing with this. But it would be really helpful if you guys could give us some sort of documentation on how everything is organized in the scene. I hope this is coming?

25. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Sweet! I threw some characters in:

stiy27, iamthwee, antoripa and 18 others like this.
  26. julienh_unity

julienh_unity

Unity Technologies

I
    Is there something in particular that you would like explained?

27. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Great stuff. It is photo-realistic in my eyes…
    Thanks for that. :)

torbjorn likes this.
  28. aliashubert

aliashubert

Hi! I'm using the Unity 2018.2.0b9 version for tis asset, but after the import I have received error messages. What I'm missing?

ArgumentException: Kernel 'KMainTopRight' not found.
    UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.TexturePadding..ctor (UnityEngine.ComputeShader cs) (at Assets/_LocalPackages/botd.com.unity.render-pipelines.core/CoreRP/CoreResources/TexturePadding.cs:20)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.HDPipeline.HDRenderPipeline..ctor (UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.HDPipeline.HDRenderPipelineAsset asset) (at Assets/_LocalPackages/botd.com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition/HDRP/RenderPipeline/HDRenderPipeline.cs:231)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.HDPipeline.HDRenderPipelineAsset.InternalCreatePipeline () (at Assets/_LocalPackages/botd.com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition/HDRP/RenderPipeline/HDRenderPipelineAsset.cs:17)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.RenderPipelineAsset.CreatePipeline () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/RenderPipeline/RenderPipelineAsset.cs:19)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.RenderPipelineManager.PrepareRenderPipeline (IRenderPipelineAsset pipe) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/RenderPipeline/RenderPipelineManager.cs:54)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.RenderPipelineManager.DoRenderLoop_Internal (IRenderPipelineAsset pipe, UnityEngine.Camera[] cameras, IntPtr loopPtr) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/RenderPipeline/RenderPipelineManager.cs:27)

29. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

Hi, could you please try right clicking on 'Assets/_LocalPackages' in the project view and choosing 'Reimport'?

Sahej, kittphi and aliashubert like this.
  30. aliashubert

aliashubert

Let me try in a minute. :)

GuneetSingh likes this.
  31. aliashubert

aliashubert

Thanks. It's solved the problem. :) This asset are awesome, I have tried on a not to massive PC and just run smoothly 30-35 FPS. But I think I need more memory because the editor is ate 10Gb ram and really slow. :D

Update: Editor just first time was slow. Now is ok.

CPU: AMD A10 7850K Black Edition (FM2+)
    RAM: HyperX Fury 2x8Gb DDR3 1866MHz CL10
    GPU: ASUS Strix GeForce GTX950 2Gb GDDR5

kittphi and torbjorn like this.
  32. Migueljb

Migueljb

What's the main reason why the Progressive lightmapper was used instead of the Enlighten GI system? Can the same or better be achieved with Enlighten or not as well.

33. lolmaster2

lolmaster2

Amazing work! How would I go about publishing this for iOS and/or tvOS?

34. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

The UCL does permit this. (That being said, I would personally hold off on this task at least until 18.2 leaves beta)

rz_0lento likes this.
  35. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately, right now you don't, because HDRP currently does not support either platform.

36. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Hold off why? You mean maintaining custom SRP? If so, I can agree on that, especially if you guys will port any of the BOTD changes back to mainline (would expect at least the 16-bit shadow buffer find a way there).

Otherwise, it's nice to have the git diff to see what BOTD actually changed on the SRP and PP, it gives an idea how big some of the changes are if someone is going to attempt modifying SRP themselves for custom things.

37. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

Yes, it will be maintained for a while, and yes more of the changes will be brought back to mainline (like the 16-bit shadowmaps option e.g.).

38. unity_ZzsvtKZE0KfShQ

unity_ZzsvtKZE0KfShQ

How run in fullscreen mode?

39. Liminal-Ridges

Liminal-Ridges

What fps do i get with a 1050ti?

40. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

Standard Unity way; either uncheck 'Windowed' in the configuration popup or press alt+enter to toggle while the app's running.

41. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

You tell us :) But I would imagine fairly decent FPS.

42. LukeFireproof

LukeFireproof

Is there some way of building this for ps4? The summary on the asset store says it'll run on ps4 but the latest supported Unity version on devnet is 2018.1.5f1 as shown here https://ps4.siedev.net/forums/thread/227324/

43. Liminal-Ridges

Liminal-Ridges

I'm planning to get this build [2x Xeon 5650 6core @ 2.9 GHz - 48gb ram DDR3 - 1050ti 4gb]

Will i be able to work on such graphics?

44. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

45. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

I'm very surprise to see my old ASUS ROG TYTAN G30 with GTX 770 obtains 32/37(also 48 in some zones) fps on a build ( full HD - dx11).
    Awesome!

torbjorn and hippocoder like this.
  46. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

PLM is required for baking occlusion probes, but if you wanted you probably could bake that data in another pass if you insisted on using Enlighten to lightmap (I recommend you migrate to PLM if you are doing baked workflows). Enlighten is still used even with PLM for runtime GI.

AlanMattano and torbjorn like this.
  47. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

We don't have such a system to test on so it's hard to make any promises, but I imagine you'd be in decent shape. @aliashubert reported smooth 30-35 FPS on a GTX950 yesterday.

48. Kory-therapy

Kory-therapy

Is their any online video on how to get this to work?

thanks in advance

asd861486 likes this.
  49. robert

robert

We have a few more blog posts planned and they should get a bit more technical in places.

The Lighting Team might publish a blog post about Occlusion Probes, but it's not certain yet. It's a feature that will make its way into HDRP one way or another eventually and then will have proper documentation, so that's part of the reason the pressure on documenting it now isn't very high.

I've tried putting some comments in the code to explain what's going on, but the gist is that we make the lightmapper bake sky visibility probes at regular grid locations, and then use that to occlude direct sky contribution. Without that direct sky contribution was sampled as part of baking light probes, which are very sparse so the sky contribution occlusion wasn't getting sampled at a satisfactory resolution. You can see its contribution in the project by toggling the OcclusionProbes object or by going to the HDRP Debug Window and displaying Sky Occlusion via the Material menu.

50. Liminal-Ridges

Liminal-Ridges

On what percentage does each part [cpu/gpu/ram] affect the frame rate? @aliashubert

emilyquirq and GuneetSingh like this.