Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

【Bones Stimulator】- Make your animations more fun with additive procedural animation!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FimpossibleCreations, Jul 24, 2018.

1. FimpossibleCreations

FimpossibleCreations

Bones Stimulator is package with two components, attach them to bones, enter playmode and tweak parameters to your likes.

Components are dedicated to use on skinned renderer's bones to make animations more attractive. Components behaves like additive animation.

> Link To Asset Store <

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    Ony, eaque, dearamy and 2 others like this.
  2. randoalb

randoalb

Anyway to test this before purchase

3. FimpossibleCreations

FimpossibleCreations

I would be happy if there was fair way to do this, but there is not :(
    I could make special trial which would be obfuscated and without some parameters in the inspector, but don't know when I would have time to do this.

4. metaphysician

metaphysician

i'm sort of in the same situation, where i'm interested but not sure yet. is it possible you could give a link to the documentation or manual? there doesn't seem to be a video for Bones Stimulator showing how it's used (as opposed to other (assumedly) more popular Assets like the Tail Animator), etc. any of those things would be very helpful.

on another note, i've been searching around for a way to achieve bone transforms layered over a humanoid Mecanim animation. there's a few threads in the Animation section where it seems they've been asking the Mecanim devs working for Unity if they will support bone scaling for humanoid animations. it seems i'm one of a small handful of folks that would find interest in a tool to provide a workaround.

i'm fairly sure that the Bones Stimulator is altering transforms in a simple repetitive way like an oscillator, and not in a way that would allow stretchy animation where the values don't propagate.

FEATURE REQUEST: would it be possible to update the Bones Stimulator to act in a AnimationCurve driven one shot mode, so that it could conceivably be used in sync with an animation? being able to say, scale bones at will via an Animation Event or a Playable Event would be helpful at least. i realize that you are busy with other projects, and this product isn't your current focus, but just being able to publicly call a method that would perform bone transform values over a specified time via a curve would be a big plus.

for my purposes i would like to be able to hook the bone transforms directly to the humanoid animation, and sync it frequently, if not every frame, and also compensate for the value propagation down a transform chain. this would give you stretchy bones and many other fluid-like animations. i'm planning on looking into this myself, but having at least some timed bone transform ability available would be a great start.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  5. FimpossibleCreations

FimpossibleCreations

It's pretty simple package so I didn't create documentation for that ;)
    If you willing so, you can mail me mesh with animation you are not sure if it will work, I can apply bones stimulator to it and send you video to show how it works ;)

6. kilik128

kilik128

realy cool maybie i will need little healp

7. evilangel89

evilangel89

Would this work on 2d bones? Fun stuff.

8. FimpossibleCreations

FimpossibleCreations

Yes, but if you use 2D bones it might not, 2D bones have some weird execution order and I couldn't get it right last time I tried to implement it.

9. FimpossibleCreations

FimpossibleCreations

ftejada, StevenPicard and SilverStorm like this.
  10. SilverStorm

SilverStorm

Ah yes you never cease to amaze me! The last part of that video with the jump animation feeling more fluid with that squash and stretch was exactly what I was looking for.

*By the way I did not see that video on the asset store page.

11. RafaelGuimaraesBarbosa

RafaelGuimaraesBarbosa

Hi, Bones Stimulator is compatible with the puppertMaster asset?

12. FimpossibleCreations

FimpossibleCreations

Yeah I had to wait for review by Unity Curators to approve store page update with video.

As far as I tested it was working ;)

13. khos

khos

H there, I purchased recently trying to make it work on my invector 3rd person controller asset, but the player just does not move at all. If I disable the bones stimulator script all is ok.. no errors..any ideas would be useful.

14. FimpossibleCreations

FimpossibleCreations

You adding the component to character bones?
    Please check demo example model.
    Bones Stimulator is using keyframe animations to drive itself, if there is not keyframe animation it stays in one place (local) following it's parent transform motion, so if you add it to main character transform it will not move (constantly snapping to initial local position)

15. RafaelGuimaraesBarbosa

RafaelGuimaraesBarbosa

It worked perfectly, along with the puppet master it became more realistic, thank you.

FimpossibleCreations likes this.
  16. ftejada

ftejada

Hi @FimpossibleCreations !!!
    I have a question before buying ... how is this asset different from the "Tail Animator"?
    Can the same things be done with Tail Animator?

Why buy Bone Simulator if I already have Tail Animator?

I'm sorry about the questions but it seems to me that they do the same and I don't know how buying Bone Simulator would benefit me ...
    Could you inform me of the differences and improvements between them? I am not sure

Cheers

17. FimpossibleCreations

FimpossibleCreations

This packages use different logics for procedural animation, you can't get limb-like behaviour with tail animator like in bones stimulator, and you can't get as smooth tail motion with bones stimulator.

You can apply bone stimulator to tail but it can provide a bit glitchy jumpy movement when rotation/movement goes too sudden on the model (if there are many bones)

Bones Stimulator logics works best on few-bones chains and tail animator works best with more bones in chain.

ftejada likes this.
  18. ftejada

ftejada

Ok. Thanks

Other questions @FimpossibleCreations .... Do you plan to release these assets for Unreal Engine ???

19. FimpossibleCreations

FimpossibleCreations

I was planning and I was actually doing some research for that, but working with Unreal Engine is really slow for me, I might give it fourth chance someday soon (yes, there was many attempts to use this engine but no success :D)

ftejada likes this.
  20. ftejada

ftejada

Although I already have your assets for Unity, if you take out your SpineAnimator assets, etc, etc, for UE you already have a buyer ...

Cheers

21. Hazneliel

Hazneliel

Hello, I see a property called "Animate Physics" but I cannot find any documentation of what it does, I hope you can clarify what is it for.
    upload_2021-2-3_11-21-20.png

Thanks

22. FimpossibleCreations

FimpossibleCreations

When you enable "Animate Physics" mode in Unity's Animator you should enable this toggle.
    There is tooltip when you enter mouse on this field.

upload_2021-2-3_18-23-29.png

Hazneliel likes this.
  23. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

This does look really, really impressive!
    One thing I wonder though, what happens if you use an IK component to move the bones at runtime in non pre-animated ways? Like having the character grab something at the cursor position. Will your system still prevent that the hand clips through an obstacle in the way for example?

24. JuanGuzmanH

JuanGuzmanH

HI. It seems like there is a problem just after importing. Two erros con the console:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Assets\FImpossible Creations\Editor\Plugins - Editor - Animating\Bones Stimulator\BonesStimulator.Editor.cs(9,51): error CS0118: 'Editor' is a namespace but is used like a type
    and

Code (CSharp):
    1. Assets\FImpossible Creations\Editor\Plugins - Editor - Animating\Bones Stimulator\BonesStimulator.Editor.cs(19,30): error CS0115: 'BonesStimulator_Editor.OnInspectorGUI()': no suitable method found to override

25. FimpossibleCreations

FimpossibleCreations

The custom collision algorithm in the plugin is very simple and unfortunately there is risk to make ik clip through obstacles. (also to make bones stimulation affect IK animation, you need to adjust execution order of bones stimulator component to be executed after IK algorithm, you can change DefaultExecutionOrder in BonesStimulator.cs file)

If you need it with physical precision, then my Ragdoll Animator could be better choice.
    In newest version you have possibility to animate just single limb (choose bones) with Ragdoll Animator instead of whole body.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
    DragonCoder likes this.
  26. FimpossibleCreations

FimpossibleCreations

It looks like some exception error since there are no troubles when importing plugin to an empty project.
    What version of unity you use? You have my other plugins in your project?

27. demimonde

demimonde

This is a really great tool! I'm using it for 2d with sprite skin bones and it works really well. However, I would love to have an option to keep rotation enabled, but prevent rotation on the Y and X axis. Do you think that's possible? For 2d that would be ideal.

Right now, when I flip the root bone's parent Y rotation to 180, there's an awkward transition on the stimulated bones that rotates the sprite on the Y axis. But this isn't desired with sprites and could just be removed.

28. FimpossibleCreations

FimpossibleCreations

Hello and thanks!
    Locking rotation axis is possible with my other plugin "Tail Animator", I just need to implement this feature also for the bones stimulator soon.

demimonde likes this.
  29. joshcamas

joshcamas

Hello,
    Great addon, but I'm having an issue.
    I'm wanting to add the stimulation two arms, which works fun until I have a two handed weapon, such as a longsword or bow. Since the arms stimulate separately, this causes the arm that does not have the weapon attached to it to move away from the weapon.

Is there some way to make a bone keep its position in relation to another bone? In this case, have the left hand always stay in the same position in relation to the right hand.

I'm guessing this isn't a feature, and would require annoying changes, since in this case it'd need to run the right hand stimulator first to ensure things move correctly.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
  30. jimmying

jimmying

Hi, is it possible to limit the rotation or translation? Also I see that above you mentioned that you might be adding ability to lock rotation axis? Is that happening? Thanks

31. FimpossibleCreations

FimpossibleCreations

Thanks. The plugin can't solve such animation by itself, but the solution would be using arm IK on one of the arms. You would need to get some IK plugin, create IK point on sword handle and attach one of the hands to it.
    Bones Stimulator motion is using execution order -6, so if IK plugin executes earlier you will need to adjust it (to prevent overriding IK animation with bones stimulator animation), but it probably won't be required.

I did similar thing here:

But it's editor tool, not a playmode feature, but you can see how it can be done.

Hello, unfortunately there are no limits to set with Bones Stimulator plugin.
    Implementation of such features is present in my other plugin Tail Animator.
    Tail Animator is using different algorithm which doesn't work as jiggly and is not as great for few-bones-long (1 to 4 bones) chains as Bones Stimulator but offers much more customization (including axis lock).

Last edited: Dec 21, 2022
    joshcamas likes this.
  32. schema_unity

schema_unity

Hello,
    first of all thank you for this plugin. Of all the bone animation/physics plugins, I find this one the best.

However, I discovered a bug that affects performance.

In BonesStimulator.Logics.Collision.cs, the bool collisionInitialized is never set to true after initializing the colliders, meaning they will be initialized every physics update.
    This is a bit of a performance drain (0.75ms vs 0.01 via profiler), but also a smal memory leak, allocating ~7kb every frame.
    After setting the bool to true, the plugin runs flawlessly.

I hope I was able to help.

FimpossibleCreations likes this.
  33. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

@FimpossibleCreations Hey, so I'm playing around with your asset, seeing how to get it working with breast physics. I have a 3 bone setup; base, breast, and nipple on my character. The movement's awesome, so thanks for that.

The collision part is what I'm having issues with. Since I have both the breast and nipple bones added, I get 2 sphere colliders. I'm using your collider scale curve to hide the nipple collider. It looks fine in the editor view, but when I Play the scene the curve seems to get disregarded.

Is there a way to fix this issue aside from deleting the nipple bone? I like the two-bone setup for movement.

Thanks!

setup.jpg Play.jpg

34. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

@FimpossibleCreations I has been 2 weeks since I asked my question. Have any thoughts on it? Thanks.

35. FimpossibleCreations

FimpossibleCreations

Hello, sorry for late reply. I had pretty busy time and lately, I was just answering questions on discord and on the email.
    There was few issues with the collider radius display indeed. I just pushed patch update on the store, it should be available in the while.