Search Unity

Bone Controller [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Tryz, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Tryz

Tryz

Hey @AgathaCrup ,

I just answered an email about the BC with eye motion and I replied 'No it doesn't support it', but I did that because from the email I wasn't sure if they got the "hierarchy of bones". ;)

What you're saying is exactly right and since you get it, I would say 'Yes, it does'. If your eyeballs are tied to bones for rotation, than you can use the Look At motor to rotate them towards the target. In this case, you'd have one motor per eyeball and the motor would only use one bone (the eyeball bone). Then, you could set the target.

Like with the spline, you may need to adjust the rotation of the eyeball bone so the green vector points "forward"... meaning out the eye's view. That vector is what will track with the target.

This video should help with that.

I hope that makes sense. :)

2. Tryz

Tryz

Hey @samuelbrunner ,

You're definitely right about the sink and the foot-toe-distance.

This is tricky because foot IK is mean to be a 'tweak' to the skeleton and it really depends on the environment. Depending on how extreme the environment is (steep, jaggy, etc) the foot IK may not be the solution.

For example, if you look at Assassin's Creed: Odyssey they do a couple of things:

1. For steep terrain, they change the walking/running animation. For example, the animation on flat ground is different from when "walking" up a steep hill.

2. Final foot IK doesn't occur until the character stops moving. You can actually watch the feet and legs shift to the environment.

So, you want to employ these kinds of strategies. That said, in a simple environment the IK shouldn't be too bad with the animation IF you are not extending the legs to force the feet to the ground (that's a check-box). In this case, your character would look like they are ice skating.

I hope that helps.

Deleted User and hopeful like this.
  3. luniac

luniac

Regarding bone controller for VR gameplay

if i strike enemy sword or shield with my VR sword, depending on velocity of strike it would cause a Bone Controller based impact on their skeleton. And when they strike at me, id use targeting IK to adjust their aim.

A really important point is for a strong impact to displace their bone structure enough and long enough to create an opening for a subsequent strike.
    I assume playing around with Impact Motor force and dampening i can find the right balance.
    As well as playing with the targeting speeds to find a fair balance.

Is it possible to accumulate impact effect using Impact Motor, say for example the recovery from previous impact is not done yet and another impact occurs?

If the above is possible:
    Is it possible to have bone displacement threshold event type thing, say for example i create multiple impacts that push the enemy arm bone to a threshold that triggers some effect like a stagger, or weapon drop, or a new animation?

4. eblumrich

eblumrich

Hi. Nice product- the easiest Ootii integration I've experienced, so far!

However, I've encountered a quadruped issue:

Getting the head rotation and the chain drag on the tail was quick and easy- but when I brought in a foot-to-ground setup, it didn't work, until I added an additional bone controller script which used a different bone as the "root."

This just didn't seem right to me, as it would require three different controller scripts: one for the body, one for the front legs, and then another for the rear. Doing this actually causes Unity to crash- probably as it tried to reconscile multiple BC scripts working against each other.

I have not seen anyone else experiencing such an issue, so I am wondering if there is some jot or tiddle I missed, that would allow me to put all my motors into a single bone controller component?

upload_2019-1-8_18-58-38.png

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

5. Tryz

Tryz

I'd have to say that the Impact Motor isn't that advanced. I'm just adding a bit of rotation to each bone based on the impact point and power.

It doesn't accumulate the effect or anything like that. For that capability you may want to look at extending my motor or creating a custom motor that does what you want.

The motor itself wouldn't know how to do this, but you could certainly have custom code that tracks "bone hits" and then responds by triggering animations or other code. In this case, I wouldn't use Impact Motor to be the root of these responses. Instead, I'd have your "hit responder" code do it.

This is one of those things that really depends on your overall game architecture.

6. luniac

luniac

ok thanks for clarifying.

7. Tryz

Tryz

The problem is that "Foot to Ground 2 Bone" motor is built for humanoid legs which have two bones (thigh and calf). I talk about the two bone approach more in the User's Guide (page 48):
    http://www.ootii.com/Unity/BoneController/BCGuide.pdf

Quadrupeds typically have legs that are characterized by three bones and that makes the rotation spread much more difficult. I've tried using the 2 bone motor for a 3 bone setup and it just never looked good. I think it would need to be a separate motor to get realistic animal movement.

Unfortunately, I don't have a solution for animal (3 bone) legs.

I've also never put multiple BC components on a single character. I'm not sure why it would crash, but I'd definitely not recommend doing it. It would be like two components competing to control the skeleton.

8. eblumrich

eblumrich

Well, at the very least, you have confirmed that adding two of the components is just a bad idea (Like the crashes weren't enough of a message.)

I will try re-creating the foot IK within the single component, and see if I encounter further issues.

Thank you so much for your time!

Tryz likes this.
  9. chapplew

chapplew

Hi. I purchased Bone Controller a short while ago and am just now starting to look at it. I'm using Unity 2018.3.0f2. This is a new project and everything has been newly imported. When I start following the BCGuide Version 0.27, add the Pose Motor, select a bone and click the Run button in Unity, Unity crashes. It doesn't matter which bone I select. I've also tried adding the Look At Motor with the same result. If I disable the Bone Motor (uncheck the Is Enabled box), Unity doesn't crash. I tried another test by adding the Finger Pose Motor and it worked without Unity crashing. I've made sure the Root Transform is set and all appears the same as in the guide. Not sure what is going on. Thanks.

10. Tryz

Tryz

Definitely not normal. It may be an issue specific to your model.

Go ahead and email support@ootii.com and I will take a look. Please include the model and your Unity Order ID for the BC and I will look at it this weekend.

11. myownbot

myownbot

Hello all,

Sorry 'cause this might be OT.

Just wondering if there is a out-of-the-box solution to add root motion to a true raw and dirty mocap data. Not a single cycle though.

Let me explain. I kinda built a mocap suit (no kinect though, and it just werks), I managed to import this animation into Unity (actually, I was recording in Unity). Then, I converted this animation to be "humanoid" rather than just generic by means of an asset from the store.

As you can imagine my character's root is idle. I tried some tricks to nail the foot to the surface as soon as it comes close to it and then translate the root relative to it. Quite tidious as you might think.

My moves did not have a constant speed, lots of turning etc. That, why I cannot just add some root speed to have it done.

I would appreciate any piece of advice!

12. Tryz

Tryz

That's cool about the suit, but the BC wouldn't really help. I'm sorry.

myownbot likes this.
  13. mujrd4oc

mujrd4oc

hello, Tryz, i have a question.
    when i use 'finger pose motor', and i push play button at unity, it says:

/////
    MissingReferenceException: The object of type 'BoneController' has been destroyed but you are still trying to access it.
    Your script should either check if it is null or you should not destroy the object.
    com.ootii.Actors.BoneControllers.BoneController.GetBone (UnityEngine.HumanBodyBones rBone) (at Assets/ootii/Assets/BoneController/Code/Actors/BoneControllers/BoneController.cs:342)
    com.ootii.Actors.BoneControllers.FingerPoseMotor.AddBone (UnityEngine.HumanBodyBones rBoneID) (at Assets/ootii/Assets/BoneController/Code/Actors/BoneControllers/Motors/FingerPoseMotor.cs:513)
    com.ootii.Actors.BoneControllers.FingerPoseMotor.LoadBones () (at Assets/ootii/Assets/BoneController/Code/Actors/BoneControllers/Motors/FingerPoseMotor.cs:312)
    com.ootii.Actors.BoneControllers.BoneControllerMotor.UpdateMotor () (at Assets/ootii/Assets/BoneController/Code/Actors/BoneControllers/BoneControllerMotor.cs:286)
    com.ootii.Actors.BoneControllers.BoneController.LateUpdate () (at Assets/ootii/Assets/BoneController/Code/Actors/BoneControllers/BoneController.cs:790)
    BoneControllerEditor.OnDisable () (at Assets/ootii/Editor/BoneController/Actors/BoneControllerEditor.cs:230)

////
    it happens whether i check 'run in editor' or not, both.
    of course, the motor does not work.

what do i have to do? i use unity 2018.3.11f1

14. Tryz

Tryz

Hi,

There must be something in your scene that is destroying the GO the BC is on. I'm not seeing the issue here and no one has ever reported this before.

Can you open my test scene and try that? Feel free to email me at tim@tryzbiak.me and I will help how I can.

15. mujrd4oc

mujrd4oc

hello, Tryz, i have a question.

if i wanna use some function like onTriggerEnter with the bone collider which i set at IK Bones,
    what do i have to do?

16. Tryz

Tryz

Hey @mujrd4oc ,

OnTriggerEnter is a standard Unity event. So, you can use that with any collider per Unity's standard rules. Just follow Unity's collision action matrix.

I manipulate the bones in LateUpdate. The problem you may have is that Unity stores the position and rotation of the colliders before LateUpdate. So, internally the collider information doesn't change when I rotate the bones. You can see that here: Order of Execution.

I'm not sure if you can force Unity to re-evaluate the colliders after LateUpdate. Unfortunately, this would be an issue with any solution that does FK/IK after unity processes physics.

17. mujrd4oc

mujrd4oc

oh i mean, um...

for example, normal unity colliders (like sphere, box...etc) must be with some 'gameobject,' and when i use script(like OnTriggerEnter,) i just can use that with 'hanging the script' at the same gameobject which the collider is placed.

but the collider with BC, the collider placed in IK Bones tab, and i mean i cannot find that 'location' to put my script... how can i approach that collider with script?

18. Tryz

Tryz

The bones are just GameObjects. So, you put the scripts on the "bones".

So, the "LeftLeg" bone can have collider and any other scripts you want on them. You just have to place your script on each of the bones you want it to be on.

The BC has code that cycles through the bones and adds/removes colliders for each bone. That's just something I wrote that goes through each of the GameObjects (aka bones).

Is that what you mean?

19. mujrd4oc

mujrd4oc

hmm i mean this collider::

1.PNG

20. Tryz

Tryz

That isn't a collider. That's a setting that I use to add the collider onto the "Hips" GameObject.

Just go to your "Hips" GameObject and add the script you want. Really nothing complex about it; this is standard Unity stuff.

21. mujrd4oc

mujrd4oc

cannot find anything under 'hips'
    2.PNG 3.PNG

22. Tryz

Tryz

Your screen shot says "head".

Just add a collider and code wherever you want. It's just standard Unity stuff. No Bone Controller needed or involved.

I'm really not sure how to help.

23. mujrd4oc

mujrd4oc

in that screenshot, the boxes with blue line around the humanoid is the collider made by this one : (set collider) 4.PNG

and i can see the settings of collider at this tab :
    6.PNG

This is collider (set by bone controller) right? absolutely, i think this is collider.

but i can not find any 'collider component' at anywhere,

as you know, you made the demos of bone controller. and of course i saw that demo, especially the 'skeleton raycast' and i thought that blue lined transparent box is collider...from this point, i think i misunderstood it..but if that one is not collider, what is that? how can i use it ?

anyway, thanks for ur kind answer,

24. Tryz

Tryz

Is see. You're not checking the "Force True Colliders" with the "Set Colliders" button. Please see the note above the buttons and the documentation (page 25).

If you want to use Unity's OnTriggerEnter event, you want to use Unity's colliders.

First, press "Remove Colliders" to be safe. Then, check "Force True Colliders" and press "Add Colliders". That will add Unity colliders per the documentation and then you can add your scripts.

The other option is to not have me create the colliders at all. Instead, just go to each bone you want a collider on and add it yourself the standard Unity way. This gives you complete control over where colliders are added and how.

TeagansDad likes this.
  25. mujrd4oc

mujrd4oc

oh you are gonna say, pseudo collider cannot be used with onTriggerEnter or else..i understand.,

thank you, again, thank you for ur kind answer.

Tryz likes this.
  26. Dorumeka

Dorumeka

Hello, will this asset the be good for the following scenario?

The model is sitting/lying down with both feet planted on the ground. The hip must be movable by the player in only one axis. Moving the hip is only possible until a maximum distance, to prevent the feet from raising above the ground. All of this while collision is still active, so other parts of the model don't clip through the wall or chair.

It is for an "adult" game, so maybe that helps you visualize better the case.

Thank you.

27. Tryz

Tryz

Hi @Dorumeka ,

None of the existing motions would do this. That means you'd have coding to do in order to create your own motion.

You might find another asset that makes your life easier.

28. castor76

castor76

Can this asset do aim ik ? meaning having a rifle aim pose, and the body looks at the weapon's target point. With both hands on the custom weapon attach points.

29. Tryz

Tryz

No. It won't pull the arms (wrist, elbow, shoulder) like you're wanting. It will only do the wrist and elbow and that won't be enough for a rifle.

30. heXzoN

heXzoN

I just installed this Asset and have strange issue - I can't see bones in the scene. Here is a screenshot: https://prnt.sc/r434mc
    As you can see everything is enabled for the bones to show, but for some reason they aren't. Can you assist to fix this?

31. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

@heXzoN - I'm guessing that changes to the Unity 2019.3 editor UI have broken the method by which Bone Controller draws the bones in the scene view. I haven't even installed 2019.3 yet, so that's only a guess, but it still works fine in 2019.2.

I'll install it today and have a look. When I figure out what's causing the problem, I'll get back to you.

hopeful likes this.
  32. heXzoN

heXzoN

You are right. I reset Editor Layout settings to default and it fixed it.
    I've recently updated to 2019.3, maybe it broke something. What is important - its working now, thanks :)

hopeful likes this.
  33. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

No problem! I didn't really do anything though. :cool:

I did create a new 2019.3 project and import Bone Controller, but I wasn't able to replicate the issue and no bright ideas were coming to mind as to what might be causing it. Glad it works for you now!

34. Syberex

Syberex

Hi. I recently bought a Bone Controller and am just starting to look at it. I'm using Unity 2019.3.0f6. I try to select bones. Hand tool is enabled then I click on the bone and nothing happends! Very seldom one of the bones became selected but not the right one (not under the cursor). It can be fixed? I tried this with my model and with DefaultAvatar.

35. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

@Syberex I haven't really used 2019.3 much yet, so it's quite possible that something in the new Editor theme is causing an issue. I'm away with the family for a couple of days, but I'll see if I can reproduce the problem when I get back.

36. Syberex

Syberex

I've used ortho camera instead perspective and the issue happends by this!

37. mujrd4oc

mujrd4oc

nice to see ya,
    i just have a question ::
    how can i approach the bone value in unity inspector(check the screenshot) from visual studio?

for example ::

IBC01 = BoneCtrlObj01.GetComponent<BoneController>(); /// get the bone controller

SAMCam01 = IBC01.GetMotor("SwingCamMtr"); ////get the motor

SAMCam01.???

Attached Files:

• info.PNG
      info.PNG
      File size:
      38.5 KB
      Views:
  38. heXzoN

heXzoN

I would like to understand how to use Impact Motor to simulate Sword hit.
    As far as I understand from manuals - I need to use RaycastImpact() to see if a swing hits a bone. It sounds easy for something like a bullet, because bullet is going a straight line with a ray. However something like a sword has a long edge with possible multiple impact points. So should I use multiple RaycastImpact() calls from multiple points along the sword edge or is there an easier way ?

39. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

Sorry for the delay. If you're trying to access an individual bone, you can call the GetBone() method on any BoneControllerMotor:

Code (CSharp):
    1. var lSpine = SAMCam01.GetBone(HumanBodyBones.Spine);
    HumanBodyBones is a Unity enum for identifying Humanoid rig bones.

40. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

I don't think there's an easier way to do it using the included Impact Motor as-is. You might get better results by building a custom motor (based on the code in ImpactMotor) that just tests for collisions instead of raycasting. Are you using Motion Controller and the melee combat system from the Sword & Shield Motion Pack, or are you using a different character controller and combat system?

I admit that I haven't really tried doing very much with the Impact Motor yet. If @Tryz is available, he may respond with a better answer.

The Impact Motor should probably have support for collision-based impacts. I'll add this to my to-do list for a future update.

41. heXzoN

heXzoN

Got it, thanks. Currently I am using Motion Controller and Bone Controller with my own Combat system (without Sword&Shield Motion Pack).

Never built custom motions/motors yet. Btw if I want to build custom motor/motion, is it be possible to create it within my project folders and make it access / see all project namespace/folders?

42. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

Yes. If you're using assembly definition files in your project folders, you'll just need to add a reference to the ootii.asmdef.

If you're not, then your files get compiled into the default Assembly-CSharp.dll, which is able to reference all assemblies in the project. So you won't have to configure anything.

43. khos

khos

Hi,
    I am interested in your asset, looks quite nice. I am trying to simulate hair with physics, think someone headbanging to heavy metal music. Can your asset help with that?

I see from your initial post it allows:
    -Create bones from static meshes (no vertex weighting)
    -Physics based bone chain dragging (pony tails, tails, ropes, etc)

So if I have a static hair mesh (child of head in animated/ik humanoid model) that can be used to create the bones, then apply physics to that hair mesh. Could you foresee this working?

Also can this be used for physics on a IK/ragdoll, e.g. if the human model runs into a wall it will fall or be affected?

Thanks in advance.

44. amynox

amynox

Hi,

From time to time i'm getting this error ( Unity 2019.3.14f):

Code (Boo):
    1. FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.
    2. System.Number.ParseSingle (System.String value, System.Globalization.NumberStyles options, System.Globalization.NumberFormatInfo numfmt) (at <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0)
    3. System.Single.Parse (System.String s, System.Globalization.NumberStyles style, System.Globalization.NumberFormatInfo info) (at <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0)
    4. System.Single.Parse (System.String s) (at <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0)
    5. com.ootii.Geometry.QuaternionExt.FromString (UnityEngine.Quaternion rThis, System.String rString) (at Assets/ootii/Assets/Framework_v1/Code/Geometry/QuaternionExt.cs:392)
    6. com.ootii.Data.Serializers.JSONSerializer.DeserializeValue (System.Type rType, com.ootii.Utilities.JSONNode rValue) (at Assets/ootii/Assets/Framework_v1/Code/Data/Serializers/JSONSerializer.cs:578)
    7. com.ootii.Data.Serializers.JSONSerializer.Deserialize (System.String rJSON) (at Assets/ootii/Assets/Framework_v1/Code/Data/Serializers/JSONSerializer.cs:306)
    8. com.ootii.Data.Serializers.JSONSerializer.DeserializeValue (System.Type rType, com.ootii.Utilities.JSONNode rValue) (at Assets/ootii/Assets/Framework_v1/Code/Data/Serializers/JSONSerializer.cs:746)
    9. com.ootii.Data.Serializers.JSONSerializer.DeserializeValue (System.Type rType, com.ootii.Utilities.JSONNode rValue) (at Assets/ootii/Assets/Framework_v1/Code/Data/Serializers/JSONSerializer.cs:685)
    10. com.ootii.Data.Serializers.JSONSerializer.Deserialize (System.String rJSON) (at Assets/ootii/Assets/Framework_v1/Code/Data/Serializers/JSONSerializer.cs:306)
    11. com.ootii.Data.Serializers.JSONSerializer.Deserialize[T] (System.String rJSON) (at Assets/ootii/Assets/Framework_v1/Code/Data/Serializers/JSONSerializer.cs:233)
    12. com.ootii.Actors.BoneControllers.BoneController.OnAfterDeserializeCore () (at Assets/ootii/Assets/BoneController/Code/Actors/BoneControllers/BoneController.cs:1575)
    13. com.ootii.Actors.BoneControllers.BoneController.Awake () (at Assets/ootii/Assets/BoneController/Code/Actors/BoneControllers/BoneController.cs:196)
    All the params in motor look fine ....

Any help please

45. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

Do you live in a region that uses a comma as a decimal separator (as opposed to a period)? There were a number of issues with the custom JSON serializer once people started switching to the .NET 4.x Equivalent scripting runtime (which is now the default). I missed a few pieces of code that needed updating in my first pass, and I'm still seeing an odd piece of code here and there that needs to be updated as well.

I have one possible solution: Edit the file Assets/ootii/Assets/Framework_v1/Geometry/QuaternionHelper.cs. Lines 390 to 395 (part of the FromString method) currently read:

Code (CSharp):
    1. rThis.x = float.Parse(lTemp[0]);
    2.             rThis.y = float.Parse(lTemp[1]);
    3.             rThis.z = float.Parse(lTemp[2]);
    4.             rThis.w = float.Parse(lTemp[3]);
    5.             return rThis;
    Replace those lines with this:

Code (CSharp):
    1.             float.TryParse(lTemp[0], NumberStyles.Float, CultureInfo.InvariantCulture, out rThis.x);
    2.             float.TryParse(lTemp[1], NumberStyles.Float, CultureInfo.InvariantCulture, out rThis.y);
    3.             float.TryParse(lTemp[2], NumberStyles.Float, CultureInfo.InvariantCulture, out rThis.z);
    4.             float.TryParse(lTemp[3], NumberStyles.Float, CultureInfo.InvariantCulture, out rThis.w);
    5.             return rThis;
    Can you try this and let me know if it fixes the problem?

amynox and Tryz like this.
  46. khos

khos

Hi, can anyone advise on the above?

47. Tryz

Tryz

Hey @khos ,

For hair it won't work like that. In order for your "static hair mesh" to actually bounce and move, it would need to be a "skinned mesh". That means it already has vertex weights applied using something like 3DS Max or Maya.

For a rag-doll, you would have to create a custom "bone motor" for that and that would be complicated. So, out-of-the-box I would say 'no'.

I'm sorry.

khos likes this.
  48. amynox

amynox

It works ! Thank you

Tryz and TeagansDad like this.
  49. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

Great! I'll make sure it gets into the next update.

50. dmenefee

dmenefee

Hello! Quick question, I hope. What would I need to do in order to incorporate a Bone Controller motor in a Motion Controller motion? I'm thinking about an Interact motion that involves picking something up, and I could use the limb reach motor to good effect. One approach I'm thinking of, but am not sure isn't a rathole, is to use an animation event coupled with a snippet of handler code that sets the target for the limb reach motor. Thoughts?