Search Unity

Bolt project upgrade to visual scripting project

Discussion in 'Visual Scripting' started by CoolCat518, Mar 17, 2021.

1. CoolCat518

CoolCat518

Hello everyone! My current project is developed with bolt 1.4.13, I would like to know if the old bolt project will be compatible with the new visual scripting version after unity2021 is released?

vovkas likes this.
  2. ericb_unity

ericb_unity

Unity Technologies

Yes it will, but you should wait for Visual scripting 1.6 to get the automatic upgrade from 1.43 asset store to built in version.

vovkas and CoolCat518 like this.
  3. CoolCat518

CoolCat518

That sounds greate!

4. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hmm,

This is not the case, my project broke with a ton of errors after import...

Thanks,
    jrDev

5. theor-unity

theor-unity

Unity Technologies

which version ?

6. crafTDev

crafTDev

I went from 2020 to 2021 Unity.

Thanks,
    jrDev

7. theor-unity

theor-unity

Unity Technologies

sorry, I wasn't clear. could you give me:
    - the exact versions of unity (eg. 2021.1b1)
    - the bolt version you're using (1.4.13 ?)
    - the unity visual scripting version present in the 2021 build (1.5.0-pre or 1.6.0-pre)

8. crafTDev

crafTDev

I am using 2021.1.0f1.
    VS 1.5.2
    Bolt 1.4.3

The initial errors seemed to have been linked to Bolt Addon, so when I removed that the errors disappeared.
    But now I only have this in my inspector:
    upload_2021-3-26_14-1-7.png

With no way to open them. Is there no upgrade steps?

Thanks,
    jrDev

9. ericb_unity

ericb_unity

Unity Technologies

VS 1.5.2 don't have the automatic upgrade path in it. you will need to use 1.6.0-pre3 to get it to work. You will also need to get the Bolt Addons that is compatible with unity visual scripting, you will need to switch to this version. https://github.com/RealityStop/Bolt.Addons.Community#UVSsupport. I don't know if it is working with unity visual scripting.

10. crafTDev

crafTDev

I will try this!

Thanks,
    jrDev

11. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey @ericb_unity,

Besides a few errors and warnings that showed when I upgraded which were clearable, it looks to have worked!

Though I do get these warnings when I am in Play mode: "Could not load connection between 'xmin' of 'GraphInput#feee7...' and '%min' of 'InvokeMember#4ec8a...'.". Don't know what they mean. I have been making posts on the prerelease Discord channel on these!

Thanks,
    jrDev

12. ericb_unity

ericb_unity

Unity Technologies

It kinda look like warnings from random nodes that got updated in the api. Normally you should be able to double click on the warning and it should open the graph with the problem. The node will show in yellow.

crafTDev likes this.
  13. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey,

I tried the new versions (Unity 2021.1 and VS1.6.1) with the upgrading and got the prompt to migrate so I did. What are the next steps? Do I remove the Ludiq and Install Bolt folders? The last time I did it messed up the graphs even though it said they were migrated. I am also getting this:
    upload_2021-6-9_12-5-11.png

So now I can't even view the graphs in the new Visual script window?
    Seriously though, where is the official documentation on upgrading projects?

Thanks,
    jrDev

14. DinosCharmGames

DinosCharmGames

We are migrating from Bolt 1.4.15 to Unity Visual Scripting 1.6.1 in Unity 2021.1.10f1. After installing UVS and removing Bolt our Flow Machines are all missing scripts. What are we supposed to do here?

Should we be still be able to run Bolt if we remove UVS? We were having serialization issues with our flow machines when doing that.

Ignacii likes this.
  15. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hello,

This is an issue with 2021.1 I have been having. 2021.2 seems to fix this issue though.

PS: Make sure if using Bolt Addons it is updated to the UVS version.

Thanks,
    jrDev

16. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

Are you guys using any custom coded C# nodes? Either your own or 3rd party ones like Community Addons pack nodes? A graph will fail to deserialize if there are issues with a custom node. Custom nodes also need to be migrated to UnityVS for serialization to resolve correctly. The broken graphs will become readable once the custom nodes are migrated to UnityVS.

Bolt should be removed after setting up UnityVS if it's not removed automatically already. And Bolt is not officially supported on 2021+ versions of Unity. Although technically it might still work if you remove UnityVS package. Running both at the same time is not intended and likely not possible, UnityVS should supersede Bolt.

17. DinosCharmGames

DinosCharmGames

We do have a lot of custom nodes. Seems we had to run the missing script resolver a few times from the project settings to get it to convert. Now we are missing static properties in the fuzzy finder that we had access to before in Bolt. Anything special we have to do for those?

I can see the setter for a static property but not the getter.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  18. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

By custom nodes I mean custom implemented nodes, not reflected nodes. Reflected nodes should just work even if they're not added in Unit Options. The custom node migration typically involves switching from Ludiq and Bolt namespaces to Unity.VisualScripting. And perhaps some types would need to be changed according to the new Unity naming scheme if there are still errors in console.

As for the missing static properties, did you rebuild unit options from Project Settings? Unit Options also reset in the upgrade process, that part didn't transfer so if you added custom types manually, you have to add them again. Or if you used the [IncludeInSettings] attribute, then it's migrated from Ludiq namespace to Unity.VisualScripting so that has to be changed manually.