Search Unity

Bolt project navigation questions

Discussion in 'Visual Scripting' started by apalasthy, Sep 17, 2020.

1. apalasthy

apalasthy

Hi, I'm currently diving into a project that uses Bolt and have couple of questions on how to navigate through it.

1. How to see usages of method from code Bolt?
    In my coding IDE (Rider) I can click on a method and see all usages of that method across the code. When I use a method from code in Bolt graph, these usages are not shown. How can I see which methods from a class are used in what Bolt graph?

2. How to see what triggers and what listens to custom Bolt events?
    Similar to the question above but this all inside the Bolt environment. When I create a custom event and trigger and listen to it at multiple places how can I get the list of all elements that trigger and that listen to this specific custom event?

3.How to go to code implementation from Bolt?
    This is not as important as the previous questions but it could speed up the process of studying the project. When I see that there is a method being used, what is the fastest way to get to that method?
    Right now I have to open the IDE, find the class by name, and find the method by name.
    In the inspector you can click "Edit script" and it opens it for you. Is there something like this within Bolt?

Sorry if these are basic questions but I was unable to find documentation on this.

2. Ex-Crow

Ex-Crow

1. This is not possible in Bolt (or any other VS scripting tool in the asset store, as far as I know. Perhaps Flow Canvas Graph Explorer covers this, I'm not sure.)
    2. Unfortunately, this also is not being tracked in any shape or form.
    3. Are you talking about reflected methods in Bolt graphs that are exposed via the Unit Options Wizard? There are no direct links to C# scripts for reflected methods. You have to find the class and method manually. That applies to custom implemented units as well.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    apalasthy likes this.
  3. apalasthy

apalasthy

That is unfortunate. Is there any pattern on how to maintain a group of VS graphs interconnected via custom events?

4. Ex-Crow

Ex-Crow

Custom events connect via having the same GameObject references. So you can point the trigger to the custom event, the custom event to the trigger, or point both to some 3rd object that serves as a sort of event manager.

Beyond that, there’s nothing much you can do besides implementing your own events system.

Another suggestion would be to hold custom event strings in Application variables and create Super Unit macros that would include both the variable and trigger/custom event unit. This way you avoid some loose typing issues of Bolt’s Custom Events while still having the reusability of macros.

I do hope they'll rework the custom events system for the 2021 engine integrated version of Bolt. It doesn't scale well at all.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    apalasthy likes this.