Search Unity

Official Bolt Price Change Announcement

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by UnityHas, Jul 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UnityHas

UnityHas

Unity Technologies

A short while ago, Unity announced the acquisition of the Bolt visual scripting Asset from developer Ludiq. Now that the integration and technical transition of Bolt to Unity is complete, we are very happy to announce the next step in our plan to deliver visual scripting to all Unity creators:

Bolt visual scripting is now included in all Unity plans, at no additional cost.

We believe the world is a better place with more creators in it, and we know that visual scripting is a critical part of bringing ideas to life quickly in Unity.

Bolt is now available for download by all Unity users through the Unity Asset Store. Users who purchased Bolt after Unity made the acquisition announcement on May 4, 2020 will receive a refund in the amount of their purchase. We’ll be sending an email to those users within the next two weeks.

The next version of Bolt, Bolt 2, which will bring improvements in capability, scalability, performance, and ease of use, is in development. When it arrives, Bolt 2 will also be included in all Unity plans at no additional cost. Stay tuned for more information later this year.

We are committed to providing a great visual scripting experience for users for all types of projects, regardless of the architecture. Bolt accelerates this mission towards providing that experience. We’re also working to refine our various node-based tools to improve the general user experience progressively, over time, across the Editor.

We’ll have more to share about our work on visual scripting in the coming months. If you’d like to get involved with our Bolt development teams and learn more about involvement in our alpha and beta programs, come talk to us here. You can also join the general conversation below or in the Discord.

FAQ

What is Bolt and how does it work?

Bolt is a visual scripting asset for Unity. It enables Unity users to create logic for games or applications without writing code. Bolt has visual, node-based graphs that both programmers and non-programmers can use to design final logic or to quickly create prototypes. Bolt also features an API that programmers can use for more advanced tasks, or to create custom nodes that can be used by other team members. To learn more about Bolt, find tutorials, and find links to the community, check out the Bolt Asset Store page.

Why did Unity acquire Bolt?
    We believe the world is a better place with more creators in it, and we know that visual scripting is a critical part of being able to create amazing things with Unity. We want people to feel empowered to make amazing things, and Bolt is a way to accelerate that mission.

Will this acquisition change Unity’s own visual scripting tool development?
    Unity remains committed to providing a core experience of visual scripting in Unity for all types of projects, regardless of the architecture. We are actively working on refining the synergy between our various node-based tools so that visual programming is progressively unified across the engine.

Did Unity acquire Bolt’s publisher, Ludiq?
    No, Unity has acquired only the Bolt asset.

Is Bolt visual scripting now included in all Unity plans, at no additional cost?
    Yes, Unity users with any plan can now download and use Bolt at no additional cost. This includes the Personal Edition, Student and Education plans, and Plus, Pro, and Enterprise subscriptions.

How do I get access to Bolt?
    Users can download Bolt through the Unity Asset Store.

What is the Unity Asset Store?
    The Unity Asset Store is a marketplace with thousands of free or affordably priced assets that save critical time and effort for Unity creators. It is a powerful resource for successful Unity developers, with over 60,000 packs featuring tools and editor extensions, 3D and 2D art, cinematic quality music and sound effects, and more.

When will Bolt 2 be available and where can I learn more?
    Bolt 2 is currently in development, and we’re working to deliver a high-quality release and a great experience for our users. We’ll share more details as the release approaches. Join the conversation in the forums to learn more.

Should I use Bolt for my project or wait for Bolt 2?
    We invite all users to use Bolt for projects expected to ship with Unity 2018, 2019 or 2020. Unity is committed to supporting Bolt for the duration of those LTS lifecycles, while Bolt 2 is expected to take over for future versions. Unity will communicate which version of Bolt is recommended for future LTS versions as they become available, to help our users make informed decisions for their projects.

Will content authored with Bolt be compatible with Bolt 2?
    While Bolt 2 will provide improvements over Bolt, it is a major re-architecture and we anticipate there will be significant effort required to convert content made in Bolt to Bolt 2. We are exploring options on how to minimize the conversion effort.

I purchased Bolt after Unity announced the acquisition. Will I receive a refund?
    Yes, users who purchased Bolt after Unity announced the acquisition of Bolt on May 4, 2020 will receive a refund matching the amount of their Bolt purchase. Expect an email communication with more information within the next two weeks.

How can I get started with Bolt?
    First, download Bolt from the Unity Asset Store. You can then get started with a tutorial, and join the conversation in the forums or on Discord.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    Sarai, AntonioModer, leni8ec and 16 others like this.
  2. WMorais

WMorais

Wow!!!! Awsome!

LaurentGibert likes this.
  3. vx4

vx4

4. macish

macish

Nice one, this was the only choice that made sense.

5. EnderManWiggins

EnderManWiggins

How will I get my refund? Will be in pay pal or is the money just going to be added to my unity account?

6. UnityHas

UnityHas

Unity Technologies

If you purchased Bolt after the acquisition then the money will be returned to your original payment method.

skycc and LaurentGibert like this.
  7. EnderManWiggins

EnderManWiggins

Okay thanks

8. RoyS

RoyS

Whoo-hoo! Unity you're awesome!

MileyUnity and LaurentGibert like this.
  9. WaveCave

WaveCave

Super awesome to see that!

But you didn't change the forum link in the asset description after you made this new post, is still link to that closed one ;)

Also, is there an offline documentation available (when the connecting speed is slow)?

10. AmitSMG

AmitSMG

Hi,
    Just downloaded Bolt it looks great! but I'm having some technical issues, where should I post them ? everything seems to be linking back to this post.

11. LaurentGibert

LaurentGibert

Administrator

Hey @AmitSMG, you can obviously share some of this with us here, start your own post under the asset store forum, or join the discord server to ask the community (some devs are here too): https://discord.gg/3urcUKH

12. RoyS

RoyS

"Also, is there an offline documentation available (when the connecting speed is slow)?"
    I second this request made by WaveCave.

13. CillianCreates

CillianCreates

Awesome to hear this change. As someone who bought and used Bolt while Ludiq owned it, I am happy to have supported a brilliant asset and feel like my money was well spent. I hope it's journey gets even better, I can't wait for Bolt 2. Hope its future is bright with you folks at Unity, IMO it going free was the best possible outcome, it can grow so much more, and the potential for collaboration will be so much better.

LaurentGibert and UnityHas like this.
  14. rsodre

rsodre

Don't quite answer the question.
    Are you trying to say Bolt and current Unity's solution will be merged?

AlanMattano and LaurentGibert like this.
  15. vx4

vx4

Maybe you can get them in offline unity doc ver 2019.3
    Which can download from here

RoyS and LaurentGibert like this.
  16. noahx

noahx

Hi. Where is the information about "updating" Bolt for users who have projects using Bolt from Ludiq? Because Bolt now gets downloaded to a different folder than Ludiq
    Thanks

17. UnityHas

UnityHas

Unity Technologies

Hey Rsodre,

Not necessarily. We don't currently have plans to "merge" them, but we are working towards a more seamless experience between the two solutions. At the moment we don't have any details to provide.

AlanMattano, RoyS and rsodre like this.
  18. UnityHas

UnityHas

Unity Technologies

If you use Unity 2019.4 and Bolt 1, it should still import into a Ludiq folder so there should be no problems upgrading. Please post screenshots on how to reproduce your issue.

19. Jmanoj0905

Jmanoj0905

OMG !!! I always wanted bolt, Thanks Unity for making it real

LaurentGibert, AskCarol and UnityHas like this.
  20. vx4

vx4

I use Bolt only for State Graphs.:)

21. John3D

John3D

Awesome! Thanks!

22. UnityHas

UnityHas

Unity Technologies

That's a totally valid way to use Bolt! One of my favorite features too.

23. ModLunar

ModLunar

This really brings a lot of joy to me.

I've wanted a new way to explore writing logic into my games, despite being very programming-oriented, for a very long time. At first a while ago, I didn't think visual scripting was that cool (you would expect -- I already know coding, so why use visual scripting, right?)

But the fact that you can extend it by writing your own scripts, and possibly save these graphs of nodes out as assets (at least I think, right?) -- means it can really help organize so many parts of my games, including NPC Dialogue, my Combat Damage Formula, Quest Storylines, or Skill Trees for Classes/Job Advancement systems.. the limits are endless, and visual scripting could make these things sooo much easier to manage.

Seriously excited for this, and impressed that it's free!
    Thanks a lot Unity team.

P.S. - I wanted to leave this comment at the blog post, but got a 503 HTTP error haha.

UnityHas and LaurentGibert like this.
  24. Oxeren

Oxeren

Great news! Still have a question. This is touched upon in "Will content authored with Bolt be compatible with Bolt 2?", but I'm still not sure, is it reasonable to start using Bolt 1 for a project that is targeting 2022 and then it will be possible to convert it to Bolt 2, or should I wait for, say, Bolt 2 beta?

25. LaurentGibert

LaurentGibert

Administrator

It is too early to make plans for the next steps, we don't want to mislead you in any direction as we are ourselves trying to figure this out. One obvious point is that Bolt 1 and 2 concepts are not matching one-to-one. However it is possible to open Bolt 1 graphs in Bolt 2 and a lot of it is translatable. As we analyze this in details, we will describe what migrate properly, and what doesn't, and how to fill in the blanks if needed.

Oxeren likes this.
  26. RoyS

RoyS

Finally dug it out of the email pile, do we send our receipt to the asset store?

27. LaurentGibert

LaurentGibert

Administrator

ModLunar likes this.
  28. hammer_head

hammer_head

29. hammer_head

hammer_head

Waiting for refund...

30. vinurd

vinurd

and I remember BILL GATES with his windows. When the PC was only available to programmers. He made it available to millions, and it is understandable that programmers will be very upset. Now everyone can program.

An excellent and timely solution to combine with a visual script. Developers are gradually opening up a pandora's box for intermediate programmers. Only the unique and the best will be appreciated. And everyone can program simple programs. The Unity still made it to the ship.
    This is a cool solution and I hope here the visual code will not be shyly abandoned, as GODOT did

31. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Godot did not abadon visual scripting, Don't know why you say that?

32. vinurd

vinurd

they are the second to introduce a visual script inside the engine. If UNREAL has big problems with optimization (if you write in visual code) and the inaccessibility of server technologies for visual code, then GODOT translated their own embedded code into a kind of visual code and somehow abandoned this process. Two engines that had visual inline code, which solves most of the integration problems. GODOT is also trying to break through to improved rendering. And then, unexpectedly, UNITY announces the built-in visual code (out of the blue) and the unit has more understanding, in the sense that users don't know vector mathematics well. Some don't understand at all. And I come across more simplified solutions like "look at" some visual plugins even had things like iTwin built in - I don't remember the name exactly. There, in general, a large part is solved with vector mathematics. I really hope for the unity and the further development of this programming segment.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  33. digiross

digiross

i've been learning through several courses on udemy, i'm on the fence if going to visual scripting would help or hurt at this point. Thoughts?

34. dubois121

dubois121

is there a tutorial using bolt for pinball?
    bolt for flipper, bolt for drop target , bolt for plunger.......

35. barrycook

barrycook

Is anyone aware of any alternative Documentation for Bolt?

36. lukaszp

lukaszp

I bought Bolt June 3, 2020. I still have not received any refund until today. Is there anybody @Unity who can fix it?

37. LootHunter

LootHunter

38. ashley_unity

ashley_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi, @LootHunter - thanks for flagging, it should be back up now!

LootHunter and FernandoMK like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.