Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Bolt massive impact on time entering play mode. 2020.1.14f1. Application.Reload

Discussion in 'Visual Scripting' started by hoesterey, Jan 10, 2021.

1. hoesterey

hoesterey

Hi,
    We were considering bolt as an option to enable our level designers but need to resolve this.

Our codebase is still on the small side (compared to what it will be) and already bolt is adding 3-5 seconds to entering play mode. Application.Reload And GUI.Repaint are the prime contributors.

Of note we are not even using the bolt library yet. It it simply unused in our project.

Is this expected behavior? If so we are going to nuke the library as it's simply not going to scale.

2. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

Try the new Enter Play Mode settings if possible.

3. hoesterey

hoesterey

Nah,
    those new options look extremely error prone. having the project and scripts not "reset" properly will cost more time then waiting for play mode to start. But thanks for pointing them out.

4. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

Can't argue with that.

hoesterey likes this.
  5. mendo

mendo

Bumping up for visibility, as we have the exact same issue. It's making us consider dropping Bolt as 3-5 seconds of added time each time you hit play is quite annoying :/

As hoesterey said new PlayMode is still too risky to use, specially if you downloaded Assets that include scripts and didnt account for this. We tried removing Bolt from the project and things went back to normal

6. Adam-Blahuta

Adam-Blahuta

Unity Technologies

Hey @hoesterey! We're currently preparing a patch to the Asset Store version, so I'll make sure to check play mode entry times as part of that. If the latest fixes haven't cut that down significantly, I'll make sure we prioritize an optimization pass.

FernandoMK likes this.
  7. hoesterey

hoesterey

Great thanks!

I tested it in for a larger codebase in our last product https://www.dreadmachine.com/ and it it does currently seam to get worse as the size of the codebase increases. For reference Dread Machine is a small code base compared to some other products I worked on such as "Recore" https://www.recoregame.com/. Suggest testing against a product with a few million lines of code.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  8. Adam-Blahuta

Adam-Blahuta

Unity Technologies

If it warrants a closer optimization pass, I'll get us to document where perf goes in this step so you can know how to address scalability

hoesterey likes this.