Search Unity

Resolved Bolt and Playmaker - Which is most similar to Unreal Blueprints?

Discussion in 'Visual Scripting' started by unity_klKOyQysAUFhtA, Oct 10, 2021.

1. unity_klKOyQysAUFhtA

unity_klKOyQysAUFhtA

I've used Unreal Blueprints quite a bit and wanted to know which of Bolt and Playmaker is most similar to Blueprints in Unreal?

2. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

Bolt is more similar on the surface level by how logic gets stringed together. It has both Blueprint like flow/script graphs and FSM graphs. Playmaker has only FSM graphs, so it's not similar to Blueprints.

But none of them are like Blueprints exactly. Blueprints has a curated collection of high-level nodes that tightly integrate with Unreal's systems like the ability system, the actor system, etc. Unity doesn't have the equivalent for those baked in systems so it also doesn't have a collection of high-level nodes. In Bolt/Unity Visual Scripting, you're mostly working with the low level C# API nodes. Though I hear Unity are working on their own collection of high-level nodes but don't expect to get that anytime soon.

My suggestion would be to start with Unity Visual Scripting, which is re-skinned Bolt integrated into the engine if you're looking for a free solution. There's also Flow Canvas+Node Canvas combo that're currently the best VS tools in Unity, in my opinion.

unity_klKOyQysAUFhtA likes this.
  3. unity_klKOyQysAUFhtA

unity_klKOyQysAUFhtA

Thank you