Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Boiling water

Discussion in 'Physics' started by Dajo2, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Dajo2

Dajo2

Hi all,

I've been trying to solve a problem for quite a long time now with no luck :( I would like some help or at least some pointers where to start. I've been trying out different solutions and searching for solutions as well. All with pretty crappy result or without the features I'm striving for.

Basically, I would like to make boiling water in a bowl and have objects floating around in it. The player should be able to stir it as well (if possible). It has to be dead-cheap as it's for mobile platforms only. It seems so simple?! But maybe it's not?

This pretty much sums up want I want to achieve (7:17 into the clip) :

The exception is that I want to be able to stir as well.

I've been trying to add forces and rigidbodies. Another option was the community ocean shader plus a buoyancy script. Maybe a combination of forces and a particle system might work? All help would be appreciated, even if it's only to "doom" my former ideas.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  2. Dajo2

Dajo2

I think I've solved it now! :)

I got Lowpoly Substances from the Unity Asset store and used the water shader in that package. That actually worked insanely good for my purpose. For the food I used the bouyancy script (https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/buoyancy-script.72974/). Haven't tried it thoroughly yet, but so far it works pretty good.