Search Unity

1. Read here to learn more about our latest preview of the XR Interaction Toolkit.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Click here to see what's on sale for the "Best of Super Sale" on the Asset Store
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Read here for Unity's latest plans on OpenXR.
    Dismiss Notice

Blurry Panoramic Texture using Unity & Oculus Quest

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by alphakanal, May 17, 2020.

1. alphakanal

alphakanal

I'm creating a 360° Panorama within a unity VR scene.

I'm using this shader from my other thread to put a equirectangular texture ( 2048 * 4096 ) on a flipped shpere. My VR Headset is Oculus Quest v16

1. Unity 2019.3 Method: When using this approach in unity -> the final panorama looks quite blurry on the oculus quest
    2. HTML / JS Method: When using the same texture creating a html/js panorama ( no unity ) the panorama is crisp when viewing it with the oculus browser.

Attached the texture settings i'm using - same override settings are used for PC

Is it not possible to get a crisp result out of unity or do i have to tweak some settings to get a similar result ?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  2. arfish

arfish

Hi,

Have you tried to change the type of the Texture?
    Sprite without Mip Maps, for example, shouldn't add any blur.

alphakanal likes this.
  3. alphakanal

alphakanal

Hi!
    Thanks for the hint :)
    Gave it a try - but i'm not sure if it makes that difference - i'm trying to get it sharper by changing some android export settings and/or different texture compression methods

4. arfish

arfish

Guess it depends on how close to the sphere you want to go too.
    4096px spread all the way around will give you just 1024 px for a quarter of the sphere.

5. alphakanal

alphakanal

Yeah - seems that would be the point.
    I need it quiet big, because i'm using 3D stereo-panorama -> one sphere per eye. With small spheres i've noticed there's more distortion or bending in my panoramic textures

unityunity