Search Unity

Blur Model animation when its moving

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by foxvalleysoccer, Aug 17, 2017.

1. foxvalleysoccer

foxvalleysoccer

I'm attempting to show a piston moving. That part is working.

When I increase the speed I want to apply a motion blur to the model.

When I deploy to the hololens and increase the speed it drops frames so I want to blur the animation.

I tried looking into this with no success. https://docs.unity3d.com/550/Documentation/Manual/script-MotionBlur.html
    I'm not moving my camera so i don't think it applys to what I'm doing.

I also tried this https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/PostProcessing-MotionBlur.html
    It added another camera that messed with my hololens camera. I also didnt see the pistion blur.
    I don't have 2017.1 Installed either does that matter?

How is this accomplished?

2. brownboot67

brownboot67

If you're dropping frames already adding a post proc effect to your rendering (especially in VR/AR) is unlikely to help you.

Run the profiler, find the bottleneck and optimize. Then if you still need to, find a cheaper way to hide the low fps.

bgolus likes this.
  3. bgolus

bgolus

The HoloLens does not have the performance to be able to apply post process effects.

On older platforms (early 3D mobile & PS1/PS2 era) the way they handled motion blur was to have a pre-blurred version of the object using a blurred, transparent texture and model that could be used to replace the object at high speeds. Alternatively they would render the object multiple times with reduced opacity, but I wouldn't recommend that today.

Basically, for the piston's cylinder itself you would just have the outside of a cylinder with a vertically blurred texture that you would fade in.

The motion blur listed in your first link I believe has been removed from Unity's standard assets entirely, hence why it no longer exists in the latest documentation and why you were having problems finding it. It's also not really motion blur and won't hide the framerate drop.

The motion blur in your second link would probably drop your framerate far more significantly and end up looking way worse than the dropped frames.