Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Games "Blubber Busters" - Game Dev Blog

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Terrabite, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Terrabite

Terrabite

@FBTH: Haha, that is awesome! XD I'm glad you like it!

@NomadKing: Yay! Thanks a lot :D

We've been working hard since our last update and we're focusing on gameplay and the environment art. But today, we have some of our WIP models and an animation to show you.

We're also looking for a Graphics Programmer to join the team. Please let us know if you're interested by sending us an email and examples of work to: blubberbustersgame@gmail.com

More updates to come soon & thank you for all the support! <3

Rudy with his head!

Not_Sure and NomadKing like this.
  2. zenGarden

zenGarden

More gameplay please.

3. marcos

marcos

This is awesome, not sure how I missed this project. (Though somehow a piccy of the earlier Janitor model was in my inspiration folder. Polycount?)

4. Terrabite

Terrabite

@zenGarden: We're on it! :D

@marcos: Thanks! We do have a thread on Polycount :)

We are looking for some talent to join us!

5. Terrabite

Terrabite

Hey guys! We've been working hard this past year and wanted to share a small glimpse of that work with you. We hope you like it! :)

Not_Sure, NomadKing and FBTH like this.
  6. zenGarden

zenGarden

This is looking good.
    Did you use 3d tiles or are they 2d tiles for the level ?

And no gameplay :D ?

7. Terrabite

Terrabite

Thanks! It's only a teaser - but we will have some gameplay to share once the demo's near finish. :)

Theses are 2d tiles. Everything in the final game will be 2d sprites (including the 3d characters)

8. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

This is really looking sharp. Love the art and the silent narrative.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  9. Terrabite

Terrabite

@Not_Sure: Thank you! :)

Here's some work that's going to be in the demo. Our VFX Artist Alex Redfish created some dust.

Not_Sure and NomadKing like this.
  10. QFSW

QFSW

Wow, this stuff looks amazing, keep ip the good work

11. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

This is one of those rare instances where our desire to "play" a cartoon is going to be delivered. Excellent achievement in visuals, graphics and animations. Can't wait to play this.

12. Terrabite

Terrabite

NomadKing and Not_Sure like this.
  13. Terrabite

Terrabite

Here's the finished version of the NPC character from our stream yesterday. He runs all the mechanics and station systems. He's also the character that promotes Rudy, the janitor, to head surgeon!

If you missed it, you can still catch it in two parts on our Twitch!

http://www.twitch.tv/blubberbusters

theANMATOR2b, NomadKing and Not_Sure like this.
  14. Samuel411

Samuel411

Wow! Really creative characters and game. The demo video shows off great animations and great in-game models. I'm really interested in this one.

15. Terrabite

Terrabite

@Samuel411: Thank you! :)

Some more particle work from Alex Redfish. We adjusted its color to green in the end. It's not blood, I swear!

Not_Sure, NomadKing and Mister-D like this.
  16. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Particles look great.
    Are these animations and the character animations created at more than 30 fps? The reason I ask is because there is a very distinct smoothness look to them that is very appealing.

Excellent work.

17. Partiest-Cat

Partiest-Cat

Animator here -- Thanks!

All the animations (particles, environmental anims, character anims) are animated at 30 -- The only exception in the teaser is that some of the simple sprite animations (foreground pulsing, eggs in the end shot) were animated directly in Unity at 60 (a bit arbitrarily, admittedly :p ).

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  18. Terrabite

Terrabite

19. Terrabite

Terrabite

20. Terrabite

Terrabite

The concept art for our big boss parasite by Avery! We'll be doing another stream for his 3d model this coming weekend :D

NomadKing likes this.
  21. Terrabite

Terrabite

22. Terrabite

Terrabite

23. Terrabite

Terrabite

Tomorrow @ 3 PM PST will be our first Animation livestream with Paul Jarvis. If you guys wanna see how we do some of our animations and even create 2d sprites out of 3d models, please join us :)

24. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Oh - Please cashe/record this live stream. I will not be available tomorrow but am super interested in seeing your animation workflow.
    Please!

25. Darkays

Darkays

I have been meaning to post on this thread for a while, but I have had consistent internet for a while.

First off... This look awesome! The attention to detail in the art is phenomenal, the tone and slight humor to the trailer really sold me on the game. And I also love playing sidescrollers so this seem right up my alley! Again, excellent work so far you guys well done.

I had a super small and trivial question when I first saw the dust particle video, when would the upper left particle animation be played (see, told you it was trivial...), it looks great, just I am not sure when that specific one would play. Speaking of particles, those also look really good. In fact, I am kind of inspired to work on some particles for my game using some of the technique I can glean from the video.

On a less trivial note, I can actually attend this livestream! Though I don't normally chat on Twitch I will definitely watch. How many people normally attend? I guess I get put off by having my chat lost a sea of others so we can't really have a coherent conversation.

Long story short, the game look great so far best of luck as you progress and I will definitely be watching this as it develops!

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  26. Terrabite

Terrabite

@theANMATOR2b - We will save the entire stream in our highlights! :)

@Darkays - Thank you! We're really glad you like it :D

The two upper left particles that look similar are used to add variety to his steps, so it doesn't look so much like a looping effect. I hope that makes sense! ^^

We usually have around 50 or so attending the stream, but it depends on the day and time of day. Since it's Sunday afternoon for us, there probably won't be too many people. But, there are always a few of us in the chat of the stream, so we should be able to answer anything! :)

Darkays likes this.
  27. Terrabite

Terrabite

28. Terrabite

Terrabite

NomadKing likes this.
  29. Terrabite

Terrabite

Here's some of the progress made on the stream yesterday. If you wanna see the process, feel free to check out the stream in the highlights on our channel. :)

30. Terrabite

Terrabite

Here's some work from our animator Paul Jarvis! :)

NomadKing and theANMATOR2b like this.
  31. Terrabite

Terrabite

It's time to announce another weekend stream! This time Cody Bunt will be painting some textures for our boss parasite. Join us on Sunday Oct 18th at 2PM PST!

32. Terrabite

Terrabite

Here's some running and jumping animations from Paul!

33. Guideborn

Guideborn

So the 3D player models are prerendered into 2D sprites? What cool things can you do with this method? Sorry if I missed a lesson on that. Hah.

34. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

I've watched a couple of there archived streams and the gdc Ori talk.
    Several benefits for this method include
    non- uniform scaling which engines don't like.
    squash and stretch which doesn't translate into a exported/imported rig very well without negative side effects.
    motion blur/dof for free without the engine needing to compute it at run-time.
    Pre-computed baked lighting/shadows - if you desire.
    Baked effects - glow, bloom, self illumination, double sided material rendered, without requiring a custom shader or doubled polygons, hair, 3D app cloth, polycount detail is unrestricted.
    Multi- character interaction without requiring complex engine rigging.

35. Terrabite

Terrabite

What theANMATOR2b said is pretty much it! I'm just gonna post a reply our animator gave to someone else on the same subject. Sorry if it's a little repetitive!

"It's mostly to keep everything in line with the way our art pipeline is being built. It lets us control the lighting/post effects on the characters in the same way as the environment and keeps things nice and tidy. It also takes care of a lot of crazy draw-order issues with Z-depth of environment assets against the player/enemies.

We also get a lot of great free wins with things like baked-in motion blur wherever we want it (see: Ori and the Blind Forest) without needing to handle that in-engine.

There are definitely limitations to the method and certain things are a lot harder/more tedious to work with when going this route (efficient visual character customization, for example), but the wins we get from keeping it feeling in line with the rest of the art style felt like a much bigger win.

Efficiency-wise, it's a bit night and day. Since you're only working with flipbook animations, the load on texture memory is the big battle you have to fight. Luckily, there are lots of tools out there that help combat that problem automatically for us (along with some in-house tools we're working on).

When it comes down to it, ya gotta go for whatever will work for your game and whatever your animator is willing to put up with in terms of workflow and limitations."

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  36. Terrabite

Terrabite

The demo boss sculpt :)

37. zenGarden

zenGarden

Some gameplay to show ?

38. Terrabite

Terrabite

@zenGarden: We will have some to show soon! We're cranking out the demo as we speak :)

Here's a little piece we're going to be using for the kickstarter.

Darkays, theANMATOR2b and zenGarden like this.
  39. Terrabite

Terrabite

Here's a rough thumbnail of the level block-out (not including the boss chamber) by Avery! :)

RavenOfCode likes this.
  40. Terrabite

Terrabite

Eva powering up with some brain juice!

NomadKing and RavenOfCode like this.
  41. zenGarden

zenGarden

What 2D level system do you use ? 2D Tiles ? or some system like Ferr2D ?

42. Terrabite

Terrabite

We use a combination of Ferr2D and some of our own custom work. :)

43. Terrabite

Terrabite

Spawning exploration from Paul! :)

NomadKing, RavenOfCode and zenGarden like this.
  44. zenGarden

zenGarden

You guys are putting lot of polishing in the game graphics , that's good.
    I seen first game concepts in polycount forums a long time ago, why did it took so long to see the project starting ? technical decisions ? 3D to 2D ?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  45. Terrabite

Terrabite

Thanks :) It's taken us so long to get going because all of us are working part-time on the side of full-time jobs. We've had a few programmers come and go and that's slowed us down greatly. We're doing our best to get things ramping up faster!

46. zenGarden

zenGarden

That's good.
    How do you guys make animations in Unity ? Spriter like method ? Or spriteSheets only ?

47. Partiest-Cat

Partiest-Cat

Flipbook-style animations (basically sprite sheets) for nearly everything, but some things are animated via Unity directly. Just sort of depends on what we need at the time :)

All the character stuff is rendered out directly from 3D and hooked up through Mecanim. VFX and environmental stuff are mostly hand-drawn 2D animations, with some particle systems thrown in.

zenGarden likes this.
  48. Terrabite

Terrabite

Work in progress of our boss parasite model! Getting him/her prepped for animation :)

NomadKing likes this.
  49. nxtboyIII

nxtboyIII

@Terrabite this is looking really sweet! I love all the artwork! :D Really creative

50. Terrabite

Terrabite

Thank you! :D

Here's a little gif for you guys ^^