Search Unity

Bloom Flicker Problem.

Discussion in 'Image Effects' started by soleron, Sep 10, 2018.

1. soleron

soleron

I read in other posts too, that this is a persistent old problem And it is a problem. Bloom if used properly is essential in order to create realistic visuals. Even when everything in your image is tuned perfectly this is enough to break the illusion. Needs to be fixed.

Are there any solutions other than buying something from the store or not using bloom?

Thank you.

2. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

What type of game, or scene are you making?
    If it's a scene or stage in a game, can you post one or a few screen pics?

3. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Unfortunately most effects these days are going the lazy way of relying on TAA for "proper" stability. Unity's bloom is one of them - I've just had another quick look at it on Github and a bit shocked to not see any kind of stability built-in to it (ie. a median filter) - really hope I'm missing something there as there's no excuse not to have one as an option. Even in recent AAA games this is a problem, just turn TAA off in any recent Battlefield and you'll see the Bloom looks more like a disco effect.

To answer your question on what other solutions there are, simple really - add temporal stability to the bloom yourself :) This could involve:
    • Adding in a median filter during the first grab of the screen buffer
    • Lerping the previous-frames bloom texture with the current one (keeping ~70% of the current frame, 30% of prev.)
    • Downsample using a more stable (read: wider) downsampling filter

Out of interest, what version of Unity are you on?

4. poa123

poa123

On another thread, they said the problem is related to the lack of texture filtering...

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  5. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

It's a problem with regardless of surface texture filtering. IE: look through the leaves of a swaying dense bush into a bright sky, and you will still get fireflies in an unstable bloom effect. Yes, if you have 4k unfiltered glossiness textures that are super sharp, that won't do you any favours, but it can't be the only thing to take the blame.

6. PolyMad

PolyMad

To everyone in here: let it be with the new Unity standard Image Effects, they are just sketches not ready for production.
    I am actually using NONE of the effects that come with the Post Process Stack, and I have good visuals and framerate.
    The only one that can be somewhat saved is the AntiAlias effect, when used in conjunction with the free FXAA you find on the Asset Store for free. All the rest... useless... except maybe the tone mapping and eye adaptation, didn't test them enough to say.

Back to the bloom: get back the old Bloom And Flares from v.5.4: it works a charm, performs very well and it's visually fantastic when well configured. I actually can't live without it in my visuals anymore.
    https://docs.unity3d.com/540/Documentation/Manual/script-BloomAndFlares.html