Search Unity

Bloody Mess: Positional Damage and Dismemberment System (Web Demo LIVE)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by OneShotGG, Mar 10, 2015.

1. OneShotGG

OneShotGG

UPDATE: Beta Web Demo is out!

Hey guys and gals,

We at Heavy Diesel Softworks are working on a new asset package entitled Bloody Mess: Positional Data and Dismemberment (formerly Bloody Mess: Positional Damage and Dismemberment).

What is Bloody Mess: Positional Data and Dismemberment?

Bloody Mess is a position damage (think headshot, armshot, etc), event, and character dismemberment system that is designed to replace your enemy or player damage handler with a highly extendable, robust and realistic one. We will be releasing the beta first for a lower price ($15) followed by the full release for a higher price.

Why should you want Bloody Mess?
    In addition to being an advanced positional damage handler Bloody Mess also comes with an integrated event and performance friendly dismemberment system. All three of these things work together to give you a powerful, and fully extendable, way to carry out whatever action you want on whatever body part you want. Including integration into 3rd party assets to increase their uses! The Full Release version of Bloody Mess (which beta buyers get to upgrade to for free) will include some advanced game frameworks to integrate immediately into your project. One of these frameworks will be a Turned Based or Action Point Based system that will function similar to VATS in the fallout game series.

The Positional Damage System gives separate heath to different body parts with their own damage modifiers that effect the total health of the enemy or player. No longer will foot shots cause as much damage as head shots!!! When a body part's heath runs out it can be automatically dismembered and then effected by your owns scripts via the Event System. Since all damage calculation is done by Bloody Mess all you have to make a small (generally cut and paste) edit to your gun or melee script and you are ready to go.

The Damage Event System allows you to call functions and pass positional data from Bloody Mess into your own scripts. This will allow you to do things like update Achievements, use custom or 3rd party effects on hit limbs or dismembered limbs, send data to the animator for advanced animation states, add positional forces to hit limbs or dismembered limbs, and much more! Right now Bloody Mess allows you to call four functions in your own scripts:

OnLimbDeath(int limbID, GameObject spawnedLimb) : This is for applying effects or otherwise modifying spawned dismembered limbs.

OnLimbHit(int limbID) : This is for applying effects or other modifications to body part positions based on a raycast hit by whatever gun asset or raycaster you are using.

OnLimbCollision(int limbID, Collider other) : This is for applying effects or other modifications to body part positions based on collision with an outside collider, or apply effects to the gameObject that collides with the limb.

OnDeath(Transform ragdoll) : This is for applying effects or other modifications to the ragdoll upon character death.

Examples of things you can use the system for are setting up a hit based achievement system, headshot combo system, using ik and collision data to make an enemy react appropriately to where they are shot, exploding an enemies head after removing all its health, exploding a character after it hits a land mine, allowing enemies to change animation states based on positional hit data (zombies lose legs and crawl, headshots stun, etc) and whatever else you can think of.

The Healing Event System is designed to let you link any type of healing mechanism into Bloody Mess. This includes things like heal guns, health pickups, GUI Inventory Healing and more. Furthermore you will be able to heal Total Health, All Limbs, or Individuals Limbs separately. This makes Bloody Mess a one stop shop for both enemy and player character damage handeling/healing.

The Dismemberment System comes in two varieties, full body or head only. Furthermore when using the head only script you can turn off dismemberment entirely and just use the positional damage and event systems. While in use the dismemberment system will hide portions of the body (and any related triggers) and spawn a clone in the exact same place as the original. This effect fools the player into thinking they have actually cut or shot off a limb and, combined with the event system and 3rd party effects, can have dramatic results (exploding limbs with Exploder anyone?)

For examples of all of these systems see the below video!

The below video shows the beta Web Demo.

Don't have a cut up mesh for dismemberment? Do it yourself using your favorite Unity Asset store models and a little 3d modeling work!

We intend to release to the asset store within the next few weeks (as soon as the demo character is done, limb spawning is correct, and documentation is finished).

Beta Features (price: $15):
    1. positional damage (and damage modifiers) for individual body parts
    2. body part dismemberment based on a pre cut mesh system
    3. ragdolls that retain the body dismemberment settings of their parents
    4. Mecanim ready demo character designed specifically for dismemberment in our system
    5. Clear instructions on how to integrate into RFPS, UFPS and Easy Weapons
    6. Clean and clear documentation
    8. Use with event system to trigger 3rd party effects

Full Release Features (price:??)
    1. All features from beta
    2. High quality, Mecanim ready, zombie character designed for excellent dismemberment
    4. Full tutorial series on how to set up custom character models with the Bloody Mess system
    5. High quality blood FX and Sound FX for included zombie character
    6. Example mecanim graph for having zombies go from walking to crawling with leg removal
    7. Walk, crawl and attack animations for the zombie
    8. Blood FX that spawn at the point of dismemberment
    9. Examples of how to use with the event system to integrate other fracturing or disfigurement assets
    10. Turned Based Damage Framework (think VATS from the fallout series)

Future Plans
    1. Instructions on the integration into more shooting systems
    2. high precision melee dismemberment
    3. PBR Next Gen Male and Female zombies
    4. attack both arms, attack missing arm, attack missing both arms animations and example mecanim graph for implementing them
    5. blood splatters for walls and ground
    6. more gameplay frameworks

Bloody Mess is written in, clear, c# code which should be dead simple to modify or extend. Out of the box Bloody Mess will support head, right hand, left hand, right leg, left leg, right forearm, left forearm, right upper arm, left upper arm, upper body, lower body, critical, extra 1, extra 2, extra 3 and extra 4 damage zones (total of 17).

Boody Mess: Positional Data and Dismemberment System is a product of Heavy Diesel Softworks, LLC.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  2. NeuroToxin-Studios

NeuroToxin-Studios

Looks good, Will definitely have to buy this when it comes out as this would be awesome in my game.

Great work guys

3. OneShotGG

OneShotGG

Thanks a lot! I actually solved the problem with the limb spawning this afternoon so the time table may move up some.

I am gonna start on the web demo that will show everything that comes with the beta tomorrow.

4. sluice

sluice

Cool stuff!

5. TonyLi

TonyLi

Very nice! Let us know when it's on the Asset Store!

6. thenamesace

thenamesace

Very cool keep us all informed

7. OneShotGG

OneShotGG

So a small update. I have received a few emails asking about mobile performance. I have not tested on mobile but, just based on prior experience, dismembering multiple body parts in short succession could have performance impacts on older mobile devices.

Because of this I am going to include a lightweight head decapitation only script for the best mobile performance or just for games that only need head dismemberment.

I have also decided to add in critical zones which are triggers that can be set anywhere on the body and have their own damage multiplier. If you have played Borderlands 2, or any boss battle that requires you to hit weak spots, you will be familiar with critical zones.

Lastly, since our time table moved up a bit I have decided to make a tutorial on how to setup models for dismemberment that will come with the beta.

A lot of characters on the asset store can be dismembered (generally any character that is split up into multiple pieces can) but they will not have the insides (muscle bone) unless you specifically model them to have that. For that reason perfect integration of asset store models into this system will require either content providers to split up their models correctly upon patron request (which if this asset catches on I would love to see happen) or modification of the model and reskinning by the purchaser.

We at Heavy Diesel Softworks will do what we can to provide some 3d models to use with Bloody Mess (including some high quality ones) but if you need custom designs, in the end, it will be up to you and your dev team to create the proper models, rig them and skin them. That is what my tutorials will mainly address.

That said, if you don't want to use our prepared characters, and don't know how to model, rig and skin to modify existing ones, or create new ones, use of the dismemberment portion of our system may be marginal for your.

That does not mean you wont find worth in the position damage portion of Bloody Mess but I want to be open about what you will be getting with our product.

-Brad

8. TonyLi

TonyLi

Could you provide some code hooks, perhaps using the new Event System? If I'm using a grenade launcher, or shooting a shatter-able enemy such as a rock monster, it might be nice to be able to trigger a fracturing system such as Exploder, Fracturing & Destruction, or Fracture.

9. OneShotGG

OneShotGG

Just so I understand, you want to use positional damage to trigger specific effects on specific parts of the model?

Ex. Shoot a boss' weak spot until the weak spot's heath equals zero and then use a fracturing system instead of dismemberment to remove it? Or use both?

Is that what you are thinking?

If so yes, I can add that in. Would probably be something that makes it in between beta and release.

edit: This reminds me that I forgot to mention that, as a damage handler, Bloody Mess should integrate easily into most existing AI systems. I will be sure to include some tutorials over that and possibly an example (maybe with shooter AI).

Furthermore, Bloody Mess will also have the ability to spawn particle effects at dismemberment positions to simulate, for example, blood flowing from where a dismembered limb was cut off at (on the torso or lower body of the character).

True to its name Bloody Mess will also have a function to unrealistically explode a character into all its pieces completely upon critical hit(like what can be found in a very popular RPG).

Bloody Mess is written in clear c# code which should be dead simple to modify or extend. Out of the box Bloody Mess will support head, right hand, left hand, right leg, left leg, right forearm, left forearm, right upper arm, left upper arm, upper body, lower body, extra 1, extra 2, extra 3 and extra 4 damage zones (total of 16).

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  10. TonyLi

TonyLi

Exactly. Or maybe explode a rock monster's head into little bits using Exploder. Or maybe even just use the code hook to increment a counter toward a "Headhunter" achievement. Never hurts to be able to hook in our own code without having to directly modify the source code of an Asset Store product.

11. OneShotGG

OneShotGG

I should be able to include all of that.

12. TonyLi

TonyLi

Great, thanks!

13. OneShotGG

OneShotGG

Thanks to the amazing TonyLi (seriously, if you need a dialogue system buy his https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/11672 ) I have been able to implement an event system into Bloody Mess that allows you to pretty much do whatever you want with the positions you define, the limbs you spawn or even the ragdoll after death.

Want to shatter a rock monsters head after you headshot him? Call OnLimbDeath(), sprinkle in some fracture scripting and its good to go.

Want to have a character be stunned by headshots? Call OnLimbHit(), send data to the animator, spawn a stun particle effect around the hit limb (head) and you have a stunned baddie.

Want to vaporize a head and then dissolve the body behind it (sorta like a certain popular Post Apoc RPG) call OnLimbDeath() do some head vaporization, then call OnDeath() activate a dissolve shader and place a pile of ash at the transforms feet.

Its all there to do, and all possible with Blood Mess!

sluice and TonyLi like this.
  14. TonyLi

TonyLi

Awesome! I'm looking forward to putting this into a project!

15. OneShotGG

OneShotGG

Last update for today.

I have gone ahead and added OnLimbCollision(int limbID) so Bloody Mess now handles positional collision!!! Given this asset does more than just position damage and dismemberment (and the name is getting longer!) we at the Heavy Diesel Workshop of doom are going to hereby rename it Bloody Mess: Positional Data and Dismemberment.

With the addition of collision data you can use Bloody Mess: Positional Data and Dismemberment to chop off limbs (or other actions) with melee weapons that use collision meshes. In addition you should be able to use OnLimbCollision in positional ik reactions (character reacting naturally to a punch, or even stopping your melee swing when hitting a body as in simulating it hitting a solid object).

One cool idea I intend to use in the demo of Bloody Mess is using collision data to trigger landmines and exploding the player character wonderfully. What a goreously amazing time it will be (yes I just made up a word).

The last update for today is a picture of the demo character. As a caveat I wanted the demo character to show that asset store characters not designed for Bloody Mess can still take advantage of the dismemberment system with a little work.

Without further ado I give you everyone's Favorite Goofy Unity Cartoon Guy!!!

Now you can dismember this condescendingly smirking goofball till your hearts content!

If all goes well my next update tomorrow should be a sneak peak at next weeks web demo and the beta release!

16. OneShotGG

OneShotGG

Ok so I added in a few new features today and made a few tweaks to the event system.

The major feature I added was a healing event system that allows you to call three new events:

AddHeath(float amount) : this event will add a user defined amount of health to the characters total health only.

AddLimbHeath(float amount) : this event will add heath to each and every limb.

AddLimbHealthSelective(float amount, GameObject targetObj) : this event will add health to only the desired limb.

With this new healing event system bloody mess opens the door to allowing positional player character damage and healing similar to the kind found in many rpg games (fallout 3, etc).

To go along with the healing system I am allowing OnLimbDeath to work with or without limb dismemberment. That way you can call OnLimbDeath to mean a broken limb instead of a removed one and change the animation state of your character or do other things.

I wanted to have a video up today as a sneak peek into next week's demo but it looks like I will be pushing that back to Monday.

Stay tuned because great things are coming soon for Bloody Mess.

- Brad

17. OneShotGG

OneShotGG

Alright guys, I've got a new update for you today and it includes two awesome things!

1. Here is a sneak peak at the beta web demo. I am about half way through (still have to do the boss fight, healing gun, and minefield scenes and add blood spewing effects) and I am working my butt off to get it out to you on friday. After that I will just have documentation to do before releasing the beta version of Bloody Mess.

2. I have decided to include a completely working turned based procedural damage framework with the Full Release version of Bloody Mess (think VATS in the fallout game series). Its gonna be a pretty darn cool system and I can't wait to show it to you guys.

18. OneShotGG

OneShotGG

Full video for the beta web demo is here. Should have the web demo up tomorrow!

19. OneShotGG

OneShotGG

TonyLi likes this.
  20. Gua

Gua

Noticed a blood in air bug in RFPS demo

21. TonyLi

TonyLi

That's a lot of blood!

Nice selection of demos, too. Any chance of getting a VATS-style demo?

22. OneShotGG

OneShotGG

Yeah, I'm not sure what is causing that. The blood collider should not be colliding with anything other than the ground. Thanks for the bug report though. I have had a couple more reports and I will get those fixed and an updated web demo up early next week.

23. OneShotGG

OneShotGG

VATS is coming after I add in pooling support. In fact that is the next demo I'm working on. It'll be after the beta release but before the full release.

I might get a video up with the VATS prototype next week. I should at least have the zooming in and selecting body parts stuff in.

24. OneShotGG

OneShotGG

Ohh, btw, I.have been talking to my animator and I think we are going to do a demo where a dismembered arm can crawl and attack you still.

Basically it will be a demo of how to use animation on a dismembered body part (kinda like how they did the head animation on decapitate orcs in that new Lord of the rings game).

We have a couple more super special ideas kicking around too. Bloody Mess should be something that continues to grow into surprising areas.

25. OneShotGG

OneShotGG

So I am about 50% through the documentation so I could be submitting Bloody Mess to the Asset Store as early as Friday.

Also, I have added in compatibility with pooling and I have started the process of making Bloody Mess compatible with saving and loading assets.

The future road map for Bloody Mess will go in this order:

Beta Release
    Virtual Positional Accuracy and Damage System (VPADS) Demo : (similar to VATS from the fallout games)
    Example Integration with Dialogue System
    Example Integration with Easy Save
    Release (includes new quality zombie character with animations and 3 new demos (pooling, nazi zombies, turnBasedRPG)

John-G likes this.
  26. OneShotGG

OneShotGG

Just want to givce an update. All tutorials are done and the documentation is finished. I should have Bloody Mess submitted by this friday. To hold you over here is a sneak peak at the VPADS Framework.

TonyLi and John-G like this.
  27. Ghosthowl

Ghosthowl

Can we purchase the beta now, or is that when it hits the asset store? And once the features are complete, the price goes up for full release? Is that how this works?

28. Griffo

Griffo

This looks great, looks like it's going on my to purchase list ..

Can I ask is the first person weapons and hands from the asset store or somewhere else?

Thanks,

29. sluice

sluice

Depending on the video your are talking about, it's probably from one of this asset:
    Realistic FPS
    UFPS

30. Griffo

Griffo

31. OneShotGG

OneShotGG

Beta will be when it hits the asset store, in truth the only things getting added into the full release are our custom zombie character/animations, VPADs framework, blood fx and more demos/tutorials.

Before full release (during beta) I will be adding in things like full pooling support (its basically in right now but I want to test it a bunch before I claim it as a feature) and saving and loading (for people who want to use the bloody mess system on the main characters or on enemies whose health can transfer between scenes (like fallout 3 or skyrim).

Im trying to tidy up the asset for release tomorrow but since tomorrow is good friday (and I may not be in the office) I will likely be sending it to the asset store on monday or tuesday.

The asset has basically been in beta release state for a week, the hold up has been with getting our bank account set up (we are a newly formed LLC). The US Government is taking their sweet time in sending us our tax ID :p (I guess I screwed up doing it by mail instead of online).

32. OneShotGG

OneShotGG

Yup thanks sluice for answering that!

So you guys can get a look at how the system works here are the video tutorials that are coming with the beta. Please let me know if you think I am unclear during them. I am thinking of redoing some of them because i feel I did a poor job (sorry I am not a very good public speaker, or speaker in general).

Tutorials:
    Basic Character Setup
    Advanced Character Setup
    Core Scripts Overview
    RFPS Integration
    Damage Events Tutorial
    Healing Events Overview

33. OneShotGG

OneShotGG

Just an update, Bloody Mess has been submitted for review. I will let yall know when it passes the inspection process.

sluice, John-G and TonyLi like this.
  34. abhijeet1001

abhijeet1001

will bloody mess be working with other products like ? shooter AI :https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/11292
    or it comes with zombie AI built in ? or it is easy just to add it to the AI models i made from shooter ai ?
    asking cause i see it has its own health thing and shooter AI has its own health manager
    i am looking to buy bloody mess as soon as its out but wanted to be sure that it will work with other AI packages out of the box if not then without much of hassle

Thanks Regards

35. OneShotGG

OneShotGG

Yes Bloody Mess will "eventually" work with lots of products (Shooter AI, Rain, Dialogue System, Easy Save, UFPS, etc). I will provide video tutorials detailing the code changes needed to integrate Bloody Mess into these products.

I don't own shooter AI but I can buy it and make it the first AI system I integrate Bloody Mess with. I am going to try and have a video up by Friday showing how to use Bloody Mess with Shooter AI for you.

I imagine the extent of Shooter AIs health management is telling if a character is dead (or fleeing based on what I have read). So really you would just pass the health value from Bloody Mess into the Shooter AI and disable any ragdoll stuff shooter AI does.

That is what I did when testing with RFPS's AI.

I am still waiting to hear back from Unity on if Bloody Mess has passed review though. Seems to be taking a while...

edit: Ok it looks like it should be a pretty simple set up based on the Shooter AI Manual
    I will just need to pass the health value in Bloody Mess into Heath Manager and use the event system to pass the hit object so you can do knockdowns :) . Downloading Shooter AI now.

I'll even do you one better. I'll do a tutorial on how to set up dismemberment in blender on the character that comes with Shooter AI. ;)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
    abhijeet1001 likes this.
  36. abhijeet1001

abhijeet1001

Ha , thanks for quick and great reply mate :) looking forward for the release now , i hope unity approve it quickly , cant wait to get hands on this asset :)

37. OneShotGG

OneShotGG

sluice and abhijeet1001 like this.
  38. abhijeet1001

abhijeet1001

and m in :eek:) time to explore this good asset ^_^

now just waiting for tutorial so i can get it going with UFPS and shooter AI ^_^

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  39. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Does this only work with human like characters?
    I would like to have the option to use more or less damage fields like in your health setup.
    That way i can create monsters or enemys that not only look human like so have 8 tentacles, or two heads, or is maybe a six leged robot.

I know this is in beta and maybe my request is not the priority but would like to know is this can be included at a later time.
    This will make the asset more useable and so more value i think. So what do you say/think about it?

Edit:
    Maybe in theory it is possible now but in the setup you only have to change it to a solution to setup it more flexible meaning have not a fixed value for the health setup for example.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  40. OneShotGG

OneShotGG

Yeah, you can use this for any type of creature. You will have to set up a rag doll and character triggers by hand though. Would you like me to do a tutorial for something that is non human like a spider?

41. sluice

sluice

Sweet! Glad to see it was released. I should be picking this up in the upcoming weeks! I saw that you already made a few tutorials! Awesome man! Keep it up! People love tutorials, it's just going to help market this asset!

42. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Looks fun

Slaghton and sluice like this.
  43. jRocket

jRocket

So does this tool split the model up or do we have to do that ourselves? I know it's not difficult, but for people who don't know 3d art tools, it would be nice to have it slice up a model along predefined planes and cap the open edges with polygons textured with a generic gore texture.

theANMATOR2b and randomperson42 like this.
  44. abhijeet1001

abhijeet1001

Lmao

45. OneShotGG

OneShotGG

Model must be spilt by you and then rigged sorry. There is an asset that does what you describe on the asset store, limb hacker I think it is.

46. abhijeet1001

abhijeet1001

cant we just use fps mesh tool ? it allows u to cut out meshes including materials so u can disable the material on the damaged part and spawn another duplicate of that body part ? m asking cause i wanted to know if there is any way , so i can use this system , on my models as they r already animated n rigged :(

47. Pulov

Pulov

I've been whaiting for such asset a looong time.

48. MIK3K

MIK3K

That limb hacker asset is really expensive but looks great. I wonder if Blood Mess would work with FPS Mesh Tool?

I think that is what abhijeet1001 above in post #46 was talking about.

By the way, saw this works with Easy Weapons from their sale a week or two ago. Nice when one asset supports another one or I would have never found Bloody Mess.

49. Selzier

Selzier

Awesome pack here guys! Here's a preview of my game using this Asset:

TonyLi likes this.
  50. DreamEnder

DreamEnder

Hey how did u get it to work with Simple People models?

I'm using the simple military pack and the Renderers and Skeleton Parents are impossible to set up without breaking the models.