Search Unity

Blood splatting on the camera

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by oliver_unity892, Jun 20, 2021.

1. oliver_unity892

oliver_unity892

Hi alli want to add a feature to my game that makes a blob of blood hot the camera view, and run down, as though it's hitting a viewing window and running down the glass.

Can anyone give me some pointers or point me at a tutorial or event an asset?

I've tried to do with it the particle system, but I can't find a way for the blob to "stick" to the camera view before running down. It just fly's past the camera.

Any suggestions or pointers welcome. Happy to buy an asset if there is one (can't see anything that jumps out)

Olly

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

Why not just animate a sprite over a canvas instead?

3. Olmi

Olmi

@oliver_unity892 you could try to implement this as a post processing effect.

Which render pipeline are you using?

4. oliver_unity892

oliver_unity892

Because my animation skills are about as good as my particle skills

Seriously though, I'm not really much when I comes to the artistic bit, so doing sprite stuff like that, well, I'd rather buy something.

5. Olmi

Olmi

There are quite a few on-screen blood effects in the asset store. But as always with pre-made assets they might not be exactly what you are looking for. But you can most likely customize some existing effect.

6. neginfinity

neginfinity

Transparent sprite or 2d vfx on canvas. The end.

7. oliver_unity892

oliver_unity892

Thanks.

I've seen a few, but specifically it's the hitting the screen bit and running down that's stumping me.

8. Murgilod

Murgilod

If something blood related hits whatever sets off the blood effect, just fade it in with a curve like this:

upload_2021-6-20_16-41-18.png

Keep it relatively sharp and keep the time for it to appear at about... let's say 10 frames?

If you really want to get into things, an image effect and a simple shader would let you get something more splatter like, but that gets into some more technical aspects.

9. neginfinity

neginfinity

I've not seen the "flowing blood on the screen" almost since sega genesis times. Usually this kind of effect is only used for the gameover screen, and any damage indication is restricted to semi-transparent splats that fade out.

Perhaps there's a reason for that.