Search Unity

Official Blog Post Series - Games Focus: Expanded Scale for Ambitious Games

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by UnityJuju, Nov 17, 2022.

1. UnityJuju

UnityJuju

Unity Technologies

Blog-Header-3_1.jpg

Hi everyone,

We're excited to share the ninth post in our Games Focus series, highlighting key product development initiatives for the year ahead and beyond. In this blog post, we cover the status, upcoming release plans, and future vision for enabling you to build more ambitious games with Unity.

Games Focus: Expanded Scale for Ambitious Games

We’ll talk about the benefits seasoned Unity creators can get with ECS for Unity, how early adopters have created ambitious games with ECS for Unity, and what’s planned for 2023 and beyond to bring those possibilities to all Unity creators.

Join us here in the forum, Discord, or Reddit for our DOTS Dev Blitz Day on December 8, 2022 for your chance to learn more about DOTS directly from the Unity Developers!

Visit the Games Focus series thread to find a list of available posts and to share feedback about the series.

Questions, comments, and suggestions are all welcome.

We're looking forward to hearing from you!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2022
  2. Laicasaane

Laicasaane

I think most of us, who closely follow this forum, want a more technical blog post rather than this. There is nothing there we don't know about. It's disappointing that official talks and posts from Unite 2022 until now hardly contain any new information regarding DOTS. You said you cover "upcoming release plans" in the post, but I see no plan there.

BenzzzX, ChrisJD, DevDunk and 3 others like this.
  3. Antypodish

Antypodish

Unite 2022 hosted on discord a day of Q&A session. It was a great opportunity, to ask anything, which may have been related to your project, or just to fill your curiosity.

Our team gained tons of invaluable details and information through chat with Unity DOTs team, which most likely wouldn't be covered otherwise in any individual blog posts, as most of our questions were quite specific.

Also an insight from games like VRising, are really appreciated technical info.

So if upcoming event will open to Q&A too, or share games technical challanges, then it allows to answer such questions, which DOTS devs maybe be looking for.

Just writing blogs alone, may be a bit shooting in the dark. Some will find them useful, some don't. But open discussions are good things.

tatsuuuuuuu and apkdev like this.
  4. WAYNGames

WAYNGames

Mark your calendar for December 8th :
    Hammer them with question.
    Just don't expect definitive and precise ETA.
    But at least you can get info on where things are going, what is the short terms focus.
    And provide feedback on your critical use case.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
    Antypodish, Anthiese and apkdev like this.
  5. Laicasaane

Laicasaane

Well, joining a live Q&A session is not an option for me. I would like to have a bunch of documentation, blog posts, forum discussions to read instead.

6. Antypodish

Antypodish

Why is that?
    It is not like you need sit 8 hrs staring at the discord.
    You can write the question and come back at own peace, when someone's replies.

tatsuuuuuuu and Laicasaane like this.
  7. WAYNGames

WAYNGames

Laicasaane likes this.
  8. TheOtherMonarch

TheOtherMonarch

I thought the blog post explained the general direction in which development is heading; but was short on technical details. I am glad to hear that determinism and animation is on the agenda. Both are areas that would benefit us greatly.

I am still not sure what cross-platform determinism means. I assume it is in the broader sense of applying to the x86-64 and ARM architectures. Rather than in the narrower sense of instruction set architecture. Or does it refer to microarchitecture Intel, AMD along with different generations of hardware from the same manufacture? Does platform correspond to the Unity Build settings? How does the Burst AOT settings where you can select target CPU architecture relate?

We would prefer to have a more performant compiler option only supporting x86-64 and limited to CPU microarchitecture’s that support AVX or AVX2. For all I know this is already supported by Burst.

If you support a high-performance determinism option, AVX is already a requirement in many games and AVX2 is not far behind. You may as well go with AVX2 because that will stand the test of time better. The Steam survey has AVX at 96.54% and AVX2 at 90.34%. Both are increasing at the rate of a few percentage points per year. AVX2 is probably around 3 years behind AVX and AVX was already a requirement for some games in 2019. It is a little early for AVX2 if you are launching tomorrow but in 18 months you will have company.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
    apkdev likes this.
  9. IsaacsUnity

IsaacsUnity

Unity Technologies

We hear you loud and clear! In terms of upcoming areas of development, as mentioned in the blog, we're looking into three main areas:
    • Consolidation of ECS workflows
    • Enabling cross-play multiplayer game creation
    • Enabling open-world game creation (including work around animation and worldbuilding)
    Our teams have been gearing up for our pre-release so far, but we're planning to share more blogs covering topics that are more technical in nature in the future. We will share them here when they become available, so stay tuned!

We also have an upcoming DOTS Dev Blitz day on December 8th dedicated to answering questions you might have, so I look forward to engaging with you there as well :)

10. wwWwwwW1

wwWwwwW1

Will Unity release the 2022.2 Megacity demo (HDRP&URP) for us to experience & learn ECS?

It's an amazing demo with beautiful graphics (HDRP ver.) and I can even run it on mobiles. (LWRP ver.)

I know that there is a 2018 release but it's nearly unusable now. (ECS has changed a lot)

11. IsaacsUnity

IsaacsUnity

Unity Technologies

Yes! We're preparing a refresh of Megacity and a new ECS Network Racing sample that showcases multiplayer implementation.

12. PolarTron

PolarTron

All this is cool and all but as a programmer I would really love some barebones multiplayer projects to start from. Garry's Mod has this with its "base" gamemode. A simple setup with team support out of the box.
    These projects should contain no assets. Just capsules running around and fully set up with matchmaking and Rival.

I'm going to test out these mega-projects too, but I already understand most of the DOTS features so I would like to just go ahead and make things immediately from starter projects.

13. DatCong

DatCong

is there come with any animation solution ?

14. Deleted User

Deleted User

DOTS is fast, but i really feel that unity must start focusing on ease of use of these technologies! Unity must provide a DOTS VS with complete functionality of jobs system and burst integrated in it and more streamlined workflows for artists to use DOTS for creating open world's easily without much knowledge of the underlying framework of the technology! Unreal does this job much better and at the same time being insanely fast due to nanite and other in-built performance tools like HLOD, world partition and also is much more time efficient and simpler because of those tools!! There is literally no reason to use unity DOTS over unreal 5 if making 3d games for pc and consoles! For example, Unity subscene is fast but unreal's world partitioning system is much better, it provides out of the box distance parameters for unloading and partitions the world into the given grid size automatically, and not just that it also has tightly integrated HLOD system in it which helps in creating low quality chunks with smaller memory footprints, allowing things to be rendered at very far distances without performance impacts! With VS the artists in my team can directly and easily author basic logics like input systems and animation and thus saving time of programmers, who can now focus more on heavy tasks! The animation system in unreal is much more advanced and has tools like motion warping which makes the development of parkour systems in our game much more simple and faster! And that's not it, there are many other features and tools like megascans etc which is making our job much easier and magnitude times faster than unity!! I really hope unity takes this feedback seriously if they want to target AAA! We are definitely going to switch to unreal for our next project!;)