Search Unity

Official Plastic SCM for Unity is now available in the Version Control package!

Discussion in 'Unity Version Control' started by marie-unity, Aug 6, 2021.

1. marie-unity

marie-unity

Administrator

Note: You can read more about Plastic SCM for Unity in our August 2021 blog post.

Note: You need to uninstall the Plastic SCM Asset Store plugin in order to use Plastic SCM for Unity via the Version Control package (com.unity.collab-proxy).

Hi everyone,

We are thrilled to announce that Plastic SCM for Unity is now available via the Version Control package in the Unity Package Manager for the current Tech Stream, and both 2019.4 and 2020.3 LTS. Here are the release versions:
    • 2019.4.29f1
    • 2020.3.15f1
    • 2021.1.15f1
    • 2021.2.0b6
    • 2022.1.0a4
    The Version Control package, formerly the Collaborate package, is a package built-in with Unity Editor that facilitates the process of enabling either Collaborate or Plastic SCM in your Unity project.

We also have a migration tool for any Collaborate users who want to try Plastic SCM out on a current project.

You can access Plastic SCM for Unity on any supported version by navigating to Window > Plastic SCM. From there, you’ll walk through a simple onboarding process, which will guide your account setup and ensure that your Unity project is configured correctly.

Once you complete the onboarding process, you will be ready to sync your project using a Plastic SCM Cloud Edition repository. The tool will automatically add a standard ignore file to ensure that you do not check in files that can cause unnecessary bloat to your repository. There will also be an automatic first check-in so that the cloud repository stays in sync with your local project.

Basic version control actions, such as viewing pending changes, checking in changes, and viewing changesets, don’t require a Plastic SCM Client install. However, if you want to use more advanced features, such as branching, you will be prompted to download the Plastic SCM client (if you have not already done so).

You can read more about Plastic SCM for Unity in the blog post we just released this morning on the Unity blog.

Please note that you need to uninstall the Plastic SCM Asset Store plugin in order to use Plastic SCM for Unity via the Version Control package (com.unity.collab-proxy).

Stay tuned as we continue to work on additional key features for this solution, such as the ability to join projects from the Unity Hub! Your feedback is invaluable to help us improve our integration of Plastic SCM in Unity. We would love for you to join the discussion by posting your feedback in this forum or by participating in studies related to Plastic SCM by signing up here!

2. Ruchir

Ruchir

One big problem right now that I am facing is that now
    • I'm able to make changes to assets like volume profiles (HDRP) without checking out (through volume GameObject they are referenced in), earlier they were also greyed out when not checked out.
    • They don't even show up on pending changes, I have to manually go and click the check out button or save the project for it show up on pending changes even though I made changes to them.
    • A little easy to understand concise documentation would be greatly appreciated as the official documentation is quite long currently and a bit confusing for me. For ex, how can I prevent a asset from being changed (scripts, scene, etc) when someone else is working on it as currently I can change it just fine even when the asset is checked out somewhere else.
    Edit: Not having a sub-menu like we have when enabling version control from project settings is also an inconvenience I would say:
    upload_2021-8-7_4-17-44.png

Icons for things like checked out remote, added remote are also missing currently

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
  3. xavier-ateo

xavier-ateo

Will you support self hosted servers in the future?

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  4. marie-unity

marie-unity

Administrator

Hi @xavier-ateo,

Yes! Actually, Plastic SCM for Unity works with both Enterprise Edition (the on-premises version of Plastic SCM) and Cloud Edition :)

5. Meceka

Meceka

Please include the "Revert Unchanged" or "Undo Unchanged" functionality that was in a context menu which appeared when clicking the "Changed Items" header. It existed in the old version control editor window.

That was very useful to quickly tidy up that list from unchanged items.

6. sbsmith

sbsmith

We're having an issue where global lock rules from cloud are not being applied when a checkout occurs within Unity.
    These are our local settings
    upload_2021-12-3_15-0-22.png

These are the cloud locking rules
    upload_2021-12-3_15-1-46.png
    We are seeing modified files with the checkmark but not the lock

7. Neonlyte

Neonlyte

I have been using the built-in version of PlasticSCM plugin for a long while. It seems that somewhere between 2021.2.2f1 and 2021.2.7f1, the built-in plugin got removed and I have to use the package manager version. That's nice, except that it depends on its own Newtonsoft.Json and I have my own copy of it that I pulled in using NuGet for Unity, because I use another NuGet packages that depends on Newtonsoft.Json. Because of this, the package conflicts with my project and I have to remove the package.

Fortunately, Unity's Newtonsoft.Json version is very new (12.0.0.0 as of writing). I ended up removing my private copy.

I think it's pretty clear that even for Unity yourself, built-in NuGet support is more and more needed.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
  8. khan-amil

khan-amil

Would be great to put on any of your onboarding stuff that we need to download and install the plastic software separately, as all your communication reads as it being "integrated" to unity.

9. MikeSaverUnity

MikeSaverUnity

Unity Technologies

Thanks Khan! And great note. While it is fully integrated with Unity if you're using one of the supported versions (above) and doesn't necessitate installing the client, other versions will indeed need a separate client. This page walks through both separate workflows, but we are working on a page on Unity.com that is a detailed step by step setting up inside the Unity editor, or with the client.,

https://www.plasticscm.com/plasticscm-cloud-edition/migrate-unity-projects

10. khan-amil

khan-amil

So, both the 2021.1.15f1 and 2021.2.0b6 versions have plastic all included, but using the stable 2021.2.4f1 you don't have plastic all included?

11. MikeSaverUnity

MikeSaverUnity

Unity Technologies

Sorry the above looks like a post from August, my mistake. That version will indeed work, here's the full list of supported versions.

12. khan-amil

khan-amil

Well I tested in 2021.2.4f1 and although the setup and initial parts worked like a charm, I had to install plastic as well to be able to commit to the cloud repo.

13. unisip

unisip

Quick question about Plastic: how can I ignore a file that was already checked-in by mistake? 'Add to ignore list' is greyed out, and the ignore.conf will only work for files not currently checked-in

14. heitorsampaio

heitorsampaio

Today Unity "upgrade" my project from Collab to Plastic SCM and this action completaly broke my UI.

When i open the uxml files, in toolkit editor preview, they are fine, but, in game, broken.

I'm panic. Took months to build this UI.

Karsten likes this.
  15. Karsten

Karsten

Even if people call me a hater now , but I am quite sure that is only the beginning of something more worse, better use git with LFS (if you have single files that are larger than 2GB each) and for people that dont like or dont know hwo to use Git there are some tools in teh Asset Store to have a build in Git client in the Unity Editor

16. Karsten

Karsten

yes they made it that you have to install their bloatware, very evil and deceitful to suggest on the frontpages everywhere like "its just a Unity Package" and then later enforce you to install a huge additional software one dont even knows what it is doing exactly.

17. khan-amil

khan-amil

Well the doc is not clear about needing to install it, but it's not bloatware.
    It's just a version manager client, like you'd have to install sourcetree or whatever to use git.

I've used plastic for 2 other games before andby far was the most plesant versionning system I've had to use, even if you can feel it's rough on the edges sometimes.
    The integration to unity is still really raw though, unfortunately.

18. Garrettec

Garrettec

Hello, we are using Plastic since 2014 but without Unity-Plastic plugin, because there is one issue which makes plugin very inconvenient to use:

While using the Plastic plugin for Unity you (or some script) remove any file and it is marked as deleted, then you add this file again (slightly modified) and it is marked as added. Now you have deleted and added files in pending changes. The "Search matches" option is grayed out (not available) in this case.

If you do the same operation but with the Plastic plugin closed (or turned off for older unity versions) then the Plastic client will detect such operation as a move (which is the desired behavior in most cases).

This is important because deleting and importing packages is exactly how you usually update third-party plugins in Unity. Is there a proper way to perform such an operation without disabling the Plastic plugin?

Another problem is: if you delete some folder, import an updated package with some of the files changed, and then decide to undo such operation by clicking "Undo changes" - you will receive a whole bunch of files with *.private.0 and *.private.0.meta endings.

UPD: Today I've updated version control package to the Version 1.15.12 and now there is no way to disable the plugin at all. The only way to work with Plastic in Unity now is to completely remove Version Control package from the package manager, otherwise you are stuck with the issue I've described.

IOU_RAY and koksaldim like this.
  19. Garrettec

Garrettec

Two months have passed, I've posted this question in both forums (Unity and Plastic), no answer and no even a hint that someone from developers acknowledge the issue... Awesome. It is so "Unity" (I mean "late Unity", but look what great trailer we shipped...)

Thygrrr and IOU_RAY like this.
  20. Karsten

Karsten

One does not need sourcetree or any other "version control client" to use Git, but ok...

21. khan-amil

khan-amil

As far as I know, Git does not come pre-installed on windows OS, nor with Unity. So even if you want to be a "purist" and use it from command line, you can't do that right off the bat.
    Contrary to how it was with Unity collaborate, and how the current documentation for plastic make it sounds.