Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Blocking unity from internet

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pointcache, Jul 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pointcache

pointcache

So i blocked every single .exe in the unity editor folder with a firewall and it refuses to launch now.
    Comparing that to when you actually disable the internet connection and it works,
    means it hid another app somewhere outside of the editor folder that detects that connection is present, what do you think can do this? I need to know how to block unity from internet.

Akimania likes this.
  2. neginfinity

neginfinity

Why?

Your installation is tied to your unity account. So requiring an internet connection is reasonabl.

VIC20, Kiwasi, Ryiah and 1 other person like this.
  3. r618

r618

@pointcache it might need loopback to communicate between components

4. Chrisasan

Chrisasan

You could try disabling your network while using unity. I know unity does have an offline mode, but the license must have already been initialized.

5. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

How did you block it, exactly? As r618 mentioned, Unity uses sockets extensively for interprocess communication.

QFSW likes this.
  6. pointcache

pointcache

Disabling network wont help as it results in the same freezing white screen (it works some times).
    Plus well, do you really expect me to constantly unplug my connection each time i want to launch unity?

To block it i used Firewall App Blocker app, which is basically an interface for windows firewall,
    i selected every .exe file in the unity editor folder and dragged it into the FAB, and thats it.

7. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

That sounds like a bug in Unity to me. Do you mind submitting with it repro steps?

8. pointcache

pointcache

Repro:
    1. Get FirewallAppBlocker, or anything like it, or do it manually through win firewall
    2. Search for all .exe files with win search, select them all, drag on Fab, or manually add them all to windows firewall and block
    3. Launch unity, close, repeat until it fails to load (mine fails on second launch - first loads ok, then fails)
    It fails either to a white screen with a loadbar, or (a new one) to just a black window

Same happens when the connection is bad, yesterday it locked me out of unity for a long time i got frustrated and went to bed angry because couldn't solve it.

editor log from Appdata/roaming
    Also the log thinks i have win 7, when i have 10.
    Code (CSharp):
    2. LICENSE SYSTEM [2017731 13:13:24] No start/stop license dates set
    4. LICENSE SYSTEM [2017731 13:13:24] Next license update check is after 2017-07-31T18:59:12
    6. Built from '2017.1/release' branch; Version is '2017.1.0f3 (472613c02cf7) revision 4662803'; Using compiler version '160040219'
    7. OS: 'Windows 7  (6.1.7600) 64bit' Language: 'en' Physical Memory: 16325 MB
    8. BatchMode: 0, IsHumanControllingUs: 1, StartBugReporterOnCrash: 1, Is64bit: 1, IsPro: 0
    10. COMMAND LINE ARGUMENTS:
    11. D:\u2017.1\Editor\Unity.exe
    12. [CEF] undefined in file:///C%3A%2FUsers%2Falex%2FAppData%2FRoaming%2FUnity%2FPackages%2Fnode_modules%2Funity-editor-home%2Fdist/assets/unity-editor-home.js at line 39
    13. Error loading https://api.unity.com/v1/oauth2/authorize?client_id=launcher&display=launcher&locale=en_US&response_type=code&redirect_uri=launcher://unity/C%3A%2FUsers%2Falex%2FAppData%2FRoaming%2FUnity%2FPackages%2Fnode_modules%2Funity-editor-home%2Fdist/index.html#/login
    15. (Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor/Platform/Interface/NativeWebViewWindow.cpp Line: 51)

9. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I'm also intrigued.

That said, I used to do things like this when I was younger and more paranoid than I am now.

lmbarns likes this.
  10. tlt

tlt

I have the same big problem with Unity 2017.1. When internet is bad or when there's no internet but only lan, impossible to launch Unity, impossible to work offline. The only solution is to disable network :(

Akimania likes this.
  11. Lucas_Rybzinski_Pinto

Lucas_Rybzinski_Pinto

It would be a good feature to turn off. Sometimes there are some bugs or tests that include not having internet connection in the game and I have to turn down the internet in the entire OS to test it.

12. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

It is never advisable to "simulate" lack of internet for testing. What you are currently doing, for 90% of use cases is the correct way to test for lack of internet if you want reliable results.

For these types of tests, its best to use an actual build on the target device.

Ryiah likes this.
  13. Ryiah

Ryiah

Like the official developer mentioned a few posts back it's necessary for interprocess communication in Unity. If you switched it off the editor would cease to function properly if it functioned at all which would invalidate any testing you may want to do in that state. You need actual hardware if you want results that you can trust.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
  14. lmbarns

lmbarns

2017 thread

But lmao at OP self immolation "Help I blocked it and it no longer works!" in the face of "this is needed to run".

15. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Please check last post dates before responding. Necro, closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.