Search Unity

1. New Unity Live Help updates. Check them out here!

Dismiss Notice

Block Story -> Minecraft like RPG for android. Beta testers wanted

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by goldbug, Mar 9, 2012.

1. goldbug

goldbug

Hi everyone,

My partner and I are developing a game for Android called Block Story. It is going to be an RPG game similar to Minecraft and Infiniminer only faster, prettier and funner and in your phone. Currently it is in beta and coming into shape rather quickly.

We want people to test it on their phones, so please head over here to try it for yourself and give us feedback. Specifically, it would be great if you try it with different settings and report back FPS (lower left corner) along with your phone description. Thanks.

If you don't have an android phone and are considering getting one just to play our game :) , you can still try it in the web version

Here is a video showcasing some of the features:

Features already implemented:
    • Endless world in all directions, even up and down
    • Super fast, works well even on arm6 phones
    • floating islands
    • Interconnected cave system that extends for kilometers
    • Beautiful water
    • Beautiful terrain generation, with cliffs, kilometer high mountains, snow, underground air pockets.
    • Colored lights
    • Day/night cycle
    • Snow up in the mountains
    • Digging and placing blocks
    • Supports multiple languages so far we have English, Spanish and Russian. If you would like to translate to something else, drop me a note.

Features in the pipeline:
    • Monsters
    • Game saving and loading
    • Hell, dig deep and you can find hell
    • Leveling and skills
    • World sharing so you can upload your world to our web site and people can search, vote, comment on and download worlds
    • Many more (open for ideas).

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  2. erenaydin

erenaydin

Awesome game,
    I'd like to join beta but I have Samsung Galaxy-mini, I don't know it can carry it :D

3. goldbug

goldbug

Please, go ahead and try it. I would love to know how it performs in low end androids. Just don't increase the terrain load distance, that might consume too much memory for your phone.

4. goldbug

goldbug

@bisaniyehocam

By the way, your skeleton pack is very good. And you made it free, thank you. We are heavily leaning towards using it for this game.

5. erenaydin

erenaydin

I'm uploading it to my phone. I will write when it finish.
    //
    First of all on my phone, loading is very long :)

When I'm staying I get 21 fps,
    When moving (creating blocks) 11 fps.

after that, I made all settings low,
    now at staying 40 fps
    moving 25 fps

Processor is okay, but If my phone get a 128 ram more. It will run awesome.
    Ram is not enough. But wondering why they used 150+ mb ram. If you can decrease it, every phone will able to run this.

6. goldbug

goldbug

Define "very long". How long is "very long"? Is it in the menu screen? is it during game play? is it when you walk around and it loads chunks next to you?

Those are some good FPS. It is comfortable to play with anything above 15.

Easier said than done. This thing is already optimized to hell and back, so there aren't a whole lot of places where I can cut on memory or cpu anymore. But I am still on the lookout. BTW, how do you check how much RAM the app is using in android? Is the 150+ mb ram what you get with low terrain distance?

The target for us is arm6 phones. The reason, is that there are so many of them out there, and the competition like MinecraftPE does not run on them at all. CPU wise, we are there. Memory wise, we will try to be better, but with low chunk distance loading it is quite playable.

I see your location is Turkey. If you are interested in seeing the game in your language and would like to donate about 5 - 10 minutes of your time, I could send you a file and a tool for translation. As a token of gratitude, you would get the full version for free once we put it in the android market :).

7. erenaydin

erenaydin

When on the first loading and
    When I'm creating a new game :)

I looked it at the task manager.
    Yes, low terrain distance. But doesn't matter. Not 150+ at the game is just started. Moving, moving, moving and its increasing. When its come to 150+ my phone is gone.

and yes i can translate it. Send it to erencik.aydincik@gmail.com

8. WooSpringBreak

WooSpringBreak

What a shockingly original game.

9. Blacklight

Blacklight

Oh yeah? Well what a shockingly... uh...
    I got nothing.

@paulp But he does have a point. What would convince a customer to buy your game over Minecraft? How is your game going to be different?

10. goldbug

goldbug

First, I am not competing against Minecraft. The target is Minecraft PE, since it is a mobile game. There are several reasons why someone would prefer my game over minecraft PE:

Non functional features, which are substantial
    • I get roughly twice the frame rate than Minecraft PE on the same hardware. Block Story is very fast
    • Block Story works on arm6 phones. THIS IS HUGE.

Functional features
    • I will have skills as you level up, like flying
    • I Infinite terrain even up and down.
    • Torch, for seeing in caves.
    • Hell and heaven. Will make it very interesting to dig deep or fly high.
    • Beautiful terrain, with floating islands, kilometer high mountains
    • Colored lights. You have to see them, they are stunning.
    • Easy to use controller with option for tilt navigation.

We will be the first to bring it to arm6, will be the first with infinite up and down, colored lights, and will focus much more on fun gameplay, with the monsters and leveling, and we will be at least twice as fast while doing it.

Please note that Minecraft is not too original either. It is based on Infiniminer. That has not stopped it from being successful. I have no delusions of being the next Notch, all I am hopping for is that it sells well in the android market.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  11. Aeschylus

Aeschylus

I loaded it onto my Samsung Galaxy S2 (the AT&T version, I think it's SGH I777). I got a force quit a few seconds after getting into the world the first time, but after that no issues.

I get very nice frame rates at the stock settings (50 to 60 fps). I kept increasing the draw distance and maxed out the texture detail. I was able to get draw distance pretty far (I think 150m or so) before dipping into the 25fps range. So I have no complaints at all about the performance. It looks arguably better than Minecraft does on my laptop, and definitely has higher frame rate with similar settings.

I agree with you about your comments regarding originality and much of what you say about your game as compared to Minecraft, however many people find it offputting when somebody is so brash about why their thing is better than somebody else's. This is a development forum so your target demo is probably not here, but I'm a business owner (not in the gaming industry) who has gained attention largely through forums. I would just recommend being careful about how you put yourself out there when you represent your company/product.

The fact of the matter is that Minecraft is more well-known, so no matter how legitimate you think it is (and again I agree that Minecraft deserves no originality awards), the Minecraft comparison will keep coming up, so don't take it personally, and think about it seriously. I think you've got some great things going for you. The lighting is really good. I like the glowing ores. Infinite verticality is cool. The torch in caves is great. I also really like the floating islands. Your plans for the future sound good to me - no complaints. I think you could probably do more to differentiate the graphical style just a little further. But you have a good answer to the Minecraft comparisons - don't take offense to them or you risk alienating your audience.

Hope those thoughts are somewhat helpful!

12. goldbug

goldbug

I did not even realize I sounded brash. I will keep that in mind the next time someone asks. I edited my post to be less so (good thing you did not quote me :) ). Thank you for your input.

I do not mind comparisons to Minecraft. Heck, I am being very upfront about it and even saying this is similar in the title. I welcome the question because I think we compare well.

Coming up:
    * We are redoing the gui using NGUI. I am getting about 30% boost in FPS by dumping OnGUI, so FPS will be even better than it is now.
    * We are very close to start adding monsters now.
    * Fixed rare, but possible falling through terrain issue.

13. Aeschylus

Aeschylus

Oh, one thing I noticed is that being underwater acts strangely. There doesn't seem to be an ability to swim - you just fall to the bottom, then the jump buttons jumps off the bottom as usual, but there's no floating physics action, and graphically, once you get past the edges of the water, there's no indication that you're underwater.

If adding underwater physics is not at the top of the priority list, I think it might be good at least for now to add some kind of visual cue to let people know they're underwater - otherwise it's very confusing to be wandering through a cave, climb up a mountain, and at the top of the mountain to come out of the water that you didn't know you were in!

14. goldbug

goldbug

Thank you for the feedback. Swimming is definitely high in the priority list.

Currently the top 3 items in our list are:

• Persistence. We need to save the world so you can resume your game later on.
    • Monsters. The game is no fun without monsters.
    • Swimming. This is actually easy compared to the other stuff.

There is one hint you are underwater: there is a cyan hue in the textures. This is too subtle now, but we don't really expect a problem once swimming is implemented.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  15. goldbug

goldbug

New version 2.2.5.2. Available in web player and in phone

Version 2.2.5.2:
    • Fix tilt mode
    • Main screen brings back the green Block Story label
    • Monster now comes in 3 sizes: Baby Giggles, Mr. Giggles and Grampa Giggles.
    • equipment icon now aligns properly at top left corner
    • Magic. Select the skull in the inventory, and tap Mr. Giggles.
    • Now you can kill Mr. Giggles
    • Monsters have a health bar and name above their head

Version 2.2:
    • Bodacious new GUI, based on the fantastic NGUI framework.
    • Now you can open inventory, and keep playing. Perfect for building since you can quickly switch between different items quickly and without fuss.
    • Sliders in settings page are easier to hit and easier to read.
    • The settings background is transparent. When you adjust sliders, you can see the effects immediatelly, as well as how it affects fps.
    • Completelly rewritten from scratch collision detection system. Now player cannot fall through the ground (I call upon all beta testers to break it). This rework was necesary in order to have monsters.
    • I get around 60% more FPS now in my phone. Will see what testers report.
    • Stars are back at night
    • Added a planet to night skybox
    • Now we can have fog even on dynamic sky. Configuration is simplified to a simple slider for fog density. Set it to 0 for maximum performance.
    • Dynamic, vs foggy vs simple sky is gone. Now there is a simple sky quality slider that trades speed for quality.
    • Building at your feet should work better now.
    • Improved rock, ore and leafs textures.
    • We have our first monster. There is one worm in the world, his name is Fifi. He is not the smartest tool in the shed, but he can kill you.

16. 3dDude

3dDude

It looks good, but I think it will be seen as a minecraft clone...

Cheers

unityunity