Search Unity

Block Head Racing - (WIP Preview)

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by GWPGearWorx, Apr 27, 2008.

1. GWPGearWorx

GWPGearWorx

Hello All;

The past couple days I have been working on some art assets for a game I am working on, called Block Head Racing. It is a Go-Kart racer which will have some physics based interaction, also including power ups and other fun features. I know there are quite a few racing games in the works by other Unity users, however I always wanted to make a cool kart racing game, so I thought why not ;) The track featured in the below images, are the test track for the karts controls and physics. Once we have the control scheme nailed down, we will continue to build upon that, which will lead to a full casual game release.

Please note that the following images are a WORK IN PROGRESS, I have other track props / assets such as grass, signs, billboards e.t.c that need to be made and added to the track.

Images removed, please check my last post to see newer screenshots.

Anyway I hope you liked the little preview of Block Head Racing :) We are always looking for help, please feel free to contact me via e-mail or PM.

2. Dragon Rider

Dragon Rider

Oh, those poor ragdolls! Hehehe. Looks good. When will you have a beta test? *is hopeful*

3. GameMoth

GameMoth

Reminds me of Blockland. :)
    Looks very cool. Environment looks rich for its theme too.

4. maxkhoward

maxkhoward

I really like the way you've utilized the style to minimize complex surface texture. It looks really funky but I think the 'Blockheads' just make it look like you couldn't be bothered to create characters which are suited to the theme.

Looks like you should have characters like that off Animal Crossing or something more original.

[/img]

5. Dreamora

Dreamora

very unique style but the grass with the whirls somehow looks like it would cause headache or the like with the time.

6. GWPGearWorx

GWPGearWorx

Hey guys :)

Thanks for the comments.

Just a little note... As I mentioned this is a WIP. The DRIVER is NOT the games actual driver lol, It is a mere place holder.

The actual game driver is still in the works..... As for the terrain when you are driving it is not as distracting because of the grass and flowers. (which is not in the screenshots shown here.)

I will be adding some more screenshots soon, once I get the driver rigged and ready for animation :)

Take care.

Steve

7. GWPGearWorx

GWPGearWorx

Ok here is a WIP of one of the drivers. The games visual style is meant to be simplistic and cartoony. NOT because I am lazy hahahaha, but because I want to make a cute kid friendly and fun kart racing game :) This is still a work in progress and is not final. You can customize your racer, by changing body texture, hair style, eye wear and hats. More on this soon.

Here he is:

Take care everyone.

8. EducaSoft

EducaSoft

How many polygons is this figure ?

I'm trying to make a similar type of character, but in my case it will even look more like a lego minifigure :)

Regards,

Bart

9. maxkhoward

maxkhoward

Gotta say. I love it. Do you have a new promo shot with the new character?

10. GWPGearWorx

GWPGearWorx

Hey guys;

Time for another little update. Here are a couple pictures of him on the kart in the game, with the new level assets e.t.c in place. I still need to add in more props e.t.c but here is what it looks like so far ;)

@ Bart: He is around the 1300 poly mark.

Take care all

11. EducaSoft

EducaSoft

Very nice cartoony style.

I suppose you have used the terrain engine, but with only billboards ?

The terrain might be a little too detailed in number of props or texture on it to get a real full cartoony view. Its still a little to flashy in my opinion, but the rest looks top class.

Would love to drive some laps on that track.

12. amcclay

amcclay

Very nice!

Another Wind Waker fan I gather?

Wonder if it Unity is capable of getting that *exact* wind waker cell shading look. This is close, but wind waker doesn't do the 'gradual' shading it's more just 2 or 3 solid colors.