Search Unity

Blobs on Tiled Textures as camera gets closer, how to fix/remove?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by z0code0z, Jan 12, 2020.

1. z0code0z

z0code0z

When the camera gets close to a texture that is highly tiled, blobs start to appear that have crisper and higher quality textures which is the opposite of what i want as the the blurry "fuzzy" look (when the camera is far away) is what I was looking for

Does anyone know how to keep the prevent the blobs from showing up?

upload_2020-1-12_4-11-42.png
    ~notice the dark blob patch (this moves around as I rotate/move the camera)

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. z0code0z

z0code0z

I did some more testing and even with Mip Maps disabled completely, this still occurs

upload_2020-1-12_13-37-16.png

3. DavidSWu

DavidSWu

The top image looks like mipmapping. The bottom one I am not sure about, but it does look different.
    I have seen cascaded shadow maps artifacts like that. Do you have shadows on or a point light or something?
    Try reducing the resolution of your grass (you can do that in the texture settings)
    Disabling mipmaps entirely is not ideal as it can get very expensive if your texture is high res seen from far away (every fetch will miss the cache)

4. z0code0z

z0code0z

the second picture has mipmap generate not ticked (the first picture has mipmaps enabled)

I've tried using texture.mipmapbias and the effect still occurs no matter what value i use (except some extreme value like 20 where it turns into a plain green color and no texture)

I have it tiled 10x and 10y to achieve the 'blurred' grass look but on mobile, the blobs become EXTREMELY apparent and they move like crazy

5. z0code0z

z0code0z

upload_2020-1-12_15-33-1.png

this is the look I'm going for but when i get closer, it starts to look like the pictures i posted above
    thanks for the help btw!

6. z0code0z

z0code0z

So I've isolated it (or atleast i think i have) and i believe it has to do with the normal maps because once i remove them, the issues almost vanish, I would like to keep them but for the meantime It'll be fine.

If anyone can figure out why normal maps cause this, let me know!

Thanks!

7. DavidSWu

DavidSWu

When you changed the mip settings for the texture did you also change them for the normal maps?
    Normal map compression can cause artifacts, especially on mobile where they are compressed to 4bpp by default.
    You might try disabling texture compression on the normal maps and possibly reducing their resolution for a smoother look.

8. z0code0z

z0code0z

The settings don't do much to fix it, and setting mip map bias does not work on Android unfortunately, for the time being it seems fine enough, I just have to be careful with how I place the camera

9. z0code0z

z0code0z

Welp, after messing with the lighting to my liking, the issue became much more apparent and easier to spot

this time, I don't have a normal attached at all and it still occurs

10. DavidSWu

DavidSWu

What kind of light is it? Are shadows enabled?